1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    18 Feb '15 15:50
    People finally getting the opportunity to go to Mars. In about 20-30 years we could truly have the first alien ever be born on another planet and come to Earth. In my personal opinion I think the end times would happen first.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    18 Feb '15 16:27
    Christians [apart from anyone else] have been claiming that it's been the end times
    for the last 2000 years.

    If we assume that there will actually be an end times, and that the probability of any
    given prediction that this year will be the last is equal.
    And we then stipulate that it's unlikely that we would have got this far without the
    apocalypse happening [p=0.1 or 10%] then the probability of any given year being
    the apocalypse is ~0.00115 [~0.115%].

    Thus the probability of the apocalypse being in the next 20 years is ~0.0228 [~2.28%]
    Thus the probability of the apocalypse being in the next 50 years is ~0.0560 [~5.60%]
    Thus the probability of the apocalypse being in the next 80 years is ~0.0880 [~8.80%]
    Thus the probability of the apocalypse being in the next 100 years is ~0.109 [~10.9%]

    Which means that even if we grant the possibility that the Christian religion is correct,
    and that there will be an apocalypse, and granting each generation an equal chance of
    being right, and making it really likely [90%] that it should have happened by now...

    The chance of it happening in any given life span is still less than 10%.


    And that was me being wildly ridiculously generous to your position.
  3. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    18 Feb '15 17:15
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    People finally getting the opportunity to go to Mars. In about 20-30 years we could truly have the first alien ever be born on another planet and come to Earth. In my personal opinion I think the end times would happen first.
    What does the possible coming of "the end times" have to do with people travelling to Mars?
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    18 Feb '15 17:18
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What does the possible coming of "the end times" have to do with people travelling to Mars?
    In a way it's kind of like building the Tower of Babel even though I know you wouldn't see it that way. I just don't see God allowing it to happen. I mean when Christ comes back if people are living on Mars at that time, yes he has his ways of judging those people too. But he has that hidden from our minds how he will judge those people.
  5. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    18 Feb '15 17:24
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    In a way it's kind of like building the Tower of Babel even though I know you wouldn't see it that way. I just don't see God allowing it to happen. I mean when Christ comes back if people are living on Mars at that time, yes he has his ways of judging those people too. But he has that hidden from our minds how he will judge those people.
    In what way is it like building the Tower of Babel?
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    18 Feb '15 17:25
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    In a way it's kind of like building the Tower of Babel even though I know you wouldn't see it that way. I just don't see God allowing it to happen. I mean when Christ comes back if people are living on Mars at that time, yes he has his ways of judging those people too. But he has that hidden from our minds how he will judge those people.
    Well that just makes the rest of this epicly unimaginably vast universe even
    more pointless in your religion than it was already.

    Why the hell would god create a universe tens of billions of light years across
    with 100's of billions of galaxies with 100's of billions of stars in them with
    100's of billions of planets circling them. And make it last 13.77 billion years
    until the creatures it was all supposedly for would finally appear and then
    destroy the whole thing and kill us off just when we finally get off the one
    tiny rock we inhabit in the unbelievably immense universe????

    That's close to being the stupidest idea I have ever heard.
  7. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    44172
    18 Feb '15 17:562 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well that just makes the rest of this epicly unimaginably vast universe even
    more pointless in your religion than it was already.

    Why the hell would god create a universe tens of billions of light years across
    with 100's of billions of galaxies with 100's of billions of stars in them with
    100's of billions of planets circling them. And make it l ...[text shortened]... unbelievably immense universe????

    That's close to being the stupidest idea I have ever heard.
    I don't know why you're surprised, this is the same god that created everything(including sin), knows exactly what is going to happen (no free will then) , then blames mankind!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    18 Feb '15 18:12
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In what way is it like building the Tower of Babel?
    Building the tower of Babel they wanted to reach God to be like God.

    The first words uttered on the telephone was look what God has done!

    When they get to Mars they will say look what man has done!
  9. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    18 Feb '15 18:22
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Building the tower of Babel they wanted to reach God to be like God.

    The first words uttered on the telephone was look what God has done!

    When they get to Mars they will say look what man has done!
    I see. And what makes Mars so special compared to, say, the Moon?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86356
    18 Feb '15 18:41
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    The first words uttered on the telephone was look what God has done!
    No, they weren't.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86356
    18 Feb '15 18:42
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    People finally getting the opportunity to go to Mars. In about 20-30 years we could truly have the first alien ever be born on another planet and come to Earth. In my personal opinion I think the end times would happen first.
    Good grief.
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    18 Feb '15 18:43
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I see. And what makes Mars so special compared to, say, the Moon?
    Well there obviously going to live on Mars first before the moon.
  13. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    18 Feb '15 19:09
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Well there obviously going to live on Mars first before the moon.
    And the space station? You never thought about that and said 'look what man has done'? What about computers, or the internet? Surely you can think of a greater achievement than going to live on Mars?
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    18 Feb '15 19:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And the space station? You never thought about that and said 'look what man has done'? What about computers, or the internet? Surely you can think of a greater achievement than going to live on Mars?
    While it's like building something to rise up to God those other things aren't really building something to rise up to God. You're a smart donkey!
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86356
    18 Feb '15 19:24
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    While it's like building something to rise up to God those other things aren't really building something to rise up to God. You're a smart donkey!
    In terms of "building something to rise up to god", what is the difference between going into orbit, going to the moon and going to Mars?
Back to Top