1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 19:03
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You want Christian input on this?

Baloney. If you did, you wouldn't have started a "Moderated" thread.

At least you could be upfront about your "moderation" idea just being a front to silence Christians. Don't set up a topic as "moderated" (aka biased and exclusive) and then complain you're not getting the theist side participating. It's like compl ...[text shortened]... ining that the Jews aren't showing up for a Nazi symposium on "The Final Solution: Hit or Miss?"
    Yes, we want Christian input on the question of the relative theological importance of the Immaculate Conception and the Virgin Birth. Ideally, input from a diverse array of Christians including Catholics, Protestants and others.

What do you think about the question?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 20:05
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    That's just sad. 😕
    It is probably the least of the pathetic behaviours exhibited in here recently. But yes I've noticed the systemic thumbing down also; not that I care about the thumbing, I'm more interested in the thinking driving the behaviour. I guess one doesn't need much courage to thumb down post rather than be forthright on ones POV.
  3. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 04:163 edits
    I believe in the Immaculate Reception but I don't consider it really strictly necessary
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 05:27
    Originally posted by Of Ants and Imps
    Of Ants and Imps post seems to have been made in the Quoted post box. It was:
    I believe in the Immaculate Reception but I don't consider it really strictly necessary
    The immaculate reception? Is this a typo or are you trying to say something different?
  5. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 06:38
    I don't remember seeing the Immaculate Reception, only hearing about it. I remember the announcers doing the broadcast, Franco Harris and company giving an interview, the reaction of the crowd. But I never saw the play, and so I trust my Dad who I consider a witness of the fact. Let me guess, I should start a new thread. I was trying to give a parallel.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 06:41
    I don't remember seeing the Immaculate Reception, only hearing about it. I remember the announcers doing the broadcast, Franco Harris and company giving an interview, the reaction of the crowd. But I never saw the play, and so I trust my Dad who I consider a witness of the fact. Let me guess, I should start a new thread. I was trying to give a parallel.
    I don't think it counts as a miracle as it can be recreated under playstation laboratory conditions.
  7. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 09:13
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Yes, we want Christian input on the question of the relative theological importance of the Immaculate Conception and the Virgin Birth. Ideally, input from a diverse array of Christians including Catholics, Protestants and others.

What do you think about the question?
    The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is a purely Catholic doctrine (two similar ones are Transubstantiation and Papal Infallibility) which most Protestants either violently disagree with or simply ignore.

For me, it is merely interesting to note that they saw the need for this doctrine, which really isn't necessary, but I don't think it is worth killing people over it!
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Dec '14 13:20
    Originally posted by CalJust
    The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is a purely Catholic doctrine (two similar ones are Transubstantiation and Papal Infallibility) which most Protestants either violently disagree with or simply ignore.

For me, it is merely interesting to note that they saw the need for this doctrine, which really isn't necessary, but I don't think it is worth killing people over it!
    I agree, I don't believe in it! The doctrine is not important to me, but
    maybe for those that believe in it is. I assume those that do agree with it,
    don't like the idea that Christ could come from a normal woman they have
    to make her out to be something more.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Dec '14 17:01
    I looked it up. I see the point you're making now, but that one's a bit lost on people on this side of the Atlantic.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 06:54
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I agree, I don't believe in it! The doctrine is not important to me, but
    maybe for those that believe in it is. I assume those that do agree with it,
    don't like the idea that Christ could come from a normal woman they have
    to make her out to be something more.
    What I don't get is this:
    If you want Mary to be special then the Immaculate Conception (so she is
    without Original Sin) and her Virginity (sinless?) are important.

If you don't need Mary to be special then neither Immaculate Conception or
    the Virgin Birth are important.

Why one and not the other? Both or neither seems more coherent.
  11. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 07:281 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    What I don't get is this:
    If you want Mary to be special then the Immaculate Conception (so she is
    without Original Sin) and her Virginity (sinless?) are important.

Why one and not the other? Both or neither seems more coherent.
    I am not a Catholic, but as I understand it, the idea is that Jesus got his humanity from Joseph, and his divinity from Mary. Hence Mary also had to be Immaculately Conceived.

But as a Catholic priest once pointed out to me, that doesn't go far enough, since Mary's mother and grandmother, up to Eve, must also then have been IC'ed for Mary to have no "human" DNA.

So the doctrine really doesn't make any sense, but Catholics adhere to it out of tradition rather than logic. Tradition, and what the popes have said over the centuries, looms large in their teachings.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 10:182 edits
    I am not a Catholic, but as I understand it, the idea is that Jesus got his humanity from Joseph, and his divinity from Mary. Hence Mary also had to be Immaculately Conceived.

But as a Catholic priest once pointed out to me, that doesn't go far enough, since Mary's mother and grandmother, up to Eve, must also then have been IC'ed for Mary to have no "hum ...[text shortened]... gic. Tradition, and what the popes have said over the centuries, looms large in their teachings.
    Jesus didn't get anything from Joseph, since Joseph never touched Mary.
    So Mary gave Jesus his humanity, and the Holy Spirit gave Him birth, but
    I'd say since Jesus is, and was the Word of God He already had his
    divinity in His own right. He was and is the Son of God.
  13. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 10:411 edit
    Jesus didn't get anything from Joseph, since Joseph never touched Mary.
    So Mary gave Jesus his humanity, and the Holy Spirit gave Him birth.
    OK, so that screws up my theory.

Why then was the IC believed to be necessary? Do you know?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 12:232 edits
    OK, so that screws up my theory.

Why then was the IC believed to be necessary? Do you know?
    I'm not IC nor have I ever studied their doctrine, I can only imagine that
    they want Jesus not to be even remotely tarnished with the human stain.
    I am guessing, like I said I don't know.
    It is easy to identify with Jesus as God if everything about Him was divine,
    but that takes away from Him being human, which was the point, God
    with us.
    Son of God, Son of man.

I do want to correct something I said earlier too.
    "Joseph never touched Mary"
    Jesus had siblings as in children from Joseph and Mary, so that did happen,
    but not before Jesus was born.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 19:05
    I'm not IC nor have I ever studied their doctrine, Kelly
    So my question is if IC is not necessary for you is the Virgin Birth and why?
    Without IC you must accept Mary had a sinful nature since she had
    Original Sin - her virginity is neither here or there is it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree