1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 05:25
    Originally posted by Coletti
    That's more like it! Except for Exodus where Moses was trying to get away with murder (literally). The rest are commands from God for acts of war, capital punishment for various crimes like working on Sunday, etc. God was extremely demanding of the Israelites - especially when they we given direct orders and commands. Failure to obey God's direct comma ...[text shortened]... sraelites to wipe out nations. Why not do it himself like Sodom? He could have easily done so.
    He was even more "demanding" of the people He ordered slaughtered.
  2. Not Kansas
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 05:472 edits
    "capital punishment for various crimes like working on Sunday" Coletti

So that's why the neighbours throw rocks at me for cutting the grass on Sunday! Here I thought they all had hangovers from Saturday night and they didn't appreciate my TORO.(Custom riding mower, lowered, chopped, Harley motor, open exhaust, 1000 watt stereo)
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 07:20
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    "capital punishment for various crimes like working on Sunday" Coletti

So that's why the neighbours throw rocks at me for cutting the grass on Sunday! Here I thought they all had hangovers from Saturday night and they didn't appreciate my TORO.(Custom riding mower, lowered, chopped, Harley motor, open exhaust, 1000 watt stereo)
    THAT'S YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! @#$%@$#$@%
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 08:001 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    How can you tell me that they are? There is no logic in your assertion - at least you have not given any.

Have you ever watched a war documentary? Do you think the authors were condoning murder or war, even if they don't come out and ...[text shortened]... ions of any person(s) in the Bible - unless it says so explicitly.
    Book of Joshua
    what they did to the people of the city:
    6:21 And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and
    woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.
    chapter 7 is an entirely different laugher,
    but chapter 8 has the goods :
    8:1 And the LORD said unto Joshua, Fear not, neither be thou dismayed:take all the people of war with thee, and arise, go up to Ai: see, I have given into thy hand the king of Ai, and his people, and his city, and his land: 8:2 And thou shalt do to Ai and her king as thou didst unto Jericho and her king: only the spoil thereof, and the cattle
    thereof, shall ye take for a prey unto yourselves: lay thee an ambush
    for the city behind it.

now explain how Joshua 6:21 and 8:2 doesn't
    say god didnt tell Joshua to kill children.

8:26 For Joshua drew not his hand back, wherewith he stretched out the spear, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai.

5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 08:181 edit
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Book of Joshua
    what they did to the people of the city:
    6:21 And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and
    woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.
    chapter 7 is an entirely ...[text shortened]... r, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai.

chapter 9 is another laugher
    chapter 10 has more goods

10:10 And the LORD discomfited them before Israel, and slew them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, and chased them along the way that goeth up to Bethhoron, and smote them to Azekah, and unto Makkedah.
    10:14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the
    LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for
    Israel.
    10:28 And that day Joshua took Makkedah, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and the king thereof he utterly destroyed, them, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain: and he did to the king of Makkedah as he did unto the king of Jericho.
    10:29 Then Joshua passed from Makkedah, and all Israel with him, unto Libnah, and fought against Libnah: 10:30 And the LORD delivered it also, and the king thereof, into the hand of Israel; and he smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain in it; but did unto the king thereof as he did unto the king of Jericho.
    10:31 And Joshua passed from Libnah, and all Israel with him, unto
    Lachish, and encamped against it, and fought against it: 10:32 And the LORD delivered Lachish into the hand of Israel, which took it on the
    second day, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls
    that were therein, according to all that he had done to Libnah.
    10:34 And from Lachish Joshua passed unto Eglon, and all Israel with
    him; and they encamped against it, and fought against it: 10:35 And
    they took it on that day, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and
    all the souls that were therein he utterly destroyed that day,
    according to all that he had done to Lachish.
    10:38 And Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, to Debir; and
    fought against it: 10:39 And he took it, and the king thereof, and all
    the cities thereof; and they smote them with the edge of the sword,
    and utterly destroyed all the souls that were therein; he left none
    remaining: as he had done to Hebron, so he did to Debir, and to the
    king thereof; as he had done also to Libnah, and to her king.

and if that isn"t enough there's always this

10:40 So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south,
    and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none
    remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of
    Israel commanded.

As the WHO commanded??????????
  6. Copenhagen
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 10:08
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    No1,

There are people who fight a civil war using all kinds of references to events that happened three or four hundred years ago (for instance Northern Ireland, but there are many more instances) and people ask themselves how on earth this is possible. You are prepared to fight over events that happened not hundreds but thousands and thousands of years ago. If they ever happened ..... Give it a rest, No1.

So now some of the things described in the Bible didn't happen? Wouldn't that make it a lie? A lie in the Bible?? But isn't the Bible the word of God? Wouldn't that mean that God lies?!
  7. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 16:401 edit
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    chapter 9 is another laugher
    chapter 10 has more goods

10:10 And the LORD discomfited them before Israel, and slew them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, and chased them along the way that goeth up to Bethhoron, and smote them to Az ...[text shortened]... God of
    Israel commanded.

As the WHO commanded??????????
    I'm not saying that God does not condone war. Maybe my example of the war documentary was confusing.

God does not condone all the events recorded in the Bible, and it is not logical to assert that he does merely because they are recorded therein.

God does condone war as shown by the clear commands God gave and found in the verses that Nyxie referred to.

But "child sexual slavery" is not condoned by God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree