1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 10:191 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    its not fair how you have 6 thumbs down and started another good discussion!

I have a Saitek Master with wooden chess set - yes quality! but I try to make that the limit of my materialism - money can't buy a better chess computer so its worth the money but with most things I am quite thrifty.
    Its ok, its always good to get a reaction, even if its negative. One can have many possessions but not be materialistic me thinks, for materialism is a state of mind, it depends entirely on how much emphasis we put on material things, its equally true to state that we can have very little but still be materialistic.
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 10:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    there are aspects of your atheism that will almost certainly lead to the acceptance of practices that i personally hold to be immoral, for example abortion, or the acceptance of certain sexual practices or participation in war for there is no moral imperative for you not to sanction these ideas. I provide them simply as examples, not that you hold th ...[text shortened]... k deeply and that the most profound thinkers may be given to the occasional episodes of jesting.
    there are two or three issues that we disagree strongly on. homosexuality, abortion being the main two. other than that we probably have similar values. i would say that a non materialist, christian right wing republican is much more likely to create a society full of "self absorption, narcissism, desire for immediate gratification," than a liberal minded atheist/materialist.
    look at america. the most christian country in the western world, yet rife with greed. i think your op is way off the mark. there is no connection between believing in a material universe and loosing morals.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 10:56
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    there are two or three issues that we disagree strongly on. homosexuality, abortion being the main two. other than that we probably have similar values. i would say that a non materialist, christian right wing republican is much more likely to create a society full of [b]"self absorption, narcissism, desire for immediate gratification," than a libe ...[text shortened]... the mark. there is no connection between believing in a material universe and loosing morals.[/b]
    I know, go ahead and say it, the ugly American, I have heard it many times before.

The Instructor
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 11:04
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I know, go ahead and say it, the ugly American, I have heard it many times before.

The Instructor
    was my comment wrong?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 11:051 edit
    there are two or three issues that we disagree strongly on. homosexuality, abortion being the main two. other than that we probably have similar values. i would say that a non materialist, christian right wing republican is much more likely to create a society full of [b]"self absorption, narcissism, desire for immediate gratification," than a libe ...[text shortened]... the mark. there is no connection between believing in a material universe and loosing morals.[/b]
    materialism is a state of mind, it effects both the rich and the poor, the liberal and the conservative.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 11:11
    materialism is a state of mind, it effects both the rich and the poor, the liberal and the conservative.
    i would agree. i would also add atheist and theist.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 22:41
    was my comment wrong?
    Yes, and how you could not realize it is not clear to me.

The Instructor
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 09:08
    Yes, and how you could not realize it is not clear to me.

The Instructor
    you dont think america has a problem with greed?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 10:20
    you dont think america has a problem with greed?
    I think a bigger problem is allowing all these abortions, which means we are legally killing so many of our own people.

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/electionissues/i/abortion.htm

The Instructor
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 18:51
    I think a bigger problem is allowing all these abortions, which means we are legally killing so many of our own people.

The Instructor
    but do you think america has a problem with greed.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 18:57

The Instructor
    Other religious people on this board often say that many people have abortions because they don't want to spend time and money on the child. Is greed a major reason why people have abortions, you think?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 22:07
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Other religious people on this board often say that many people have abortions because they don't want to spend time and money on the child. Is greed a major reason why people have abortions, you think?
    yes, social convenience is the biggest factor in why people have abortions.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 22:19
    yes, social convenience is the biggest factor in why people have abortions.
    evidence please. or is this personal opinion? (the thing you fear to share).
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 04:27
    but do you think america has a problem with greed.
    Sure, but I don't see that it is any greater that you have in Great Britain.

The Instructor
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 04:351 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I believe it is mainly selfishness and the attitude or belief that the rights of the unborn life in the womb is of little importance. In my mind, greed deals more with the accumulation of material things and the desire to keep them for oneself, even if you can afford to share. When I speak of selfishness, I am thinking more of what persons think is in their self interest and always put that ahead of the interest of others. Of course, there is selfishness involved in being greedy too.

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree