Mistaking forum activity with progress

Mistaking forum activity with progress

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 Nov 13

Show of hands, please.

How many Christians herein have lost sight of their original (self-described) charter dating back to when they first began frequenting this forum?
How many convinced themselves their presence here was specifically and primarily for the purpose of disseminating the Gospel, preaching the Good News?
How many committed themselves to being a light in darkness, willingly sacrificing themselves for the sake of the heathens herein?
How many of the hands still up in the air can say they're holding true to their original purpose?
Assuming there are any hands left aloft, how many of you have confused arguing with unbelievers/naysayers/mockers with actual spiritual activity?

Two, Peter, three-eighteen.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Nov 13

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Show of hands, please.

How many Christians herein have lost sight of their original (self-described) charter dating back to when they first began frequenting this forum?
How many convinced themselves their presence here was specifically and primarily for the purpose of disseminating the Gospel, preaching the Good News?
How many committed themselves to ...[text shortened]... ith unbelievers/naysayers/mockers with actual spiritual activity?

Thumbs Up.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
15 Nov 13

Show of hands, please.

How many committed themselves to ...[text shortened]... ith unbelievers/naysayers/mockers with actual spiritual activity?

The threshold for sacrifice certainly has come down quite a bit.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Nov 13

Show of hands, please.

I stumbled upon this site purely by accident. It interested me to know what others thought, and I just started reading and exchanging.
My purpose was only entertainment, but has become challenging at times.
I have learned much from both Theist's and Atheist's post's.

I am still interested, made some "digital" friends and possibly enemies( I hope not). Sometimes it reminds me of Mars Hill in the book of Acts, where there are many different beliefs, and opinions.

All in all, I hope I have helped someone, but it is not my main form of outreach. I fall short in growing in God's grace, but try to give grace to every one.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
16 Nov 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I stumbled upon this site purely by accident. It interested me to know what others thought, and I just started reading and exchanging.
My purpose was only entertainment, but has become challenging at times.
I have learned much from both Theist's and Atheist's post's.

I am still interested, made some "digital" friends and possibly enemies( I hope not ...[text shortened]... in form of outreach. I fall short in growing in God's grace, but try to give grace to every one.
Here's another thing you can learn from an atheist. You don't use apostrophes for plurals. Your sentence should read: I have learned much from both theists and atheists posts.

Go your way and sin no more.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Nov 13

Originally posted by rwingett
Here's another thing you can learn from an atheist. You don't use apostrophes for plurals. Your sentence should read: I have learned much from both theists and atheists posts.

Go your way and sin no more.
I have learned much from both Theist's and Atheist's post's

should be

I have learned much from both theists' and atheists' posts.

The apostrophe goes after the s for plurals.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Nov 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59

should be

Well I learned something new today! 🙂
Kelly

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 Nov 13

should be

Theist's is singular possessive. Theists' is plural possessive.

The Possessive Apostrophe

by Daniel Scocco

It’s time to talk about being possessive. Sometimes possessiveness is good, sometimes it’s bad. However you look at it, if you’re speaking English, then you will need an apostrophe to show who owns what.

The apostrophe (&lsquo😉 is one of the most used and misused English punctuation marks. No one is ever quite sure where to put it. You can use it when things are left out (contractions), but it’s the possessiveness that causes the most trouble.

The apostrophe is all about making a statement of ownership. You belong to me. This belongs to that. In grammar speak, the apostrophe shows the possessive of nouns.

There are four ways to use the apostrophe to show ownership or belonging.

1. Add apostrophe s to the end of a singular noun that does not end in s:
•the manager’s room

2. Add apostrophe s to the end of a singular noun, even if it ends in s (this practice may vary in some places):
•Doris’s scarf

3. Add apostrophe s to the end of a plural noun that doesn’t end in s
•the children’s bag

4. If the plural noun ends in s, just add the apostrophe
•my friends’ car

Notice that possessive pronouns like yours, his, hers, ours, its and theirs are not followed by the apostrophe.

Finally, if you want to play around with it, Wikipedia has a list of four phrases illustrating how the apostrophe can literally change the meaning of sentences.
•my sister’s friend’s investments (I have one sister and she has one friend.)
•my sisters’ friends’ investments (I have many sisters and they have many friends.)
•my sisters’ friend’s investments (I have many sisters and they have one friend.)
•my sister’s friends’ investments (I have one sister and she has many friends.)

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-possessive-apostrophe/

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
16 Nov 13

should be

Indeed. I stand corrected. 😳

Moves
16 Nov 13

Originally posted by rwingett
Indeed. I stand corrected. 😳
And now yous are saved.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Nov 13

Interesting challenge: To take the same care with significant factual detail and accuracy of the rationales expressed in our viewpoints and opinions as we attempt to do with proper punctuation and accepted conventions of language usage.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Nov 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Interesting challenge: To take the same care with significant factual detail and accuracy of the rationales expressed in our viewpoints and opinions as we attempt to do with proper punctuation and accepted conventions of language usage.
I told you I learn from both believers and unbelievers. Thank you both.🙂

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Nov 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I told you I learn from both believers and unbelievers. Thank you both.🙂
I should have said, "See, I learned from everyone here today..."

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Nov 13

Show of hands, please.

Back to the original topic.

I had no agenda when I came here.

I just didn't think I should stand by while some atheists possibly talked some would-be Christian out of accepting the Lord's gift. That's just a lose-lose situation.

I'm not of the opinion that I'm 'sacrificing myself' just by participating here.

Moves
16 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Back to the original topic.

I just didn't think I should stand by while some atheists possibly talked some would-be Christian out of accepting the Lord's gift. That's just a lose-lose situation.

I'm not of the opinion that I'm 'sacrificing myself' just by participating here.
I just didn't think I should stand by while some atheists possibly talked some would-be Christian out of accepting the Lord's gift.

See that, right there, is an agenda.

Um... this word... I do not think it means what you think it means...