1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8524
    09 Apr '16 12:10
    I'm looking for a new 'enemy' in these forums. It just dawned on me today that with Hinds and Dasa gone, I like everybody who posts here. (Robbie doesn't count).

    Okay, 'enemy' is a bit misleading, but I certainly require a Spiritual Arch Nemesis to pit my atheistic genius against. (Robbie doesn't count).

    I will consider all applications for this position, but the applicant must be strong in their beliefs with a frustrating but admirable swagger. They must inspire me to be equally strong in my atheism and to google such oddities and 'did Moses eat meat.' (Robbie doesn't count).
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    09 Apr '16 12:18
    sonship?
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Joined
    09 Apr '10
    Moves
    14251
    09 Apr '16 13:18
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I'm looking for a new 'enemy' in these forums. It just dawned on me today that with Hinds and Dasa gone, I like everybody who posts here. (Robbie doesn't count).

    Okay, 'enemy' is a bit misleading, but I certainly require a Spiritual Arch Nemesis to pit my atheistic genius against. (Robbie doesn't count).

    I will consider all applications for thi ...[text shortened]... rong in my atheism and to google such oddities and 'did Moses eat meat.' (Robbie doesn't count).
    Love thine enemy, surely?
  4. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    09 Apr '16 13:40
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I'm looking for a new 'enemy' in these forums. It just dawned on me today that with Hinds and Dasa gone, I like everybody who posts here. (Robbie doesn't count).

    Okay, 'enemy' is a bit misleading, but I certainly require a Spiritual Arch Nemesis to pit my atheistic genius against. (Robbie doesn't count).

    I will consider all applications for thi ...[text shortened]... rong in my atheism and to google such oddities and 'did Moses eat meat.' (Robbie doesn't count).
    If I had any sense of the sincerity (and accuracy) of your position as an atheist, I would apply, but (alas!) you, like all the rest are more akin to an ostrich in the sand than the ever-elusive dodo...
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    09 Apr '16 13:57
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I'm looking for a new 'enemy' in these forums. It just dawned on me today that with Hinds and Dasa gone, I like everybody who posts here. (Robbie doesn't count).

    Okay, 'enemy' is a bit misleading, but I certainly require a Spiritual Arch Nemesis to pit my atheistic genius against. (Robbie doesn't count).

    I will consider all applications for thi ...[text shortened]... rong in my atheism and to google such oddities and 'did Moses eat meat.' (Robbie doesn't count).
    josephw?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8524
    09 Apr '16 14:44
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    If I had any sense of the sincerity (and accuracy) of your position as an atheist, I would apply, but (alas!) you, like all the rest are more akin to an ostrich in the sand than the ever-elusive dodo...
    2 important points:

    1. Ostriches don't actually bury their head in the sand.
    2. The Earth isn't flat.

    Your application is rejected.

    (Sonship is a little too 'wordy' to be my Spiritual Arch Nemesis and Joseph too friendly).
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Joined
    09 Apr '10
    Moves
    14251
    09 Apr '16 14:45
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    2 important points:

    1. Ostriches don't actually bury their head in the sand.
    2. The Earth isn't flat.

    Your application is rejected.

    (Sonship is a little too 'wordy' to be my Spiritual Arch Nemesis and Joseph too friendly).
    So you don't want a grammar enemy then? I can pretend to be religious if it'll help?
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8524
    09 Apr '16 14:50
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Love thine enemy, surely?
    No, i'm sticking stubbornly to thy.

    Are you applying for the position of my Spiritual Arch Nemesis? If so, you are a front runner. 😠
  9. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    09 Apr '16 15:09
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    2 important points:

    1. Ostriches don't actually bury their head in the sand.
    2. The Earth isn't flat.

    Your application is rejected.

    (Sonship is a little too 'wordy' to be my Spiritual Arch Nemesis and Joseph too friendly).
    Two important counter-points to your puny points:

    1. a. I didn't say they bury their heads in the sand; I merely said "ostrich in the sand."
    b. Ostriches, do, indeed, bury their heads in the sand Reveal Hidden Content
    http://www.wolaver.org/animals/ostrich.jpg
    , albeit not the for the reason underlying the saying otherwise.

    2. The earth is totally flat: did you ever see an ostrich burying their head in a globe?

    Will this rejection impact my credit score?
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8524
    09 Apr '16 15:23
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Two important counter-points to your puny points:

    1. a. I didn't say they bury their heads in the sand; I merely said "ostrich in the sand."
    b. Ostriches, do, indeed, bury their heads in the sand [hidden]http://www.wolaver.org/animals/ostrich.jpg[/hidden], albeit not the for the reason underlying the saying otherwise.

    2. The earth is totally fla ...[text shortened]... ver see an ostrich burying their head in a globe?

    Will this rejection impact my credit score?
    Two even more important counter-points to your two flimsy counter-points:

    1. Ostriches 'never' bury their heads in the sand. If they did they would die of asphyxiation. (The picture you linked to is of an ostrich turning her eggs).
    2.The fact you were so easily fooled by a picture of an ostrich turning her eggs strongly discredits any evidence you have tendered towards the Earth being flat.

    *Your credit score is unaffected by this rejection.
  11. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    09 Apr '16 15:58
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Two even more important counter-points to your two flimsy counter-points:

    1. Ostriches 'never' bury their heads in the sand. If they did they would die of asphyxiation. (The picture you linked to is of an ostrich turning her eggs).
    2.The fact you were so easily fooled by a picture of an ostrich turning her eggs strongly discredits any evidence yo ...[text shortened]... ve tendered towards the Earth being flat.

    *Your credit score is unaffected by this rejection.
    Two quite spectacular and awe-inspiring responses which totally obliterate and lay waste to your poor excuse of generously labeled "important counter-points."

    1. By "in the sand," this is not to infer an actual "in" the sand, as in buried beneath and completely covered, but rather, "in" as below the surface of.

    2. The picture provided was not singular in objects depicted, but rather, it was an example of two ostriches with both their heads clearly and evidently beneath the surface of the sand.

    If you were a true atheist, you'd figure out a way to ruin my credit score.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8524
    09 Apr '16 16:44
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Two quite spectacular and awe-inspiring responses which totally obliterate and lay waste to your poor excuse of generously labeled "important counter-points."

    1. By "in the sand," this is not to infer an actual "in" the sand, as in buried beneath and completely covered, but rather, "in" as below the surface of.

    2. The picture provided was not singula ...[text shortened]... the sand.

    If you were a true atheist, you'd figure out a way to ruin my credit score.
    For demonstration purposes, kindly forward me a cheque for 12 hundred pounds so that I can purchase an ostrich, sand pit, and a gold watch.

    Failure to comply 'will' affect your credit score.
  13. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    09 Apr '16 17:021 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    For demonstration purposes, kindly forward me a cheque for 12 hundred pounds so that I can purchase an ostrich, sand pit, and a gold watch.

    Failure to comply 'will' affect your credit score.
    Let's make it 12 million pounds and add a freaking rocket with a non-fish-eye camera, plus string and some duct tape.
    We'll put this baby to bed, once and for all.


    P.S. How much does a camel weigh, were one to tow it to space?
    P.S.S. Yes, I really did just ask for the cost of a camel tow.
    P.S.S.S. Only because an ostrich tow wouldn't resonate with anyone.
  14. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    09 Apr '16 17:14
    I live not far from some ostriches, so if you send me the money it will be cheaper. The main problem I see is the question of just how long I have to watch them. If they don't put their heads in the sand for over a month, can we conclusively say they never do?
    And if I send you photo-shopped pictures like the one presented so far, will anyone believe it is real?

    I think its fairly obvious that if ostriches do stick their heads in the sand with a reasonable frequency then there would be better pictures of it and possibly a video, so we can say that lack of evidence is strong evidence of absence in this case.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8524
    09 Apr '16 17:191 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Let's make it 12 million pounds and add a freaking rocket with a non-fish-eye camera, plus string and some duct tape.
    We'll put this baby to bed, once and for all.


    P.S. How much does a camel weigh, were one to tow it to space?
    P.S.S. Yes, I really did just ask for the cost of a camel tow.
    P.S.S.S. Only because an ostrich tow wouldn't resonate with anyone.
    Are the camel's humps in question spherical or flat? Quick recap:

    1. You initially believed ostriches buried their heads in the sand.
    2. You then attempted to wriggle out of your faux pas with an erroneous picture.
    3. You initially believed the Earth was flat.
    4. You then attempted to wriggle out of your faux pas by offering 12 million pounds you don't have to send a rocket in to space. (A man with 12 million pounds wouldn't be so concerned about his credit score!)
    5. You have something against camels.
Back to Top