1. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 12:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    In the Greek language there are 5 kinds of love. I looking more at agape, that is, simply treating people the way you would wish to be treated.
    I take it you don't speak Greek.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 12:11
    There is nothing natural about it, hence the term supernatural.
    Cool. I just ran outside naked. Clearly not a natural thing to do. I must be supernatural!
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 12:37
    So is it a foolish philosophy?

Yes or no?
    Like I said, any philosophy can lead people to fool themselves or make fools of themselves.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 13:13
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    why hmmmm? do you agree or disagree?
    Agree/disagree with what specifically?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 13:25
    Is this a philosophy for fools?
    Whether it is or not, its not a philosophy you follow. You never show any love for Obama.
  6. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 18:08
    It is the philosophy of those who have no other choice.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 19:23
    What do you mean by 'love'?

IMO Jesus used an exaggerated word to shake people up and get them to question their assumptions. He did not mean you love them to the extent of a trusted friend, or family member, or lover, or partner. He just meant that you keep a certain standard of kindness even around your enemies.

Go ahead, tell me why I'm wrong. 🙂
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 20:11
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    He just meant that you keep a certain standard of kindness even around your enemies.)
    I disagree. Love is a feeling not a rule. Jesus to a large extent promoted the discarding of rules to be followed and instead focused on the emotional aspects of things and your knowledge of right and wrong as opposed to what the law says is right and wrong. Jesus strikes me as the kind of person who would and probably did, love his enemies in the true sense of the word.

There are Buddhists who practice felling love and I believe they too can love their enemies.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 23:23
    What do you mean by 'love'?

IMO Jesus used an exaggerated word to shake people up and get them to question their assumptions. He did not mean you love them to the extent of a trusted friend, or family member, or lover, or partner. He just meant that you keep a certain standard of kindness even around your enemies.

Go ahead, tell me why I'm wrong. 🙂
    Jesus gave the example of the Good Samaratan as an example of the type of love he is talking about.

In case some don't know, the Samaratan should have been the last person to help the Jew in question, because they were natural enemies at that time. Interestingly, the Samaratan was not even able to converse with the stanger. All he did was scoop him up and take him for some help and paid for that help.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 23:243 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Whether it is or not, its not a philosophy you follow. You never show any love for Obama.
    Obama is an empty suit.

My intentions are to challenge a government that I feel is oppressive in many ways and increasingly becoming worse.

As in Jesus' day, the world leaders are the ones who hold the wealth and the power and oppress the poor.

Not much has changed except perhaps the demagoguery. Jesus was not very kind to them either. He called them out on a daily basis
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 01:10
    Obama is an empty suit.

My intentions are to challenge a government that I feel is oppressive in many ways and increasingly becoming worse.

As in Jesus' day, the world leaders are the ones who hold the wealth and the power and oppress the poor.

Not much has changed except perhaps the demagoguery. Jesus was not very kind to them either. He called them out on a daily basis
    Do you think Jesus would disapprove of the way the Obama administration has reduced the number of illegal immigrants crossing into the U.S., the way it has increased the number of illegal immigrants being deported from the U.S., and the way it is now planning to grant an amnesty for those who have lived and worked in the U.S. for many years?
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 01:22
    Jesus gave the example of the Good Samaratan as an example of the type of love he is talking about.

In case some don't know, the Samaratan should have been the last person to help the Jew in question, because they were natural enemies at that time. Interestingly, the Samaratan was not even able to converse with the stanger. All he did was scoop him up and take him for some help and paid for that help.
    OK, so that covers what Jesus means - but my question was, what do you mean by 'love your enemies'?

If it's the same thing as what Jesus means, then I can go along with that, and answer the question of the OP: The philosophy of loving one's enemy is not foolish. On the contrary, at times it is the humanitarian thing to do.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 03:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think Jesus would disapprove of the way the Obama administration has reduced the number of illegal immigrants crossing into the U.S., the way it has increased the number of illegal immigrants being deported from the U.S., and the way it is now planning to grant an amnesty for those who have lived and worked in the U.S. for many years?
    Well that is a tough one.

The scripture says to honor the laws but the leaders don't mind the laws, so where does that leave us? 😕
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 03:161 edit
    Well that is a tough one.
    Answer it anyway.

You appear to be claiming that your opposition to Obama is modelled on Jesus.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 03:16
    OK, so that covers what [b]Jesus means - but my question was, what do you mean by 'love your enemies'?

If it's the same thing as what Jesus means, then I can go along with that, and answer the question of the OP: The philosophy of loving one's enemy is not foolish. On the contrary, at times it is the humanitarian thing to do.[/b]
    Yes, Jesus is who I had in mind.

So do you feel like those who love their enemies are taken advantage of?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree