1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 07:371 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't really use either. I just used the expression 'unchanging truth' in my previous post because you asked me to use it. You seem to have declined the invitation to run some of your own past me. I certainly don't use the term "absolute truth" in the way you do, which is to attempt to lend some gravitas to your superstitious notions and opinions about supernatural things.
    But what is your actual objection to using the words 'absolute truth'?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 07:412 edits
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    But what is your actual objection to using the words 'absolute truth'?
    Two things: [1] the way you use it, which I frankly find ridiculous; so it's no use to you and me for communication, except that you using it indicates you are making pompous or pretentious claims about your superstitions ~ weren't you using it as a synonym for "universal truth"?; and [2] I don't need it, so why would I use it?
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 07:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Two things: [1] the way you use it, which I frankly find ridiculous; so it's no use to you and me for communication, except that you using it indicates you are making pompous or pretentious claims about your superstitions ~ weren't you using as a synonym for "universal truth"?; and [2] I don't need it, so why would I use it?
    Obviously you find my use of it ridiculous because you don't share my beliefs. Out of interest, when you were a Christian, did you believe your Christianity was only relatively true to Christians or did you believe it was universally true?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 07:55
    Obviously you find my use of it ridiculous because you don't share my beliefs.
    And I don't give too hoots how many times you insist that your personal opinions are "universal truths". It'd be like me insisting that you not hold Christian beliefs because my take on things is "universal". Of course it's ridiculous.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 07:57
    Out of interest, when you were a Christian, did you believe your Christianity was only relatively true to Christians or did you believe it was universally true?
    I don't go around using the term "universally true" and I don't remember using it in the past.
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 08:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    And I don't give too hoots how many times you insist that your personal opinions are "universal truths". It'd be like me insisting that you not hold Christian beliefs because my take on things is "universal". Of course it's ridiculous.
    Obviously they are to me it would be silly to pretend otherwise. What exactly is the point of believing in relative truth? That is absolutely meaningless to me. 🙂
  7. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 08:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't go around using the term "universally true" and I don't remember using it in the past.
    Obviously from your point of view anybody can believe in whatever they want as long as they don't claim that it is true.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 08:08
    Obviously from your point of view anybody can believe in whatever they want as long as they don't claim that it is true.
    You can believe whatever you want and claim - as true - whatever you want.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 08:12
    Obviously they are to me it would be silly to pretend otherwise. What exactly is the point of believing in relative truth? That is absolutely meaningless to me. 🙂
    Just as your claims about the "absolute" and "universal truth" of your notions about angels, demons and divine beings are meaningless to me, aside from letting me know what kind of superstitions you have.
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 08:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    You clearly seem to take offense at the use of the words 'universal truth', I wonder why that is?
  11. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 08:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    You can believe whatever you want and claim - as true - whatever you want.
    Truth by nature is universal. Whether you like it or not.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 08:35
    You simply asserting that your superstitions are "true" does not make them "universal" in any sense other than a subjective one, no matter how much you gird your ideological loins with adjectives brandishing your personal certainty. Your beliefs and my beliefs about the supernatural dimension do not rise much above the rank of conjecture and opinions, If you want to declare your superstitions to be somehow true for everyone, and that helps you lead your life - then, good for you.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 09:08
    You clearly seem to take offense at the use of the words 'universal truth', I wonder why that is?
    What do you mean I "take offence"? What are you on about?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 11:40
    You're talking nonsense. (Whether you like it or not). And highly repetitive nonsense at that.

This thread is about miracles. If you suddenly stopped talking about absolute truth I would be a believer.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 14:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    Give me a scenario. I've never seen or experienced a miracle.
    How about a lunar lander was never tested successfully on the earth, and an astronaut nearly died in the test.

Yet it worked successfully the first time it went 234,000 miles away on the Moon.
    And five more times without a glitch, each time with two cheery human beings inside.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree