1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 11:30
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Stop. Just stop. I do not and will not condone your continuing attack upon Catholics.
    Yeah, I understand how you hate being asked about comparing beliefs to the Bible.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 11:423 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Yep, I knew about the other pagan holidays the Catholic church redefined. Christmas has been redefined in modern times as has Halloween.
    Forget about "redefined" in modern times . It was corrupt mixture to begin with.

Jesus was most probably not born on December 25. Saturnalia celebrated that day because it was the shortest daylight of the year. So they associated that with the birthday of the Sun.

Forget about the commercial "redefining" of Christmas in modern times. In ancient times its roots were in the worship of the sun.

When masses were being encouraged to pour into the Public Church some religionists had a brain storm.

"Let them keep their pagan worship. Why we'll just make it refer to Jesus. We'll just 'Christianize' their paganism to make them feel at home for joining the Church."

So Christmas is sun worship adopted to refer to Jesus Christ being born on that day. Now this may not be all bad from a worldly perspective. It is likely that on "Christmas" peoples may decide that that is a season to get along with each other for a little while. But it is MIXTURE. And mixture usually eventually corrupts totally.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 11:50
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Forget about "redefined" in modern times . It was corrupt mixture to begin with.

Jesus was most probably not born on December 25. Saturnalia celebrated that day because it was the shortest daylight of the year. So they associated that with the birthday of the Sun.

Forget about the commercial "redefining" of Christmas in modern times. In ancient times ...[text shortened]... for a little while. But it is MIXTURE. And mixture usually eventually corrupts totally.
    Why should I forget about the truth. I agree trying to make pagan things Christian simply introduces paganism into Christianity.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 12:072 edits
    Why should I forget about the truth. I agree trying to make pagan things Christian simply introduces paganism into Christianity.
    A little leaven leavens the whole lump you know?

The Christians are told to purge out the old leaven that we may be a new unleavened lump.

" Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?

Purge out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, even as you are unleavened ...

So then let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth." (See 1 Cor. 5:6-8)

When some of us recognize mixture and how it corrupts the Christian Gospel we desire to remove the leaven from our feast on the pure Christ.

Mary worship is also leaven.
    Worship of an "American Exceptionalism" to produce a kind of "Americanity" mixture of the Gospel with nationalism is also leavening.

You don't need to be told that rampant liberalism can be a form of leaven. But then again so can far right conservatism also be a corrupting leaven to dilute the pure Gospel of Christ.

Leaven damages the feast and the feasting. It leaves the believer hungry. So Paul told the Corinthian church to purge OUT the old leaven and keep the feast on Christ and Christ alone.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 15:44
    A little leaven leavens the whole lump you know?

The Christians are told to purge out the old leaven that we may be a new unleavened lump.

[quote] [b] " Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?

Purge out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, even as you are unleavened ...

So then let us k ...[text shortened]... the Corinthian church to purge OUT the old leaven and keep the feast on Christ and Christ alone.
    I agree.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 23:21
    Read Alexander Hislop's classic book [b]"The Two Babylons".

He traces all of the pagan influences upon the Christian Gospel that were assimilated by the Roman Catholic Church. He includes the world wide tradition of a mother and child adoration found in many ancient cultures. He writes of the worship of the mother.

The RCC in order to make the ...[text shortened]... o the masses they thought were pouring into the "church" during the decline of the Roman Empire.[/b]
    There are some interesting passages like Hebrews 12:1 that talk about the great cloud of witnesses. The cloud of witnesses are those Christians who are dead that go on to observe us and surround us. We believe in immortal souls, right, and we believe that God has sent angels to us with messages before and all manner of things along these lines...

I do not think it is a stretch at all to believe the mother of God, Mary, who is presented as such in the Bible, would also have a special role as a Saint and be a member of this cloud of witnesses.

Saying that this kind of thing is like... just synthesizing paganism with Christianity... even when this is an important, 2,000 year old aspect of the culture of Christianity seems very dismissive and precisely what atheist detractors say about us.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 01:37
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    There are some interesting passages like Hebrews 12:1 that talk about the great cloud of witnesses. The cloud of witnesses are those Christians who are dead that go on to observe us and surround us. We believe in immortal souls, right, and we believe that God has sent angels to us with messages before and all manner of things along these lines...
    ...[text shortened]... ulture of Christianity seems very dismissive and precisely what atheist detractors say about us.
    Where does the Bible instruct those who know God to pray to the dead?

In the OT communicating with those who have died is considered evil.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 01:44
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    .. We believe in immortal souls, ...
    Just about everything you said in that post is not in the Bible.
    Its all made up church stuff.

Is there some part of the Bible that says that the soul in immortal?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 02:06
    Originally posted by @rajk999

John 17

Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You, 2 even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to [a]all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal life.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 02:19

So what do you think the "cloud of witnesses" is in Hebrews 12:1?

Do you think this is "made up church stuff"?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 02:20
    Where does the Bible instruct those who know God to pray to the dead?

In the OT communicating with those who have died is considered evil.
    One Bible-worshipper.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 02:221 edit

Another Bible-worshipper. That makes two, so far.

Is the book called the Bible going to give you salvation, or does that come from Jesus the Christ?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 02:32
    Originally posted by @suzianne to Rajk999
    Is the book called the Bible going to give you salvation, or does that come from Jesus the Christ?
    The way I understand Rajk999, he believes salvation comes from doing what Jesus told people to do as laid out in the Bible.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 03:03
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    One Bible-worshipper.
    I can see why you would see it that way since your beliefs are not in line with the Bible.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 03:07
    Originally posted by @fmf
    The way I understand Rajk999, he believes salvation comes from doing what Jesus told people to do as laid out in the Bible.
    You really have patience to answer that dumb woman.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree