1. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 06:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have no particular problem with the expected duration of life that I have. If it turns out to be longer than expected that's also fine.
    And if it turns out to be shorter?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 06:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which caveat?
    I'm suggesting one!
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 06:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So be it.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 06:37
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I'm suggesting one!
    I would describe my caveat as being that the aforementioned immortality is not just living on and on and on but instead involves starting from scratch at various times, repeatedly, so as to recapture or recreate the finite opportunity that a life offers. Having said that, the loss of identity and continuity that this implies makes it unappealing. Like you, I am sure I would cope with the tragedy of outliving my children; I suppose I only mentioned this issue in response to your question about living an extra 50 years etc. Maybe another caveat would be that everyone had access to this elixir?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 06:44
    A related question, perhaps, is what proportion of one's family's wealth would one use to eke out an extra 5, 10, 15, 20 years of life having reached, say, 60 years of age. My spouse and I have discussed this question on occasions without reaching specific formulations and are certainly nowhere near the stage of creating a spreadsheet! It's one of those the-proof-is-in-the-pudding things I suppose. 🙂

Apologies to the moderator if I am committing Thread Drift here! I will desist.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 07:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    So be it.
    So you don't really care how long your life is?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 07:30
    I am enjoying my life immensely. It will end when it ends. I keep myself relatively healthy and avoid unnecessary risks but I don't dwell on how many years this lifestyle will add to it.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 07:51
    A different answer from the same point of view:

While I do not live every day like it's my last [I have some planning and I have as yet unacheived targets and objectives], I do not spend much time contemplating how long my life will last.

Maybe I will when age or health seem set to bring about the inevitable end.

I reckon the whole thing of 'oh dear I died earlier than I wanted' is a fictional lament attributed to an non-existent version of a person looking back on their life the day after they die.

If I die sooner rather than later, my loved ones will have to cope with it in what ever way they can, but it won't matter to me because I will be gone and my narrative will have ended.

While I am happy to be living now and to expect to be living for some time to come, once I die, there will be no regret on my part about how short my life was.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 07:52
    I confess that I think I am involved in some Thread Drift here. 😵
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 08:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    While I am happy to be living now and to expect to be living for some time to come, once I die, there will be no regret on my part about how short my life was.
    There is a distinct difference between whether you will hypothetically regret dying after your death and whether or not you wish to die now or would rather have a long life.
    I think you are trying to hold two contradictory positions: you like living and would not choose to end it sooner than you have to, but you don't want to say so too strongly as doing so would cause you anguish so you feign a lack of concern for your death.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 08:27
    There is a distinct difference between whether you will hypothetically regret dying after your death and whether or not you wish to die now or would rather have a long life.
    I think you are trying to hold two contradictory positions: you like living and would not choose to end it sooner than you have to, but you don't want to say so too strongly as doing so would cause you anguish so you feign a lack of concern for your death.
    I have no desire to end my life. I have faced all manner of adversity at various times in my life but have never once contemplated suicide. I will die when I die. I don't see that I am holding two contradictory positions at all. Nor am I "feigning" anything.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 08:331 edit
    There is a distinct difference between whether you will hypothetically regret dying after your death ...
    What I am saying is that the entire 'regret about how short life was' thing is perhaps something that those who survive us may feel [about our 'untimely' end] but that it is not something that the dead person feels or thinks. If I am not going to be worried about it when I die, and if any worrying about it I were to do while I was alive would be moot (and deleted by death), then there really is no need to dwell upon it. Like I said, I will die when I die. And if you survive me, out of you and me, the only one who will remember this concern/lack of concern that I have will be you. 😉
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 09:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    I will die when I die.
    Taken at face value, that is a totally meaningless sentence. If given a choice, you would wish to die later rather than sooner. Yet you keep implying otherwise.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 09:34
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I've seem most atheists on here come down against immortality but I for one would be tempted!

I think the usual argument against is the boredom/lonliness and eventual madness.

So my conditions would be;
    1. Physical and mental good health for myself and all other immortals.
    2. An infinite supply of artistic materials.
    3. An everlasting deck of cards.
    3. My wife.

I don't subscribe to the view that death gives life meaning.
    "I don't subscribe to the view that death gives life meaning."
    it gives a sense of urgency though.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 09:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]What sorts of conditions or assurances would be necessary or sufficient to make it worthwhile to consume an elixir of immortality?

I nominate CalJust! You don't have to accept of course... any discussion that may ensue... may ensue regardless.[/b]
    1. anonimity
    2. perfect health.
    3. regeneration.
    4. the elixir must be in the form of yearly doses, not "take one dose, have it forever". i want to be able to stop

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree