1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 15:402 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Jacob,

What do you make of Jesus' irreverence for Mary here?

From Matthew 12

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” ...[text shortened]... thers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”
    Does this mean that the mother and brothers standing outside were NOT doing the will of Jesus' Father in heaven?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 16:49
    Originally posted by @js357
    Does this mean that the mother and brothers standing outside were NOT doing the will of Jesus' Father in heaven?
    No', it means all who do are equally mother brother and sister.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 18:07
    No', it means all who do are equally mother brother and sister.
    Equally? Sneakily stuck in a word that Jesus did not use?

Mother brother sister. Yes
    Equally.. not for you to say.

Another bible twister
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 18:13
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Equally? Sneakily stuck in a word that Jesus did not use?

Mother brother sister. Yes
    Equally.. not for you to say.

Another bible twister
    So you believe that they are unequally?
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 20:17
    I believe that is for Jesus to decide. Why do you need to stick in the word equally?
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 20:42
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    I believe that is for Jesus to decide. Why do you need to stick in the word equally?
    So in other words you assume it means nothing. It neither means Mary was on par with fellow believers nor does it mean she is held at a higher esteem.

Really that fits quite well with everything you've written. You believe the Bible means nothing. To give any meaning would be twisting it or so you would have others believe.
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Jan '18 16:42
    The Catholic obsession with Mary isn't exactly in the Bible.

From Matthew 12

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 ...[text shortened]... ed on Catholic teachings on Maryology.

When did it all start? It clearly is not in the Bible.
    the Holy Spirit inspiring Mary, "all nations will call me blessed"
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '18 20:19
    Originally posted by @pudgenik
    the Holy Spirit inspiring Mary, "all nations will call me blessed"
    So you are saying that if a person who died was blessed then the Bible instructs us to pray to that person.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree