1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 00:55
    The Catholic obsession with Mary isn't exactly in the Bible.

From Matthew 12

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Not exactly the reverence for Mary you'd expect based on Catholic teachings on Maryology.

When did it all start? It clearly is not in the Bible.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 00:58
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Not exactly the reverence for Mary you'd expect based on Catholic teachings on Maryology.

Probably in the decades immediately after Jesus was executed by the Romans when there was all manner of 'Christianities' coming up with competing ideas.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 01:25
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Probably in the decades immediately after Jesus was executed by the Romans when there was all manner of 'Christianities' coming up with competing ideas.
    Somewhere I heard it was like the 4th century or so that it started.

Googled it and now I see it is spelled Mariology.

I watched a show on European explorers who put shrines up to Mary in the East and the locals identified with it as a worship of their own goddesses.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 01:30
    Somewhere I heard it was like the 4th century or so that it started.
    I doubt it took as long as that for the recognition of Jesus' mother to resonate with his followers. I am sure the Apostles revered her, for example.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 01:49
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I doubt it took as long as that for the recognition of Jesus' mother to resonate with his followers. I am sure the Apostles revered her, for example.
    Did Jesus?

If no, why?

Perhaps you can find Bible verses where this reverence is recorded.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 02:29

From Matthew 12

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 ...[text shortened]... ed on Catholic teachings on Maryology.

Oh, here we go.

Just how do you stand being filled with so much intoleration?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 02:34
    Did Jesus?

If no, why?

Perhaps you can find Bible verses where this reverence is recorded.
    Nobody is required to pray to anyone but God, but Mary is a blessed woman and chosen by God. Reverence in the form of adoration etc is certainly not an offence.

And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord. And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. (Luke 1:42-48 KJV)

I am certainly not supporting any worshiping of Mary but then on the other hand she is not to be placed on the same footing as an ordinary woman.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 03:54
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Nobody is required to pray to anyone but God, but Mary is a blessed woman and chosen by God. Reverence in the form of adoration etc is certainly not an offence.

[i]And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, [b]Blessed art thou among women,
    and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to m ...[text shortened]... ary but then on the other hand she is not to be placed on the same footing as an ordinary woman.[/b]
    Blessed but born different from other women? Where is this in the Bible?

I can see making statues of pagan goddesses to pray to but that is pagan not Christian.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 03:58
    The portion of the Bible which says "Blessed art thou among women" actually comes from the Aramaic way of saying that you are literally the most blessed woman, with implications that she is the most blessed to have ever lived and who will ever live.

Literally, she was chosen to be the vessel of God on Earth.

I know that, now, we have some of these Protestants who do not accept the miracles of the Saints or believe in them. But within our traditions there, we also believe that there were miracles associated with Mary. It is passed down to us in our traditions alongside the miracles of other Saints.

Orthodoxy does not support as extreme of a Miriam dogma as the Catholics, though. For instance, Orthodoxy rejects the Immaculate Conception.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 04:44
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    The portion of the Bible which says "Blessed art thou among women" actually comes from the Aramaic way of saying that you are literally the most blessed woman, with implications that she is the most blessed to have ever lived and who will ever live.

Literally, she was chosen to be the vessel of God on Earth.

I know that, now, we have some of ...[text shortened]... iriam dogma as the Catholics, though. For instance, Orthodoxy rejects the Immaculate Conception.
    Perhaps you can quote where the Bible says if you pray to someone and the prayer comes true that you should continue to pray to that person.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 10:02
    Blessed but born different from other women? Where is this in the Bible?

I can see making statues of pagan goddesses to pray to but that is pagan not Christian.
    "Born different from other women"? Where is this in his post?

I wish you would stop calling Catholics pagans.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 10:06
    Perhaps you can quote where the Bible says if you pray to someone and the prayer comes true that you should continue to pray to that person.
    Stop. Just stop. I do not and will not condone your continuing attack upon Catholics.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 10:491 edit

From Matthew 12

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 ...[text shortened]... ed on Catholic teachings on Maryology.

Read Alexander Hislop's classic book "The Two Babylons".

He traces all of the pagan influences upon the Christian Gospel that were assimilated by the Roman Catholic Church. He includes the world wide tradition of a mother and child adoration found in many ancient cultures. He writes of the worship of the mother.

The RCC in order to make the Gospel palatable to the masses incorporated ancient mother worship and just made the woman Mary. Of course Easter, Christmas, and Holloween have similar backrounds in the assimilation of paganism to "Christianize" these customs to do "a favor" so to speak, to the masses they thought were pouring into the "church" during the decline of the Roman Empire.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 11:25
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    "Born different from other women"? Where is this in his post?

I wish you would stop calling Catholics pagans.
    Catholic teachings on Mary. According to Catholics Mary did not suffer from original sin. You really need to have a reason to berate a person. First you berate me for not knowing about immaculate conception when I was making reference to the fact that Jesus was the only miraculous conception not Mary then you play dumb here.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 11:27
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Read Alexander Hislop's classic book [b]"The Two Babylons".

He traces all of the pagan influences upon the Christian Gospel that were assimilated by the Roman Catholic Church. He includes the world wide tradition of a mother and child adoration found in many ancient cultures. He writes of the worship of the mother.

The RCC in order to make the ...[text shortened]... o the masses they thought were pouring into the "church" during the decline of the Roman Empire.[/b]
    Yep, I knew about the other pagan holidays the Catholic church redefined. Christmas has been redefined in modern times as has Halloween.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree