1. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 20:30
    I don't think I am challenging Genesis. I am challenging some peoples' opinions about what it means.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 20:361 edit
    Originally posted by catstorm
    Luke 3:11 says whoever has two coats should give one away. Why do Christians with closets full of coats insist that Genesis must be read literally?
    Luke 3:11 says whoever has two coats should give one away. Why do Christians with closets full of coats insist that Genesis must be read literally?

The passage is representative of a believer dealing with the root problem of anxiety and greed. He trusts God to meet his needs. The root anxiety is overcome by his trusting in God's provision.

He does not freak out in times of deprivation and can share with someone in need because his own anxiety is under the control of the Holy Spirit.

By the way, this was the saying of John the Baptist. But latter we have similar words spoken by Christ.

This matter is to be done IN God, with God, by God, in the presence and enjoyment of God. This is not a passage saying "Go off now and be good people on your own mustered up natural strength."

This a representative exhortation showing that trust in God should arrest a man's anxiety and greediness stemming from fear. It is not a passage saying one should be foolish.

Does this help to make the passage clearer? You do not have to run to your closet to see how well you're doing. If you love God, a time will come when you are called upon to be willing to be seemingly inconvenienced for the sake of your trust in Him and your love for others.

This is not the 11th commandment "Thou shalt empty your closet of all coats."

Keep reading and praying over what you read.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 20:451 edit
    I don't think I am challenging Genesis. I am challenging some peoples' opinions about what it means.
    If you are a Christian, God will deal with you as a Father deals with his child. There is learning curve.

Often a small voice will urge you to trust in God for so much. God will not take easily throw you into a demand which your spiritual age is not equiped yet to handle.

If you are faithful in a small things then you will graduate to a deeper experience. By degrees then you progress.

May be today the Lord would not say to a new believer "Give away your one and only car." Maybe in this stage the Spirit would merely say "Instead of going to the movies tonight, spend an hour telling you friend about how you met Me."

If you handle this then your will grow stronger. Obedience leads to more strength and greater grace. Then He will make some other perhaps deeper request. As you learn to obey the enjoyment of God as life deepens. You find that God is a sheer enjoyment.

Do you put a child in 10th grade right away? Of course not. Why would the heavenly Father not treat us as growing children, maturing by degrees also?

As you read, you should pray over and about what you read. You come to the word of God ALSO coming to God Himself.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 21:33
    My point is that this verse is not to be read literally.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 21:431 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    You'll take that grudge with you to the grave won't you ?
    Don't make me start on your weirdo ideas again.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 21:44
    What's the difference?
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 22:02
    Originally posted by CalJust
    The OP imho poses a very simple, but very real, issue, and it deserves an answer, not a reference to a video.

The question, as I understand it being posed, is exactly WHEN is something a metaphor, or an allegory, and when should it be taken literally? And who decides?

Here is my opinion, and I don't deny that it is subjective:

On a scale of 1 to 10, ...[text shortened]... olic, and 10 is absolutely literal, Genesis 1 rates a 1 and the coat story in Matthew rates a 7.
    The coat story doesn't say if you have two coats you must give one away. It says if you have two of something that is needed (a coat to help survive cold weather) and you are aware of a brother who has none, then you should offer it (one of your coats) to him. I say "offer" because it does't mean the one who is doing without will accept the help... pride often prevents people from accepting help.

The story isn't just about coats, it's about a principle of giving where there is a need. Christians helping to build wells for people who have no access to clean water is just one example of this principle.

The OP selected only one small part of that message to make it appear it is simply an injunction to give things away for no apparent reason. So I can't take his objection to Christians having boat loads of coats in their closets seriously. It also presumes he is able to look into all of their closets and see what they have... how, by remote viewing?
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 22:25
    It is a fact that many Christians have wealth that they could give to the poor and choose not to. I am not claiming to have super vision, only that this verse is widely acceptef as being nonliteral.
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 22:27
    The difference between rejecting an opinion about the Bible and rejecting the Bible itself is that the Bible is God's word and an opinion about the Biblr is an opinion.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 22:39
    The difference between rejecting an opinion about the Bible and rejecting the Bible itself is that the Bible is God's word and an opinion about the Biblr is an opinion.
    This fact is missed by many here. The two are often confused.

This shows an insight which many who think they are secure in their beliefs miss by a mile. "Opinions are just opinions, not facts." Many miss a truth here and there in God's Word because they believe they already know what it means, and after all, who are you to tell them different?
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 22:49
    I am not telling them they are wrong, only that it is an opinion which may be right or wrong, as mine may also be wrong.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 22:56
    I do realise that thanks, but in reality there is no difference.

For example;

- Chrisitan A reads passage X and determins it to be God's wording meaning Y
    - Christian B reads same passage X and determins it to be God's word meaning Z

Each challenges the other and each believes the other to be challenging God's word. Of course this thinking is completely illogical but it is what drives the JWs here to believe they are right and everyone else is a "balloon head" [TM robbie carrobie]. It is also what drives RJHinds to believe that I should be burnt in hell for eternity - he actually explained it as such.
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 23:10
    But one of them could be right, assuming that there is a God. One of the opinions could be right even if we don't know which.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 23:183 edits
    But one of them could be right, assuming that there is a God. One of the opinions could be right even if we don't know which.
    Yes...but which one? My point is that the reality is that they both think the other is challenging the word of God; whose to say which? Your whole premise is moot as no religionist will concede on an area which they think is (their) god's meaning.

PS try using "reply & quote" instead of just "reply" so others can see you you are replying to, thanks.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 23:37
    Originally posted by sonship
    You'll take that grudge with you to the grave won't you ?
    Perhaps if you characterize his disagreement with you as a mere "grudge" you can tell yourself he doesn't have a point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree