1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 23:055 edits
    It is claimed by certain theists that if it is true there are no gods then it must also be true that life is meaningless.
    My contention here is that the theists who do this are essentially redefining 'meaningless' so to cast atheism or non-belief in gods in a negative light.
    Indeed no definitions of meaningful, or meaningless I have come across make any reference to divine entities.

Why should we accept the proposition that an eternal existence, lived subservient to some magic being in some sort of heaven is any more meaningful than a finite existence lived, as a consequence of this, without any waste in opportunity; an existence that benefits ones self and other humans/creatures whilst alive, and provides a legacy for future generations when dead (and in the case of certain scientists/mathematicians/writers etc... all humanity)?

To those who would counter "all life must end" in the atheistic view, first it is interesting to note you're imposing that our universe is not destined for a big crunch Reveal Hidden Content
    where perhaps life may start again in another universe cycle
    , or that our universe is not one of many,Reveal Hidden Content
    i.e. a multiverse
    or any other scenario (sans gods) where life in any dimension must terminate forever. How do you justify these?
    Secondly, and more importantly, what non-trivial meaning is inherent in an eternal life for the sake of gratifying the ego of some magic deity??? Why should atheists agree that your answer is true???😕
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 00:17
    Originally posted by Agerg
    It is claimed by certain theists that if it is true there are no gods then it must also be true that life is meaningless.
    My contention here is that the theists who do this are essentially redefining 'meaningless' so to cast atheism or non-belief in gods in a negative light.
    Indeed no definitions of meaningful, or meaningless I have come across make any refe ...[text shortened]... ying the ego of some magic deity??? Why should atheists agree that your answer is true???😕
    because the only thing which separates us from squiggly the red squirrel is spirituality, in other words, without it, we are essentially the same, we build nests, we have children, we gather nuts for winter, we grow old and we die.

I must point out Agers that i am keen to distance myself from any type of we are meaningful and you're existence is meaningless unless you worship a deity, type of approach, I dont like it, it reeks to the high heavens of condescension.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 00:26
    The meaning of life is whatever you make of it.
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 00:42
    Indeed no definitions of meaningful, or meaningless I have come across make any refe ...[text shortened]... ying the ego of some magic deity??? Why should atheists agree that your answer is true???😕
    First of all, you are not qualified to ask questions like this, because you are at present under the influence of the madness disease, so how could you possibly appreciate an answer, if at present you believe dishonestly that life is a random accident.

We are not even talking about God, but how life comes to be.

First there was life, then came everything else.......but you have it back the front thinking first there was matter, and then there was life.(which is false)

So with your faulty beliefs you are not qualified to ask these types of questions, because you are bewildered by the madness disease and cannot see clearly.

Fix that first....then ask your question, because talking about meaning while you dont even accept the basics, is futile.
  5. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 00:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    because the only thing which separates us from squiggly the red squirrel is spirituality, in other words, without it, we are essentially the same, we build nests, we have children, we gather nuts for winter, we grow old and we die.
    The only thing which separates us from squiggly the red squirrel is spirituality? I don't agree at all. There is, of course, spirituality. But there is also imagination, intellect, thirst for knowledge, sense of history, romantic love, creativity, political belief and ambition, contemplativeness, aspirations, specualtions, personal growth and so on and so on. The list could stretch on for pages and pages. The fact that you declare confidently that spirituality is "the only thing which separates us" does not disguise the fact that there are hundreds of things - or perhaps even countless things - besides our spirituality, that set us apart from animals.
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 01:08
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    The only thing which separates us from squiggly the red squirrel is spirituality? I don't agree at all. There is, of course, spirituality. But there is also imagination, intellect, thirst for knowledge, sense of history, romantic love, creativity, political belief and ambition, contemplativeness, aspirations, specualtions, personal growth and so on and ...[text shortened]... or perhaps even countless things - besides our spirituality, that set us apart from animals.
    Robbie means that only humans can question and seek meaning....but a squirrel cant.........do you not see that?

And that is the one thing that separates us from the animals, and if a human doesn't question his existence and seek God, his human birth is wasted, and he is on the same level as an animal.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 01:12
    Why does it matter to you if life is meaningful or not?
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 01:13
    What you miss is truly the most important piece. You've subtracted an impotent god from the scenario, one with whom you are little impressed and then consider the situation sans this unimpressive god. It's rather easy to make meaning where none exists; one could say it's mandatory given the human condition. The fact that the antitheist declares meaning in situations where none exists attests to this: man needs meaning in life, else he is without hope. The overwhelming majority of suicides occur as a result of a soul becoming convinced of the hopelessness of their situation.

The god you are imagining doesn't exist, doesn't.

However, the God who imparts meaning to life does so on the basis of His character. The living God is glorious beyond description... and yet, we try. His goodness is the source of all happiness; His overflowing love the format for all warmth even remotely related. When this God leaves the room, life exits as well.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 01:172 edits
    The only thing which separates us from squiggly the red squirrel is spirituality? I don't agree at all. There is, of course, spirituality. But there is also imagination, intellect, thirst for knowledge, sense of history, romantic love, creativity, political belief and ambition, contemplativeness, aspirations, specualtions, personal growth and so on and or perhaps even countless things - besides our spirituality, that set us apart from animals.
    all these things that you mention are under the realm of spirituality, for i do not harbour for one moment the belief, and i dont think you do either that it pertains simply to belief in the supernatural. You have based your evaluation on an assumption. Of course spirituality has to do with the imagination, our personal growth, thinking on our past mistakes, reflecting upon them and trying to find solutions, our desires and aspirations, its all of these things.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 01:341 edit
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    First of all, you are not qualified to ask questions like this, because you are at present under the influence of the madness disease, so how could you possibly appreciate an answer, if at present you believe dishonestly that life is a random accident.

We are not even talking about God, but how life comes to be.

First there was life, then came every ...[text shortened]... k your question, because talking about meaning while you dont even accept the basics, is futile.
    Yes, I am an atheist ergo I suffer from the madness disease! If
    only I could suspend my scepticism for one moment and accept
    unquestioningly the proposition our universe is trillions of years old!

Maybe I should also open my mind to the truth in tea leaf readings,
    or perhaps a bit of astrology. That aside however; given that I can't
    really change my view until it's shown, with a valid argument, how
    over-stretched is my hold on reality without gods, I must ask that you
    now make a positive contribution to this thread, or just clear off!

🙂
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 01:371 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Why does it matter to you if life is meaningful or not?
    The contempt implied by your response not completely escaping my notice, why shouldn't it?
    Why would a person who has expressed non-belief in "God" concern himself with discussions about God???

Perhaps I just enjoy the discussion, perhaps there is the opportunity to revise my views with respect to what is feasible and what isn't.
  12. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 01:561 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Of course spirituality has to do with the imagination, our personal growth, thinking on our past mistakes, reflecting upon them and trying to find solutions, our desires and aspirations, its all of these things.
    Yes indeed, spirituality has got something to do with all the things I mentioned. But, at the same time, all the things I mentioned do not necessarily have something to do with spirituality. Quite clearly, as demonstrated by the rich and meaningful lives lived by countless non-believers and non-religionists all across the world, the existence and enjoyment of things like imagination, intellect, thirst for knowledge, sense of history, romantic love, creativity, political belief and ambition, contemplativeness, aspirations, specualtions, personal growth [and so on], are not dependent on a belief in the supernatural.
  13. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 02:03
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Robbie means that only humans can question and seek meaning....but a squirrel cant.........do you not see that?
    What robbie meant - what he specifically said - was: "The only thing which separates us from squiggly the red squirrel is spirituality". I disgree with him about it being "the only thing". Of course humans can question and seek meaning, and some - like you - find what you believe to be 'answers' in the realm of spirituality and the supernatural. Quite clearly, not all humans do this, and they instead find 'meaning' [in so much as they feel the need to so self-consciously] in things not of a spiritual or supernatural nature, or not in terms of theology, theism, or codified or organized religion.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 02:07
    Yes indeed, spirituality has got something to do with all the things I mentioned. But, at the same time, all the things I mentioned do not necessarily have something to do with spirituality. Quite clearly, as demonstrated by the rich and meaningful lives lived by countless non-believers and non-religionists all across the world, the existence and enjoy ...[text shortened]... s, specualtions, personal growth [and so on], are not dependent on a belief in the supernatural.
    Yes of course they are not. We think of music in terms of spirituality, its certainly superfluous to our survival, as is appreciation of art, literature, history etc. Spirituality has to do with the flow of consciousness, this was my meaning and intent.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 02:231 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    What you miss is truly the most important piece. You've subtracted an impotent god from the scenario, one with whom you are little impressed and then consider the situation sans this unimpressive god. It's rather easy to make meaning where none exists; one could say it's mandatory given the human condition. The fact that the antitheist declares meaning t for all warmth even remotely related. When this God leaves the room, life exits as well.
    But in the same way you charge me, an "anti-theist", with transplanting meaning into a situation which lacks it; I can level the same charge back at you. Indeed, you somehow cheapen the life we have here on earth by insisting it is all for nought without some ever present, all powerful non-physical deity, defined (by theists) to be morally transcendent and all loving, presiding over its operation. My question is: what compels me to agree with you here? or otherwise why should I not see this as an unsubstantiated assertion?

It is important that theists explain this on our terms if they are prepared to make the allegation our lives are meaningless! Otherwise, why should we believe them???

I don't disagree with you that without hope, without reason to continue existing, one might be motivated to just end it all and commit suicide; but this isn't just a condition experienced by atheists alone. Moreover I could argue that introducing a god might introduce only a false (and subjective) hope.

Speaking for myself, there are many occasions I am happy (good music, good friends, success in my hobbies and studies, appreciation of 'beauty', etc...) and since I don't believe in your god I cannot be expected to believe your claim that all happiness is derived from your God's "Goodness".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree