Merry christmas

Merry christmas

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
22 Dec 07
1 edit

Lets all remember the reason for the season!!!

Our lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

Have a merry Christmas everyone.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Dec 07

Originally posted by torch71

Well said.

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to all.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
22 Dec 07

Ah yes. Born of a virgin on Dec. 25. And who rose into the heavens while his followers watched. His unforgettable quote which still remains on a wall at the Vatican, "Unless you drink of my blood and eat of my flesh you will not be with me in the next world."

This is the story of Mithras.
The religion from which this myth was "borrowed" from was Mithraism.
Mithras is the reason for the season.

Moves
22 Dec 07

Nothing like good old fashioned Christian revisionist history.

Actually the original reason for the season is the winter solstice. Otherwise known as Yule. It is an ancient Germanic holiday. The celebration of the birth of christ was simply placed there to overlap Yule as a convenience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

So Happy Yule!

c

Moves
22 Dec 07

Originally posted by Ullr
Nothing like good old fashioned Christian revisionist history.

Actually the original reason for the season is the winter solstice. Otherwise known as Yule. It is an ancient Germanic holiday. The celebration of the birth of christ was simply placed there to overlap Yule as a convenience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

So Happy Yule!
It was to give the pagans an alternative, to believe in something that is real. That's why it was added then.

So again.............MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Moves
22 Dec 07

Originally posted by chappy1
It was to give the pagans an alternative, to believe in something that is real. That's why it was added then.

So again.............MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Well at least you admit that Christmas was not originally a Christian holiday. As far as Christian Mythology being any more real than Teutonic Mythology ... well that's just a matter of opinion.

t

Moves
22 Dec 07

Well at least you admit that Christmas was not originally a Christian holiday. As far as Christian Mythology being any more real than Teutonic Mythology ... well that's just a matter of opinion.
So your reason for posting is why? Merry Christmas

Moves
22 Dec 07

So your reason for posting is why? Merry Christmas
My reason for posting is to educate you as to why your use of the phrase "the reason for the season" is arrogant and historically inaccurate.

Happy Yule!

c

Moves
22 Dec 07

Make no mistake, I know that Christmas was simply added on top of the winter solstice for the above reason, however, that was simply a strategy. Jesus was born they just don't know for sure the exact date.

t

Moves
22 Dec 07

My reason for posting is to educate you as to why your use of the phrase "the reason for the season" is arrogant and historically inaccurate.

Happy Yule!
You have no factual evidence to prove otherwise. So who here is the arrogant one?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

w

Moves
22 Dec 07

Happy Yule!
You know your right. Typically the reason for the season for most is to get together with family and exchange gifts and decorate your house and such. However, for others the reason for the season goes beyond all this. As for those people, the reason for the season really is about Christ coming into the world. Merry ChristX!!!

Moves
22 Dec 07

You have no factual evidence to prove otherwise. So who here is the arrogant one?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Oh please. I've only got a couple of thousand years of documented history to prove otherwise. Including works of Christian scholors like the Venerable Bede, Snorri Sturlisson, and Saxo Grammaticus. Or how about 18th century scholars like Jacob Grimm and Vicktor Rydberg. This is just to name a few.

Moves
22 Dec 07
2 edits

Originally posted by chappy1
Make no mistake, I know that Christmas was simply added on top of the winter solstice for the above reason, however, that was simply a strategy. Jesus was born they just don't know for sure the exact date.
My reply to this thread wasn't about whether or not Jesus was born but merely an objection that originally the reason for the season had nothing to do with Jesus. You've agreed with me on that point so I commend you for not having your head up your arse.

Moves
22 Dec 07

Originally posted by whodey
You know your right. Typically the reason for the season for most is to get together with family and exchange gifts and decorate your house and such. However, for others the reason for the season goes beyond all this. As for those people, the reason for the season really is about Christ coming into the world. Merry ChristX!!!
Agreed. And believe it or not, for others it is to celebrate the holiday of Yule as it was before Christianity.

c

Moves
22 Dec 07

My reply to this thread wasn't about whether or not Jesus was born but merely an objection that originally the reason for the season had nothing to do with Jesus. You've agreed with me on that point so I commend you for not having your head up your arse.
Ok then. Nevertheless I do celebrate Christmas because I celebrate Jesus, my savior, coming into the world. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.