1. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 06:05
    For anyone looking for a good introduction to LDS theology, refer to to the episode of South Park entitled "All About the Mormons?".
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 06:571 edit
    Mormons do consider themselves Christian. In their view, the Christian churches went apostate at some point after the resurrection of Jesus and they have established the one church, the "true" church of Latter-Day Saints.

Also:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=98620&page=1#post_1846945
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 10:34
    I use the definition of 'christian': A christian holds John 3:16 as true.
    Do Mormons believe that? Then they as christians. If not, they're not.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 12:561 edit
    mormons do believe in the atonement of the christ for the salvation of man. there view is atypical. they hold that the atonement begins with the visit to the garden at gethsemane and goes thru the trial and then the crucifixion. an atonement over several days. but as to the holding of 3:16 there would be a point of discussion as to "which jesus" they believe did the atonement ( a very long explanation ). to give the mormons their simple view it is the same christ as typically understood but not a christ as one of three inside the trinity and the typical view it is god in the thirdness of the trinity ( himself in another way ). mormons accept a seperate being as christ who is the son of god, who is also a seperate being. this is a very simple way of explaining it.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 12:59
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    mormons do believe in the atonement of the christ for the salvation of man. there view is atypical. they hold that the atonement begins with the visit to the garden at gethsemane and goes thru the trial and then the crucifixion. an atonement over several days. but as to the holding of 3:16 there would be a point of discussion as to "which jesus" they bel ...[text shortened]... is the son of god, who is also a seperate being. this is a very simple way of explaining it.
    So, in short, in your opinion: Mormons are not christians? Or they are...?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 14:08
    putting aside the book of abraham and the king follett discourse and considering only the general authority positions since the time of hinckley and monson i would say they are a christian denomination but not mainline.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 15:272 edits
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    mormons do believe in the atonement of the christ for the salvation of man. there view is atypical. they hold that the atonement begins with the visit to the garden at gethsemane and goes thru the trial and then the crucifixion. an atonement over several days. but as to the holding of 3:16 there would be a point of discussion as to "which jesus" they bel ...[text shortened]... is the son of god, who is also a seperate being. this is a very simple way of explaining it.
    If to be a Christian one must accept Christ as God in the flesh then no, they are not Christian. When I say God, of course I mean the triune being. From what I have read, they readily accept us all as "gods" and, in fact, can become a god just as Christ is. In effect, we could be his equal. Therefore, if the mainline theology is correct and Christ was God in the flesh, that is part of the triune being, then such a theology would be blasphamous.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 15:45
    i would agree that the mormons are not mainline. i would point out though that the idea that all men can become gods is an lds belief. i would say that they call it "progression" ( one can become better ). i find it very uncomfortable that they accept the idea that man can become god ( i believe reform mormonism would hold that man can profress to be "more like god" ). mormons believe that each human has a pre-mortal existence in the spirit, comes into the flesh as a man on this earth, dies and moves to a place in a hierarachy according to their works and beliefs. they believe both god and jesus have gone thru this same progression at one time.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 16:43
    Whether they are Christian or not, I think we can all agree that Mormon beliefs are false and unjustified.
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 17:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    Both actually. What I do know is a lot about the theology and I can't say I agree with it. As for what they decide to call themselves, they can call themselves anything they desire.
    Wow. You sure are an arrogant jerk. You don't know whether they call
    themselves Christian or not (a pretty basic fact) but you know 'a lot about
    the theology' and thus know enough to disagree with it?

I guarantee that you couldn't articulate even some of the most basic
    tenets of Mormon theology.

Nemesio
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 19:38
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    That's really a pretty good definition, though far from the only one.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 20:32
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    That's really a pretty good definition, though far from the only one.
    I asked for a definition in this forum for a while, and this was the best suggenstion.
    Do you have another one? Perhaps a better one?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 21:35
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The Mormons hold all of the Bible to be true.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 22:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Mormons hold all of the Bible to be true.
    the other three books of their canon is the pearl of great price, doctrine and covenants and the book of mormon. all other mormon writings and or speculations are held as valuable but they are not the official doctrine of the church. i do not know if all four are held in equal esteem except that i read that the bible and the book of mormon are considered equal and one is not superior except in the sense that the book of mormon, being a later book and one written to restore original christianity ( as lds understands ) it would probably have more value if one found a conflict in the two books.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 22:252 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Mormons hold all of the Bible to be true.[/b]
    yes, but their own book supersedes it, for example, i was talking with a couple of Mormon missionaries in Glasgow, the host offered us a drink, coffee, tea and and coke if you wanted a soft drink. they refused, when i quizzed them why as i gulped down my fresh out of the fridge coca-cola, they said that Joseph Smith had been given 'direction to do with hot drinks', 'i said this was a cold drink', they stated that it was because it contained caffeine and said that it was a contaminant, as was wine and other stuff, i said incredulously, you never drank wine?, he said no. i said let me see your bible, he had an old version of new world translation printed by the watchtower society, a green version from the nineteen fifties, unfortunately i could not find the verse i was looking for , but here it is,

'For the kingdom of God does not mean eating and drinking, but means righteousness and peace and joy with holy spirit. For he who in this regard slaves for Christ is acceptable to God and has approval with men.', Romans 14:17-18

so because of the adherence to the teachings of Joseph Smith, this has superseded the actual content of the scriptures, in practice, although they hold it in esteem in word.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree