1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 May '14 13:48
    I got a question recently: ”FabianFnas, don't you want to live?” and the obvious answer would be ”Yes, of course, a while longer.” But it triggered me to think a bit.

In the christian belief system there is a soul in every body, at least noone can explain it to me so I can understand.

The soul is immortal, right? I am my body – my brain, my muscles, my blood and so on. And I am mortal, right?

Okay, this means that I don't have an eternal life, I will die eventually, this is a fact. What happens to my soul, what do I care? The soul is not me, it just resides in my body as a symbiot. It brings me benefits, and I give it benefits. We work well together. What use do I have of my soul, I don't know, I certainly have no clue, but without it I will die prematurely, according to the christian belief system.

I will never go to heaven, nor to hell. I just die. My soul on the other hand will go to heaven or to hell. But I will die. I cannot do anything about it.

But if it is that I am my soul, that we are the same thing, me and my soul. Then what use do I have of my body? Why don't I just get rid of it and fly freely? What's use do I have of my body with all its defects? Why not jump from a cliff and let the body die, and I will go on living forever?

Noone seems to know what a soul is. It cannot be examined by science, so it is just an religious entity, a supernatural thing. Please, anyone, tell me what the soul is, its properties, and if I am my body or if I am my soul. Skip the biblical refs, they mean nothing if they don't make me understand.

Thank you!
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '14 13:561 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No one seems to know what a soul is. ...
    Please, anyone, tell me what the soul is..
    Trying to be funny here 🙂

Nobody knows. The Bible says its the life force that God breathed into man.
    There are no explanations that would make any sense.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '14 13:58
    I got a question recently: ”FabianFnas, don't you want to live?” and the obvious answer would be ”Yes, of course, a while longer.” But it triggered me to think a bit.

In the christian belief system there is a soul in every body, at least noone can explain it to me so I can understand.

The soul is immortal, right? I am my body – my brain, my muscles ...[text shortened]... soul. Skip the biblical refs, they mean nothing if they don't make me understand.

Thank you!
    you do not posses a soul, you are a soul, a living breathing entity, that is what a soul is.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:02
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Trying to be funny here 🙂

Nobody knows. The Bible says its the life force that God breathed into man.
    There are no explanations that would make any sense.
    I was unintentionally funny there, I admit that.
    But yet, the soul word is used as it was a fact, something that everyone agree upon. So there be of some meaning that everyone can share?

I have a soul because god breated it into me when I was born inorder to make me to live, right?
    But animals are without soul, but yet they live. I don't get it.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you do not posses a soul, you are a soul, a living breathing entity, that is what a soul is.
    If I am a soul...

Copy from my initial posting of this thread:
    "But if it is that I am my soul, that we are the same thing, me and my soul. Then what use do I have of my body? Why don't I just get rid of it and fly freely? What's use do I have of my body with all its defects? Why not jump from a cliff and let the body die, and I will go on living forever?"
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:05
    I was unintentionally funny there, I admit that.
    But yet, the soul word is used as it was a fact, something that everyone agree upon. So there be of some meaning that everyone can share?

I have a soul because god breated it into me when I was born inorder to make me to live, right?
    But animals are without soul, but yet they live. I don't get it.
    According to the Bible animals have a soul as well. But its not the same type. When you ready for references [you said do not provide any], I can post them.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:071 edit
    If I am a soul...

Copy from my initial posting of this thread:
    "But if it is that I am my soul, that we are the same thing, me and my soul. Then what use do I have of my body? Why don't I just get rid of it and fly freely? What's use do I have of my body with all its defects? Why not jump from a cliff and let the body die, and I will go on living forever?"
    no you are still harboring the idea of possessing a soul, you dont posses a soul apart from you. The souls is the person, you, your body and the life force which animates your body.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:12
    According to the Bible animals have a soul as well. But its not the same type. When you ready for references [you said do not provide any], I can post them.
    So there are two kinds of souls? One for humans and another kind for animals? Oh, that's new for me.

Has every species has their own kind of soul, or is it the same kind of soul for every specie? From the elephant to the one cell amoeba?

Is it okay to think the soul is just the essence of life? And nothing more? That when I die, the essence of life is separated from my body. My body will rot, but the essence will find another new born baby to fill?

Or do the soul have a consciousness of its own? Yes, of course, if I am my soul, it must be so.

Do every christian agree on this?

(The refs from the bible kind of mess things up a bit. I rather have an explanation that I can understand.)
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no you are still harboring the idea of possessing a soul, you dont posses a soul apart from you. The souls is the person, you, your body and the life force which animates your body.
    So you say I am my soul. We are the same, me and my soul. Like FabianSoulFnas? This mean that I am immortal, right?

Then what use do I have of my body? Why don't I just get rid of it and fly freely? What's use do I have of my body with all its defects? Why not jump from a cliff and let the body die and rot, and I will go on living forever?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:242 edits
    So there are two kinds of souls? One for humans and another kind for animals? Oh, that's new for me.

Has every species has their own kind of soul, or is it the same kind of soul for every specie? From the elephant to the one cell amoeba?

Or do the soul have a consciousness of its own? Yes, of course, if I am my soul, it must be so.

Do every ...[text shortened]... rom the bible kind of mess things up a bit. I rather have an explanation that I can understand.)
    No .. one type for man and another for beasts. Its in the writing of Paul.

Is it okay to think the soul is just the essence of life? And nothing more? That when I die, the essence of life is separated from my body. My body will rot, but the essence will find another new born baby to fill?

This is in keeping with what the Bible says. The idea of reincarnation is frowned upon by Christians but the principle of it is there in the New Testament and supported by Christ.

There is sufficient Biblical support for the soul being conscious after the body dies. The nature and purpose of this is not clear.

Unfortunately as we all know the Bible is capable of supporting all kinds of doctrines. Hence the reason why I choose to swallow and digest the teachings of Christ first then all others after. For me that is the only way to steer clear of all these 'difficult' doctrines. So no, there are lots of variations among Christians pertaining to 'soul'.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:33
    No .. one type for man and another for beasts. Its in the writing of Paul.

This is in keeping with what the Bible says. The idea of ...[text shortened]... difficult' doctrines. So no, there are lots of variations among Christians pertaining to 'soul'.
    But my soul is a first time soul, isn't it? I mean, it hasn't been in another body before, right? Because I don't remember anything from a life before, therefore it was in a mint condition when I got it.

So I have no use of my body, none whatsoever. I am my soul, and it is tied up with my defective body, so now I will go out and get rid of it. A good idea, isn't it? But how come I am the first who came up with this brilliant idea? What's the catch? Why is suicide so bad? Why live this miserable life, why not kill all new born babies so they will see the creator right away?

Yes, I know I am wrong, but in this soular system it would, wouldn't it?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:43
    But my soul is a first time soul, isn't it? I mean, it hasn't been in another body before, right? Because I don't remember anything from a life before, therefore it was in a mint condition when I got it.

So I have no use of my body, none whatsoever. I am my soul, and it is tied up with my defective body, so now I will go out and get rid of it. A good i ...[text shortened]... creator right away?

Yes, I know I am wrong, but in this soular system it would, wouldn't it?
    The inability to remember is no proof of being a first time soul.

Who said death of the body means seeing the creator.

You idea is not so brilliant you do not fully understand what happens after death... nobody does really. Right now the jury is still out and its all speculation.
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:45
    Rajk999,

I am interested in the references, please PM me. Thanks.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 May '14 14:53
    The inability to remember is no proof of being a first time soul.

Who said death of the body means seeing the creator.

You idea is not so brilliant you do not fully understand what happens after death... nobody does really. Right now the jury is still out and its all speculation.
    "The inability to remember is no proof of being a first time soul."
    Okay, i see. The only thing I can remember is what has happened in my current life in my current body, right?
    But if I cannot remember anything from before my birth, then I cannot learn anything from before either. Then it doesn't matter if I am my soul, or if I am my body. Samo, samo.

"Who said death of the body means seeing the creator."
    So when my body is dead and I live on, what will happen? If I don't meet my creator, then what the point of dying?

If I can speculate as freely as anyone else, including those who wrote the bible, then my ideas is as good as any other ideas? As this is not science, nothing can be proven, and there are no witnesses from the other side of the life/death barrier. Then I can imagine my soul being blue and with seven arms, and this will be the truth for me, but not for anyone else? Everything about the soul busines is nothing more than speculations?

And yet there are a religious system, and a part of the christian belief, and noone really knows anyway? Perhaps the Hindus are right after all? Who knows? Who will really know?
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '14 15:03
    "The inability to remember is no proof of being a first time soul."
    Okay, i see. The only thing I can remember is what has happened in my current life in my current body, right?
    But if I cannot remember anything from before my birth, then I cannot learn anything from before either. Then it doesn't matter if I am my soul, or if I am my body. Samo, samo. ...[text shortened]... ne really knows anyway? Perhaps the Hindus are right after all? Who knows? Who will really know?
    In none of the religious systems is there a compulsion to know or understand fully what happens after death. I think many refer to that as 'Gods secret', which will be revealed when God is good and ready. Right now maybe our puny minds lack the depth to understand it all .. hence the secrecy.

Speculating is fun, if nothing else.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree