1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 12:16
    Are the Mormans considered Christian ? The Book Of Morman is a different book than the Bible, but it's considered the Word of God in a new revelation according to Mormons.
  2. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 12:471 edit
    I thought they believed in the new testament, and that the book of
    mormon is an addition.

Funny thing about the book of mormon is how it's been compiled by this
    Joseph from golden plates given to him by an angel. The angel said he
    must never show these plates to anyone, so he kept them in a closed
    box. Believers are allowed to see the box, but not open it. Now, the
    golden plates (if I got this right) is supposedly written 600 pre-christ, by
    prophets from native american cultures, using an Egyptian-style written
    language.

🙄

Sure, they certainly sound like they could be Christians to me.

Addition: And in case you're wondering how Joseph were able to
    translate the text on the golden plates, I believe he had some magic
    stone or something, and when you look through it (or was it hat?) you
    can see the text in plain English.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 12:51
    Originally posted by buckky
    Are the Mormans considered Christian ? The Book Of Morman is a different book than the Bible, but it's considered the Word of God in a new revelation according to Mormons.
    Perhaps they are the true christians. Who can argue against that?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 13:45
    Are the Mormans considered Christian ?
    By whom?
    I certainly consider them Christian, but I expect that many (probably most) non-Mormon Christians either do not consider them Christian or consider them sufficiently different Christians to be as about as likely to get into heaven as an atheist like me or a Muslim would.
    There are of course some Christians who feel that way about just about every denomination other than their own.
  5. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:45
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Perhaps they are the true christians. Who can argue against that?
    That would be wild. Imagine ending up at the pearly gates, and your told that the Mormons were the ones who had the story straight, and everyone else was headed for Hell for not seeing it the Mormon way. The path is narrow leading to Glory, so who knows maybe it's the Mormons.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:51
    That would be wild. Imagine ending up at the pearly gates, and your told that the Mormons were the ones who had the story straight, and everyone else was headed for Hell for not seeing it the Mormon way. The path is narrow leading to Glory, so who knows maybe it's the Mormons.
    Imagine further that it's the moslems who are right. They did also recieve the word of god through a fellow named Mohammed at more or less the same way as Joseph Smith.

So here we stand (some nice day in future) at the pearly gate, beeing sent down if you don't have the right beliefs, or sent further into the gate of San Piedro. Who has the right belief?

Mormons or Moslems? Or perhaps me? Lonesome up there in that case...
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:52
    I think a better question would be, do Mormons consider themselves "Christians"? If so, do Mormons consider others outside of Mormonism "Chrisitians"? I guess I will have to wait till one comes to my door to ask them.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    I guess I will have to wait till one comes to my door to ask them.
    Too lazy to Google it, or simply not interested?
  9. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Imagine further that it's the moslems who are right. They did also recieve the word of god through a fellow named Mohammed at more or less the same way as Joseph Smith.

So here we stand (some nice day in future) at the pearly gate, beeing sent down if you don't have the right beliefs, or sent further into the gate of San Piedro. Who has the right belief?

Mormons or Moslems? Or perhaps me? Lonesome up there in that case...
    Flip a coin. Hope for the best. I hope that there is an after life. The thought of being snuffed out sort of bugs me to say the least. I pray that there is nothing wacked out in my view, but in cosmic relality it's fact. You know the story of the seed not falling on fertile ground? Don't throw pearls before swine? Sometimes I wonder if I could be non fertile ground, and possibly a swine. That would be the #hits.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 02:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Too lazy to Google it, or simply not interested?
    Both actually. What I do know is a lot about the theology and I can't say I agree with it. As for what they decide to call themselves, they can call themselves anything they desire.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 02:48
    The Bible is an interesting book because it is comprised of many authors over thousands of years. No new religions seem to have sprouted from it until the time of Christ. Then all of a sudden you have Christianity, Islam, Mormonism, JW's etc. In fact, the God of the Bible seems to dominate the modern world of religion. So the question begs, why?

As for my view of Islam, Mormonism, and JW's, they all have one thing in common and that is they have all been started by one man who decides to write a Bible all his own. For me it is a red flag. Of course, many would probably argue that Paul did the same in the New Testament, however, Paul did not write all of the New Testament. Also, he was a contemporary of the 12 apostles of Christ and was accepted by them which speaks volumes. The other thing that bothers me is the cult like focus on organizations such as the Mormons and the JW's. I think Christianity and Islam are alike in this regard because there are different sects within their respective religions. After all, the focus should not be the organization, the focus should be God and no one has ALL the answers. As far as one of the reasons why I favor Christianity, there is ample evidence for me that Jesus was the Messiah prophesied to come in the OT. In addition, his teachings draw me in proclaim what I know to be true.
  12. Joined
    26 Jan '09
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 03:05
    Flip a coin. Hope for the best. I hope that there is an after life. The thought of being snuffed out sort of bugs me to say the least. I pray that there is nothing wacked out in my view, but in cosmic relality it's fact. You know the story of the seed not falling on fertile ground? Don't throw pearls before swine? Sometimes I wonder if I could be non fertile ground, and possibly a swine. That would be the #hits.
    There are so many religions claiming what is pretty much "exclusive license from the one and only divine". With so many different views, all saying they are the only way to God, I wonder if God can just poke in and tell us all which one is right before the next "terrorist attack" comes about.

But back to the original topic, Jigtie sums up what I know about the Mormon church in general. Though, I did visit a Mormon church on a Sunday in order to complete an assignment for my world religions class. The congregation there was full of very nice people.

I read that the older copies of the book of Mormon took an interesting account. It said that one of the Mormon prophets back in the 19th century claimed that there was intelligent life on Earth's moon. Somewhere around the time when Apollo 11 landed on the moon, the church quietly revised their text.

^of course, I have not seen a Book of Mormon prove this. Don't take my word for it.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 03:38
    lds state they are non-trinitarian pre-nicene christians. i have read alot about the religion and cannot decide if they are legitimate. they of course don't have to be legitimate to me but only to themselves but i like to read and think about such things. i did see a little joke though in my review. it was a photo of a sign that was anti-mormon and it read something to the effect that it took the scientologists to make the mormons look good.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 05:371 edit
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    lds state they are non-trinitarian pre-nicene christians. i have read alot about the religion and cannot decide if they are legitimate. they of course don't have to be legitimate to me but only to themselves but i like to read and think about such things. i did see a little joke though in my review. it was a photo of a sign that was anti-mormon and it read something to the effect that it took the scientologists to make the mormons look good.
    What makes a religion legitimate?
  15. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 05:55
    Originally posted by whodey
    What makes a religion legitimate?
    Religion literally means: belief in the supernatural, with belief being the
    keyword. Any religion is by that sense legitimate in so far that it's a belief.
    No religion is legitimate in so far that it constitutes some absolute,
    all-encompassing truth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree