1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 01:331 edit
    (Luke 22:19-20) . . .Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”  Also, the cup in the same way after they had the evening meal, he saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.

The forthcoming date of Tuesday, 30th of march, 2010 after sundown, corresponds to the Jewish month on Nisan the fourteenth, the very evening in which Christ would have celebrated the passover as prescribed by the law and then institute this very special occasion of the Lords evening meal, giving his life for the redemption of mankind.

Dear friends you are warmly invited to any Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses, throughout the earth, to observe this very ancient yet significant occasion, a celebration if you like, of the life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, cleansing our consciences of the burden of sin and guilt and making a relationship with the most high possible.

Consider what others have stated about our exemplar.

“Jesus of Nazareth . . . is easily the dominant figure in history.”—H. G. Wells, English historian.

“Christ stands . . . solitary and alone among all the heroes of history.”—Philip Schaff, Swiss-born theologian and historian

“It would require much exotic calculation, however, to deny that the single most powerful figure—not merely in these two millenniums but in all human history—has been Jesus of Nazareth.”—Reynolds Price, American writer and Bible scholar.

“A man who was completely innocent offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act.”—Mohandas K. Gandhi, political and spiritual leader of India.

“As a child, I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene.”—Albert Einstein, German-born scientist.

“Jesus Christ, to me, is the outstanding personality of all time, all history, both as Son of God and as Son of Man. Everything He ever said or did has value for us today, and that is something you can say of no other man, alive or dead.”—Sholem Asch, Polish-born essayist as quoted in Christian Herald; italics theirs.

“For thirty five years of my life I was, in the proper acceptation of the word, nihilist, a man who believed in nothing. Five years ago my faith came to me. I believed in the doctrine of Jesus Christ and my whole life underwent a sudden transformation.”—Count Leo Tolstoy, Russian novelist and philosopher.

“[Jesus’] life is the most influential ever lived on this planet and its effect continues to mount.”—Kenneth Scott Latourette, American historian and author.

“Shall we suppose the evangelic history a mere fiction? Indeed, my friend, it bears not the marks of fiction. On the contrary, the history of Socrates, which nobody presumes to doubt, is not so well attested as that of Jesus Christ.”—Jean-Jacques Rousseau, French philosopher.

Please be assured this is a happy but dignified occasion and anyone who wishes to observe is most welcome. To myself and Galvo these are the most significant days of our year, the most sacred as we reflect upon the life and personage of the Christ, who through self sacrifice made 'all things possible'.
  2. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 01:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    (Luke 22:19-20) . . .Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”  Also, the cup in the same way after they had the evening meal, he saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in y ...[text shortened]... onsciences of the burden of sin and guilt and making a relationship with the most high possible.
    Do not memorialize dates so that they are idolized. Is that not the policy of the Jehovahs Witness? Or am I mixing up denominations? They are the ones who don't celebrate birthdays or Christmas, right?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 01:53
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    Do not memorialize dates so that they are idolized. Is that not the policy of the Jehovahs Witness? Or am I mixing up denominations? They are the ones who don't celebrate birthdays or Christmas, right?
    The memorial is calculated every year to correspond to the exact night of the passover celebration as observed by Christ. It changes every year because the ancient Jews observed a lunar calendar,so it corresponds to the new moon. We as far as i am aware, do not idolise a date. I you want to observe the occasion you should go along to your local Kingdom Hall. In Japan there are many and the Japanese 'brothers', as are reputed to be exceptionally hospitable. You are correct we do not observe birthdays or Christmas. This is our special occasion, the memorial of Christ.
  4. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 01:55
    The memorial is calculated every year to correspond to the exact night of the passover celebration as observed by Christ. It changes every year because the ancient Jews observed a lunar calendar,so it corresponds to the new moon. We as far as i am aware, do not idolise a date. I you want to observe the occasion you should go along to your local Ki ...[text shortened]... do not observe birthdays or Christmas. This is our special occasion, the memorial of Christ.
    I see. So this is the only holiday celebrated by the Jehovas Witness?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:071 edit
    I see. So this is the only holiday celebrated by the Jehovas Witness?
    Lol, its not really a holiday, but just an occasion if you like. We also celebrate wedding anniversaries and we have surprise days where we just buy presents for people we love. Honestly the Japanese have an outstanding reputation among Jehovah Witnesses for being loving and hospitable, they just seem to like to do things together.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:10
    Lol, its not really a holiday, but just an occasion if you like. We also celebrate wedding anniversaries and we have surprise days where we just buy presents for people we love. Honestly the Japanese have an outstanding reputation among Jehovah Witnesses for being loving and hospitable, they just seem to like to do things together.
    Shall you bring the Easter eggs to the celebratoin or shall I? 😛
  7. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:17
    I would, unfortunately, not be the best candidate for membership. I tend to have an underlying philosophical objection to religions, or spirituality I suppose, in general. Religious people are some of the nicest I know, but I feel... intrusive... when attending services in any church or worship service.
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:25
    I enjoyed the quotes about Christ !!

“As a child, I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene.”—Albert Einstein, German-born scientist.

Luminous indeed 🙂
    I literally live 1/2 mile or so from a Kingdom Hall. Doubt I will go there though.

Manny
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:29
    I would, unfortunately, not be the best candidate for membership. I tend to have an underlying philosophical objection to religions, or spirituality I suppose, in general. Religious people are some of the nicest I know, but I feel... intrusive... when attending services in any church or worship service.
    Sure i understand, this is the one occasion when there are equal amounts of members of the public and witnesses present, sometimes more members of the public, well if you change your mind you are most welcome anyhow 🙂
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:331 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    I enjoyed the quotes about Christ !!

Luminous indeed 🙂
    I literally live 1/2 mile or so from a Kingdom Hall. Doubt I will go there though.

Manny
    it literally lasts half an hour and then you get kicked out. Someone gives a discourse i think for twenty minutes detailing the events of Jesus life, the significance of the sacrifice, what the wine and the blood represent , the unleavened bread gets passed, then the wine, then concluding comments then everyone goes home, it lasts for thirty minutes max, well ,you are welcome anyhow Manny if you change your mind, Tuesday after sundown. There will probably be more non witnesses than witnesses, yes its interesting to see how Christ was valued by others, many of them non Christians. 🙂
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:51
    it literally lasts half an hour and then you get kicked out. Someone gives a discourse i think for twenty minutes detailing the events of Jesus life, the significance of the sacrifice, what the wine and the blood represent , the unleavened bread gets passed, then the wine, then concluding comments then everyone goes home, it lasts for thirty minutes ...[text shortened]... ses, yes its interesting to see how Christ was valued by others, many of them non Christians. 🙂
    What, no Easter eggs!! All you will have is wine and bread? 😠

If nothing else, you should have every drunk in town at the celebration!! 😛
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 11:381 edit
    (Luke 22:19-20) . . .Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”  Also, the cup in the same way after they had the evening meal, he saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in y ...[text shortened]... n the life and personage of the Christ, who through self sacrifice made 'all things possible'.
    Romans 14:5,6

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

Personally, I observe and give thanks to God for sending His Son to die for me everyday. I don't see the value in setting aside one day to make special observance. But that's me.

I'm not saying that that is what you're doing robbie, and I don't presume to judge you about it.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 12:50
    (Luke 22:19-20) . . .Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”  Also, the cup in the same way after they had the evening meal, he saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in y ...[text shortened]... n the life and personage of the Christ, who through self sacrifice made 'all things possible'.
    Well, as a Catholic who attends daily Mass, I remember Christ's death each day. Each Sunday, with all Christians around the world, I then celebrate this in the context of Christ's resurrection. Shame that JWs miss out on this.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 16:56
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Well, as a Catholic who attends daily Mass, I remember Christ's death each day. Each Sunday, with all Christians around the world, I then celebrate this in the context of Christ's resurrection. Shame that JWs miss out on this.
    we have been through this Conrau, so let us not talk falsely now, Christ instituted the memorial on an annual occasion, the Jewish passover as prescribed by the law. You are free to celebrate it as per the doctrines of your church, who in instituting it every day, must have been quite forgetful, considering they only showed remembrance the day before.

The date Tuesday the 30th of March, 2010 after sundown actually corresponds to the day and the hour Christ instituted the remembrance all those years ago, please do not detract from the occasion with petty references to missing out, as if anyone ever missed out by not attending a mass. Christ never stated that we should celebrate his resurrection but rather his death and its significance, it is of course a practice of Catholicism and a command of men to do otherwise, not of scripture, you would do well to remember that.
  15. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 18:40
    it literally lasts half an hour and then you get kicked out. Someone gives a discourse i think for twenty minutes detailing the events of Jesus life, the significance of the sacrifice, what the wine and the blood represent , the unleavened bread gets passed, then the wine, then concluding comments then everyone goes home, it lasts for thirty minutes ...[text shortened]... ses, yes its interesting to see how Christ was valued by others, many of them non Christians. 🙂
    the wine and unleavened bread are passed, but who is invited to partake in the Lord's supper?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree