1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 04:341 edit
    Was Mary a virgin her whole life? I don't think it would be possible because Joseph took her as his wife. And the Bible claims Jesus had half brothers ans sisters. And when he was a yuong child he was left behind in Jerusalem by his parents so I just don't see joseph being with her and not getting some.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 04:38
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Was Mary a virgin her whole life? I don't think it would be possible because Joseph took her as his wife. And the Bible claims Jesus had half brothers ans sisters. And when he was a yuong child he was left behind in Jerusalem by his parents so I just don't see joseph being with her and not getting some.
    😕

Do you pose this question to everyone, or just the ones with christian leanings?
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 05:001 edit
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 05:44
    The perpetual virginity of Mary was a universal belief in Christendom until Protestant times, although even Luther and Calvin accepted the doctrine. Perhaps the only point contended in the early church was whether Mary's virginity was preserved in partu (i.e. Jesus was born without any damage to Mary's hymen.) St Jerome in the fourth century deals exhaustively with this subject in his work In Helvidium. He argues that the brothers and sisters were in fact cousins (because the original Aramaic expression did not distinguish brothers from cousins). He argues also that if Mary had other children, then there would have been no reason for Jesus during his crucifixion to give John as a son to Mary. He also traces the brothers explicitly named in Scripture to other mothers:

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3007.htm

St Jerome's arguments however were not alone. In the Eastern churches, Jesus' brothers and sisters were generally believed to have been step-siblings, Joseph's children from a previous marriage.
  5. England
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 11:072 edits
    no ... there is a quote [not sure were] the followers, say to jesus your brothers/sisters are out side he replys who does gods will is my brothers/sisters. will look it up for the correct passage and were it is. tho they would be half brothers / sisters as a different dad. but she was at time of conception.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 15:28
    But still even if they are not half bros and sisters that doesn't mean that she stayed a virgin. She was married to Joseph when Jesus was about 12-13 years old.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 16:35
    Matthew 1 24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

1:25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 16:481 edit
    Mary was a virgin until and after she had her first child, Jesus.
    Afterwards she was a non-virgin and had other children normally.

end of story.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 17:06
    Originally posted by jaywill
    end of story.
    I'm skeptical.
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 17:10
    Originally posted by Thomas Lavery
    Matthew 1 24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

1:25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
    see he waited till Jesus was born. becasue who want to make love to a woman with child.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 17:13
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I'm skeptical.
    Joseph was also skeptical for a while.

skepticism usually gives the appearance of wisdom.

... the appearance.
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 17:13
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Mary was a virgin until and after she had her first child, Jesus.
    Afterwards she was a non-virgin and had other children normally.

end of story.
    What a crock of shiite.

Mary still had a hymen after Christ. (Hymen was a local pimp!😛)

-m.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 17:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 17:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    And sometimes the appearance doesn't last too long.
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 17:211 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree