Logic

Logic

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
04 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Just as a painting is evidence of the painter and a building is evidence of a builder, the creation is evidence of the Creator God.
And the air is evidence for the airer, the grass is evidence for a grasser, the stone is evidence for the stooner?

Of course not. That's animism.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jun 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
And the air is evidence for the airer, the grass is evidence for a grasser, the stone is evidence for the stooner?

Of course not. That's animism.
The air, grass, and stone are creations of God the Creator of course.

F

Moves
04 Jun 14

The air, grass, and stone are creations of God the Creator of course.
That's your religion, not mine.

P

Moves
04 Jun 14

I believe you are pointing out one of the problems with the atheists not seeing evidence of God in His creation all around them. They don't have faith that God exists so they don't see the evidence of his existence even when it is pointed out to them.

This is one of the purposes of my questioning the theory of evolution and the so-called millions and bil ...[text shortened]... t faith in Christ and the truth of the Holy Bible one side interprets that evidence differently.
If faith is required to see the evidence as you do, it seems to be a waste of time for you to argue about evidence with those who do not have faith. Your logical progression should be to get people to agree with your faith, and only then talk to them about evidence.

P

Moves
04 Jun 14

No scientific proofs are needed for the existence of god. Why? Because god is not a part of science. You cannot test god to see if he exists. Either he does or either he doesn't. But it is outside the domain of science to even deal with existence of god. That's why it's called religion.

The only thing needed is faith. Either you have it, or you don't. That's all.
It would be true that science can’t address the question of a deist god, but it could possibly address the question of a god like the Christian god. A deistic god just sets things in motion and doesn’t intervene after that, so it would be virtually impossible to detect a god like that. However, the Christian god is portrayed as a “living god” that routinely interacts with the world and humanity. A god like can possibly be tested for.

The only way a god like that could not be tested for is if it successfully covered up all evidence of its existence. Once a god like that has shown itself (as Christians claim it has), and shown evidence of itself (as Christians also claim it has), then the claim enters the realm of science, and can be put to scientific scrutiny.

F

Moves
04 Jun 14

Originally posted by PatNovak
It would be true that science can’t address the question of a deist god, but it could possibly address the question of a god like the Christian god. A deistic god just sets things in motion and doesn’t intervene after that, so it would be virtually impossible to detect a god like that. However, the Christian god is portrayed as a “living god” that routinely ...[text shortened]... laim it has), then the claim enters the realm of science, and can be put to scientific scrutiny.
How would you set up an experiment that conclusively proves the existence of a christian god? faith is not enough, we need repetitive experiment that gives the same result whenever it is done and whoever who does it and wherever it is done. When you set up this experiment, do you really think you will get a conclusive result?

I say that science is science and religion is religion, and the two will never meet, and is not meant to meet.

P

Moves
04 Jun 14
1 edit

How would you set up an experiment that conclusively proves the existence of a christian god? faith is not enough, we need repetitive experiment that gives the same result whenever it is done and whoever who does it and wherever it is done. When you set up this experiment, do you really think you will get a conclusive result?

I say that science is science and religion is religion, and the two will never meet, and is not meant to meet.
First, it is unnecessary to set up an experiment that conclusively proves the existence of the Christian god. That is not what science does. There is no such thing as an experiment that conclusively proves quantum mechanics or the standard model of particle physics or the theory of relativity. What science does is test individual claims and predictions, and then form broader conclusions from the results of these various experiments.

Second, the burden is on the positive claimant. When a Christian makes a claim that has real world results (Jesus rose from the dead, or god answered their prayer) the burden is on them to substantiate the claim. Only Christians who claim that there is absolutely no evidence of their god should have any possibility of immunity to this requirement.

Third, I can think of at least one experiment that has been done, with results against the Christian god hypothesis (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studies_on_intercessory_prayer).

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jun 14

The only way that you can keep science and religion separate is to claim that God has no observable effect on the universe. Once you admit that he has an effect then he falls squarely within the domain of science and we can start to look for such observations.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jun 14

If faith is required to see the evidence as you do, it seems to be a waste of time for you to argue about evidence with those who do not have faith. Your logical progression should be to get people to agree with your faith, and only then talk to them about evidence.
There are other people that do what you say. But I do not choose to do that, because I have free will.

P

Moves
04 Jun 14

There are other people that do what you say. But I do not choose to do that, because I have free will.
I am not questioning your freedom to do it, I am questioning the wisdom of it.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Jun 14

Could god make a logic and gate where a 1 and a 1 or a high and a high to a 2 input and gate be a zero or low at the output?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 Jun 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
Could god make a logic and gate where a 1 and a 1 or a high and a high to a 2 input and gate be a zero or low at the output?
Yes. He can short the output to ground. 🙂

P

Moves
04 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
If I understand your description then not only can God, but so can we. It's called a NAND gate.

--- Penguin

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Jun 14

I do not see why I have to constantly try to disprove this kind of thinking in this forum.

There happen to be some theists who do not subscribe to the kinds of literal, unimaginative theories that these YECs claim are true. Their "truth of the Bible" comments are egotism in the extreme. What they mean is the "truth of their interpretation of the Bible", which is a far different thing.

There are plenty of theists out here who embrace science. Religion and science are both sides of the same truth coin. That each side derides the other as somehow false is ridiculous.

P

Moves
04 Jun 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
I do not see why I have to constantly try to disprove this kind of thinking in this forum.

There happen to be some theists who do not subscribe to the kinds of literal, unimaginative theories that these YECs claim are true. Their "truth of the Bible" comments are egotism in the extreme. What they mean is the "truth of their interpretation of the ...[text shortened]... sides of the same truth coin. That each side derides the other as somehow false is ridiculous.
It was a young-earth-creationist to whom his post was directed. I don't think you should feel any need to leap to RJ's defense here.

Penguin