1. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 21:09
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Edit: "You are adding unnecessary explanations which violate the meaning of the passage."

I 'm Greek and I understand the verse in full. Of course we are discussing what the Bible says and I do not add explanations which violate the meaning of the passage; to me, it's crystal clear we are in front of a metaphor. All the teachers use metaphors and Jes ...[text shortened]... ill alive and waiting to see His grand return with the angels and to perform the judgement."
    😵
    Well there is part of the problem. An atheist who does not believe in God or in the Bible for that matter trying to explain Biblical concepts. 😵
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 21:44
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Well there is part of the problem. An atheist who does not believe in God or in the Bible for that matter trying to explain Biblical concepts. 😵
    That is like saying a person is not qualified to explain fairy tales because a he or she does not believe in them. In fact, the late Joseph Campbell did exactly that in his research on archetypal roles.

Such dismissive tactics do not win debates among intelligent participants.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 22:12
    Originally posted by hakima
    That is like saying a person is not qualified to explain fairy tales because a he or she does not believe in them. In fact, the late Joseph Campbell did exactly that in his research on archetypal roles.

Who the hell is he .. Joseph who?

Anyway Im not interested in debates neither in winning any. You could not possibly think Im interested in debating. I say what I have to say and then move along down the road. If someone says something of value I acknowledge that. If they talk garbage I say my piece and exit the discussion.

If you read what BB said you would have realised that part of his nonacceptance of what Christ said in the literal form, is that he did not accept what the Bible said several times in different ways... ie Not everyone dies. That is why he needs to look for more acceptable explanations to fit his atheistic understanding. Hence my comment.
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 23:13
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Who the hell is he .. Joseph who?

Anyway Im not interested in debates neither in winning any. You could not possibly think Im interested in debating. I say what I have to say and then move along down the road. If someone says something of value I acknowledge that. If they talk garbage I say my piece and exit the discussion.

If you read what BB said yo ...[text shortened]... to look for more acceptable explanations to fit his atheistic understanding. Hence my comment.
    One does not have to accept the validity of a thing to understand why others do. In fact, one would do well to try to understand a perspective different from one's own position in order to confidently take such a position. I have read enough of BB's posts to know that he has studied the Bible and other texts at length. When he makes a statement about such, I have little doubt he has thought deeply before he verbalizes it here.

As for your not knowing of Joseph Campbell's work on mythology and comparative religions, I sincerely recommend reading of him and anything by him. He is recognized and respected among scholarly discussions.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 02:05
    One does not have to accept the validity of a thing to understand why others do. In fact, one would do well to try to understand a perspective different from one's own position in order to confidently take such a position. I have read enough of BB's posts to know that he has studied the Bible and other texts at length. When he makes a statement about such, I ...[text shortened]... reading of him and anything by him. He is recognized and respected among scholarly discussions.
    At this point I exit. Thanks for your comments.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 07:18

Oh I bow to the one who said:
    "Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble."

Best to your Running Man, to you and to your rookie, my dear wise sister😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree