1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 20:31
    Should mental health patients have access to the religion of their choice?

For example if a paranoid schizophrenic wants to see a priest, should that be arranged? Is it a human right? Is there reasons it shouldnt be a human right?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 20:42
    I can't think of a good reason why not. One help a priest could be would be to act as an authority to help stop them thinking that any voices they hear are God telling them to do things.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 20:43
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

For example if a paranoid schizophrenic wants to see a priest, should that be arranged? Is it a human right? Is there reasons it shouldnt be a human right?
    If there is no danger to the priest, then I don't see why not. Are these mental patients that are normally denied visitation? Or are there costs involved when asking a priest to visit?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 20:50

Are you sure you understand what a 'paranoid schizophrenic' actually is. I dont think you actually do or at very least you are unaware that paranoia and schizophrenia manifest themselves in different ways to different degrees. They don't necessarily have a symbiotic relationship. A much better question would be, why should someone suffering from a mental health ailment be denied recourse to a religion of their choice.
  5. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 21:07
    From a religious recruiting point of view its the perfect time to engage with someone, when they are vulnerable!
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 21:24
    Originally posted by OdBod
    From a religious recruiting point of view its the perfect time to engage with someone, when they are vulnerable!
    That is true. I have also seen religious recruiting going on at funerals and by sick beds for the same reason. The Catholic school I went to however did not seem to be used for recruitment in any overt way.
    But unless we wish to outlaw religious recruiting, I don't see why we should stop a psychiatric patient from requesting an audience with a religious person.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 21:37

The issues of human rights for the mentally I'll far exceeds just their right to religious choice. That is only a very small part of a very big problem facing those who suffer with mental health issues. I know!

My oldest son was diagnosed with schizophrenia at 18. He is now 40, and I have been caring for him without the help of the system ever since. In other words, except for my direct involvement with my son's doctor concerning his care and medications, I have not involved any other institutional resources in his life. He lives at home with his family.

But many others aren't always so fortunate. You may be interested in the link below.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/25/stigma-of-mental-illness/9875351/
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 22:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Are you sure you understand what a 'paranoid schizophrenic' actually is. I dont think you actually do or at very least you are unaware that paranoia and schizophrenia manifest themselves in different ways to different degrees. They don't necessarily have a symbiotic relationship. A much better question would be, why should someone suffering from a mental health ailment be denied recourse to a religion of their choice.
    .., why should someone suffering from a mental health ailment be denied recourse to a religion of their choice."

No reason.

Another good question, maybe even a better one is, why should anyone be denied recourse to a religion of their choice?

But there is the issue of religions that can be detrimental to anyone's mental health. For example, a religion that prescribes hatred, subverts governments and trains its adherents in the Art of war.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 22:12
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If there is no danger to the priest, then I don't see why not. Are these mental patients that are normally denied visitation? Or are there costs involved when asking a priest to visit?
    I think the OP is alluding to a Priest reinforcing a schizophrenic's "Voice of God" in their head.

It's a good question - I would always support freedom of religion but when
    that religion (and presumably that is most) accept the phenomenon/miracle
    of a god "speaking" directly to an individual where do you draw the line?
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 22:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    im guessing that you know i work in mental health as its been mentioned in various debates. so i can only assume you are trying to bait a reaction...if so, considering the topic, its rather pathetic.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 23:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    my experience is that most get access to a priest or equivalent but only if they are deemed to have the ability to make an informed decision. but this raises all sorts of ethical questions.

one would be- why wouldnt god speak to somebody with mental illness?should god not speak to that person to avoid them appearing delusional?

is it possible for a person to turn to the correct religion whilst having a mental episode?
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 23:05
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I think the OP is alluding to a Priest reinforcing a schizophrenic's "Voice of God" in their head.

It's a good question - I would always support freedom of religion but when
    that religion (and presumably that is most) accept the phenomenon/miracle
    of a god "speaking" directly to an individual where do you draw the line?
    this is a good point, but not the only point i was raising. should doctors be 'suspect' when schizoid raises god?
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 23:20
    Random example:

Laney woke up one night in May 2003 and took Joshua to the yard
    of her home in New Chapel Hill, Texas where she lifted a huge rock
    over her head and brought it down with all her strength against his
    skull, killing him. She did the same thing with Luke. Later on, she
    tried to kill her youngest son, 14-month-old Aaron, in the same way.
    He survived, but suffered severe head injuries.

During the investigation, Laney claimed God ordered her to bash in
    her sons' heads. Laney is a member of an Assemblies of God church,
    where she sang in the choir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deanna_Laney_murders
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 03:06

I thought Obama simply chose not to attend church. I had no idea anyone was stopping him from attending.

😛
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 03:151 edit
    I once started a thread, "Is Islam and mental illness a deadly combination".

It was the first and only thread that I started that was banned. :'(

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree