1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 18:58
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    the beginning was by far the best bit. its on the bbc iplayer. i liked that it avoided the middle class view of britain and seemed very down to earth, but spectacular at the same time. macca bit was pretty bad. they should have finished with the arctic monkeys they seemed to fit in with the vibe better.
    i think i liked it so much because i do spend mos ...[text shortened]... rld.
    i tried not to think of the money spent. it was hard not to though during the nhs section.
    I've now managed to see the whole thing and I retract my comment about a waste of money. The 1st 30 mins were the best - spectacularly imaginative and briliantly executed.
  2. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 11:57
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I've now managed to see the whole thing and I retract my comment about a waste of money. The 1st 30 mins were the best - spectacularly imaginative and briliantly executed.
    Yep, I thought it was extremely good. And even the geeks got recognition, in the form of Tim Berners-Lee, for the huge contribution to modern society.

Looking forward to the canoeing on Wednesday!

--- Penguin
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 14:57
    British Tory backbench MP, Aidan Burley [who recently drew media flak for attending a Nazi-themed stag party], in a tweet, criticized the opening ceremony for being ethnically diverse, calling it "multicultural crap".
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 19:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    British Tory backbench MP, Aidan Burley [who recently drew media flak for attending a Nazi-themed stag party], in a tweet, criticized the opening ceremony for being ethnically diverse, calling it "multicultural crap".
    And I suspect we will see him rowing backwards faster than Steve Redgrave in time.

What an ar*e.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 21:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm quite cynical and didn't think that at all. Perhaps he's a knob.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 21:46
    And the people bowed and prayed
    To the neon god they made
    And the sign flashed out its warning
    In the words that it was forming
    And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
    And tenement halls"
    And whispered in the sounds of silence
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 21:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    And the people bowed and prayed
    To the neon god they made
    And the sign flashed out its warning
    In the words that it was forming
    And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
    And tenement halls"
    And whispered in the sounds of silence
    Are you not allowed to watch the Olympics then?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 08:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you not allowed to watch the Olympics then?
    allowed?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 08:27
    allowed?
    Yes. Allowed. You make it perfectly clear here on this forum week in week out - inadvertently sometimes, perhaps - that there's hardly a thought in your head that is not strictly in accordance with the ideology of your religious organization. If you ever deviate, or slip up, or contradict yourself, you then fold yourself into almost every imaginable dark debating corner to try to avoid admitting that there has been error or deviation.

So, with your S&G quote - the mention of "bowed and prayed", "the neon god" and "prophets" etc. - it sounded like you were seeking to lend a slightly quasi-religious air to what is presumably your ambivalence about the Olympics, I reckon it's a fair question to ask whether your 'elders' or your magazines frown upon the sports event or whether it's the opening ceremony that bothers you. If not, it makes your reference to Simon's portentous lyric sound a bit silly and pompous. 😀
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 08:452 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. Allowed. You make it perfectly clear here on this forum week in week out - inadvertently sometimes, perhaps - that there's hardly a thought in your head that is not strictly in accordance with the ideology of your religious organization. If you ever deviate, or slip up, or contradict yourself, you then fold yourself into almost every imaginable dark debati t makes your reference to Simon's portentous lyric sound a bit silly and pompous. 😀
    Does it? Indeed, please explain how the elders are going to enforce this alleged
    decree? Shall they set up camp in every private home monitoring what it is we view on
    television? This makes your 'fair', question utterly ludicrous and highlights the futility of
    trying to reason from such a stance, if you want to howl into the twilight, that's up to
    you, the caravan trundles on. The Simon quotation is there, make of it what you will.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 08:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. Allowed. You make it perfectly clear here on this forum week in week out - inadvertently sometimes, perhaps - that there's hardly a thought in your head that is not strictly in accordance with the ideology of your religious organization. If you ever deviate, or slip up, or contradict yourself, you then fold yourself into almost every imaginable dark debati ...[text shortened]... t makes your reference to Simon's portentous lyric sound a bit silly and pompous. 😀
    that there's hardly a thought in your head that is not strictly in accordance with the
    ideology of your religious organization

(1 Corinthians 10:31) . . .Therefore, whether you are eating or drinking or doing
    anything else, do all things for God’s glory. . .

thank you for inadvertently bringing this scriptural principle to the fore.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 09:34
    Does it? Indeed, please explain how the elders are going to enforce this alleged
    decree? Shall they set up camp in every private home monitoring what it is we view on
    television? This makes your 'fair', question utterly ludicrous and highlights the futility of
    trying to reason from such a stance, if you want to howl into the twilight, that's ...[text shortened]... p to
    you, the caravan trundles on. The Simon quotation is there, make of it what you will.
    You're not willing to come out and say straight whether such entertainments as the Olympics or its opening ceremony are frowned upon by your organization? Just a deflecting 'joke' [scarcely relevant to my question, which did not mention "enforcing" anything] about 'elders' "[setting] up camp in every private home monitoring what it is [you] view on television", is that all? Why be so evasive about your organization's attitude to events such as the Olympics?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 09:372 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    You're not willing to come out and say straight whether such entertainments as the Olympics or its opening ceremony are frowned upon by your organization? Just a deflecting 'joke' [scarcely relevant to my question, which did not mention "enforcing" anything] about 'elders' "[setting] up camp in every private home monitoring what it is [you] view on television", ...[text shortened]... ? Why be so evasive about your organization's attitude to events such as the Olympics?
    The post, the quotation, the Olympics has absolutely nothing to do with my
    organisation. It is perhaps a reflection of the weakness of your stance that you seek to
    make it so. As far as I am aware, we have stated nothing, as an organisation, with
    regard to the 2012 Olympics, or the opening ceremony. In fact, our two latest
    magazines are entitled, how to find a job and keep it and Why? are victims among the
    most innocent and defenceless among us.

watchtower.org
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 09:41
    that there's hardly a thought in your head that is not strictly in accordance with the
    ideology of your religious organization

(1 Corinthians 10:31) . . .Therefore, whether you are eating or drinking or doing
    anything else, do all things for God’s glory. . .

thank you for inadvertently bringing this scriptural principle to the fore.
    Why on Earth would you want to admit that, or equate "doing all things for God’s glory" with "there's hardly being a thought in your head that is not strictly in accordance with the ideology of your religious organization"?

Aren't you endlessly insisting that you are a free and independent moral agent? How can that be compatible with uniformity of thoughts? Scriptural beliefs, perhaps, but thoughts too?

What is your organization's corporate stance and teaching on events such as the Olympic opening ceremony?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 09:43
    The post, the quotation, the Olympics has absolutely nothing to do with my
    organisation. It is perhaps a reflection of the weakness of your stance that you seek to
    make it so. As far as I am aware, we have stated nothing, as an organisation, with
    regard to the 2012 Olympics, or the opening ceremony.
    What about all the Olympics prior to 2012?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree