1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:11
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Also bearing in mind the difficulty in recording events (everything “permanent” had to be recorded by hand so oral transmission of information was likely the most common way information was shared) and the fact that the supernatural was much more prevalent and accepted back then so the “news value” in such an event may not have been that high.
    Doesn't this sort of 'argument' undermine the credibility of Matthew 27:51–53 rather than enhance it?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:21
    Originally posted by @fmf
    This bit:

"the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many."

How can one be sure this is true?
    If you are able to believe the creation, virgin birth and resurrection, and trust God for the salvation of your soul, believing Matt 27 is a minor matter. Don't think any of that is possible without faith to be honest.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:25
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Don't think any of that is possible without faith to be honest.
    So you believe the faith that things like Matthew 27:51–53 are true must come first and then... things like Matthew 27:51–53 become true, is that what you mean?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:28
    If you are able to believe the creation, virgin birth and resurrection, and trust God for the salvation of your soul, believing Matt 27 is a minor matter.
    It sounds like you are saying that whether or not Matthew 27:51–53 is true is "a minor matter"? Have I understood correctly?
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:29
    So you believe the faith that things like Matthew 27:51–53 are true must come first and then... things like Matthew 27:51–53 become true, is that what you mean?
    No, that's not what I mean.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:30
    It sounds like you are saying that whether or not Matthew 27:51–53 is true is "a minor matter"? Have I understood correctly?
    No I'm saying there are many things that may be harder to believe. If you do believe those other things, believing Matt 27 is not so hard.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:31
    No I'm saying there are many things that may be harder to believe. If you do believe those other things, believing Matt 27 is not so hard.
    Assuming that you do. why do you believe that Matthew 27:51–53 is a true account of what happened?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:331 edit
    Assuming that you do. why do you believe that Matthew 27:51–53 is a true account of what happened?
    Because I believe the Bible is true and does not contain any lies, since it's God's revelation to humanity.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:37
    Because I believe the Bible is true and does not contain any lies.
    But isn't this just a case of ~ and I said this to Romans1009 too ~ a case of you believe it because you believe it?

The Bible does not contain anything untrue. Matthew 27:51–53 is in the Bible so it cannot be untrue. The fact that Matthew 27:51–53 is not untrue and is in the Bible is evidence that the Bible does not contain anything untrue. Isn't this merely an example of circular logic?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:413 edits
    But isn't this just a case of ~ and I said this to Romans1009 too ~ a case of you believe it because you believe it?

The Bible does not contain anything untrue. Matthew 27:51–53 is in the Bible so it cannot be untrue. The fact that Matthew 27:51–53 is not untrue and is in the Bible is evidence that the Bible does not contain anything untrue. Isn't this merely an example of circular logic?
    We have discussed circular logic before. Don't you recall me asking you whether your reliance on logic is not also an example of circular logic? Besides, I don't think the atheist world view has any legitimacy to use logic because in order for you to use logic you would need to piggy back it off a theistic worldview. The existence of logic only makes sense to me within a theistic framework in which absolute truth exists.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:46
    We have discussed circular logic before. Don't you recall me asking you whether your reliance on logic is not also an example of circular logic?
    We have discussed circular logic before.

OK. I will refer back to that, then.

But just to be clear: you believe that Matthew 27:51–53 is true because it is in the Bible and you believe that everything in the Bible is true, right?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:47
    I don't think the atheist world view has any legitimacy to use logic because in order for you to use logic you would need to piggy back it off a theistic worldview. The existence of logic only makes sense to me within a theistic framework in which absolute truth exists.
    OK, you have discussed this before with me and others. I will refer back to those discussions.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:48
    [b]We have discussed circular logic before.

OK. I will refer back to that, then.

But just to be clear: you believe that Matthew 27:51–53 is true because it is in the Bible and you believe that everything in the Bible is true, right?[/b]
    Yes and I believe everything in the Bible is true because it is God's revelation to us. And I have discussed in detail why I believe it is God's revelation to us if you would like to refer back to that as well.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:50
    Yes and I believe everything in the Bible is true because it is God's revelation to us. And I have discussed in detail why I believe it is God's revelation to us if you would like to refer back to that as well.
    Are these assertions you are making the only way there is to establish that the account in Matthew 27:51–53 ~ about many people rising from the dead, for example ~ is historically true?
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '18 03:53
    Are these assertions you are making the only way there is to establish that the account in Matthew 27:51–53 ~ about many people rising from the dead, for example ~ is historically true?
    I guess you could also check the historical records of the time if there are any in existence.

Do you think there is any way to establish that the account in Matt 27 is untrue?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree