1. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 11:32
    Numbers 31:14-22 (New International Version)

14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army-the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds-who returned from the battle.
    15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them.
    16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people.
    17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man
    18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Discussion starters

1. The above verses demonstrate that Moses followed the ten commandments (discuss).
    2. Does Moses act with God's consent in commanding the army to slaughter any woman who isn't a virgin?
    3. What does Moses mean by "save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man?"
    4. Why does a compassionate God allow innocent children to be subjected to sexual slavery?
  2. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 11:53
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    Numbers 31:14-22 (New International Version)

14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army-the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds-who returned from the battle.
    15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them.
    16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from ...[text shortened]... n?"
    4. Why does a compassionate God allow innocent children to be subjected to sexual slavery?
    Virgins would be integrated into the society of the victor and have children and take care of the things around the home. Non-virgins could be carrying the seed of the vanquished.
    I don’t think it was for sexual slavery.

RTh
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 16:09
    Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
    Virgins would be integrated into the society of the victor and have children and take care of the things around the home. Non-virgins could be carrying the seed of the vanquished.
    I don’t think it was for sexual slavery.

RTh
    This is a ridiculous argument. According to that passage, 32,000 virgin girls were taken captive. Do you suppose that they were all to be kept around to do the dishes and sweep the floors? Pleeeeeeeeeeeze.
    And ask yourself if you were a Midianite girl who just saw your entire family slaughtered (including your parents and baby brothers) how anxious you would be to be "integrated" into Israelite society and bear the killers' children. You would have to be forcefully compelled to do so under pain of death. Sure sounds like "sexual slavery" to me.

BTW, this passage is extensively discussed in the thread "Sickening Bible Stories" on page 12 of this Forum.
  4. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 16:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    This is a ridiculous argument. According to that passage, 32,000 virgin girls were taken captive. Do you suppose that they were all to be kept around to do the dishes and sweep the floors? Pleeeeeeeeeeeze.
    And ask yourself if you were a Midianite girl who just saw your entire family slaughtered (including your parents and baby brothers) how anxi ...[text shortened]... age is extensively discussed in the thread "Sickening Bible Stories" on page 12 of this Forum.
    Really? I guess that I am short of documentation telling of the fate of these girls, I am hoping you may provide me with some.

RTh

5. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 16:53
    The law of Israel specified: "When you go to war against your enemies and take prisoners: if you see a beautiful woman among the prisoners and find her desirable, you may make her your wife and bring her to your home. Should she cease to please you, you will let her go where she wishes, not selling her for money. You are not to make any profit out of her since you have had the use of her.
  6. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 17:00
    The law of Israel specified: "When you go to war against your enemies and take prisoners: if you see a beautiful woman among the prisoners and find her desirable, you may make her your wife and bring her to your home. Should she cease to please you, you will let her go where she wishes, not selling her for money. You are not to make any profit out of her since you have had the use of her.
    Where do you get that? I know that God specifically warned Israel from taking wives from enemies, but that may be on a case-by-case basis. God know that it could lead to corruption - turning the men towards the idols the wives worshiped.
  7. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 17:03
    And ask yourself if you were a Midianite girl who just saw your entire family slaughtered (including your parents and baby brothers) how anxi ...[text shortened]... e forcefully compelled to do so under pain of death. Sure sounds like "sexual slavery" to me..
    Well you have a perverted mind.
  8. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 17:11
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Where do you get that? I know that God specifically warned Israel from taking wives from enemies, but that may be on a case-by-case basis. God know that it could lead to corruption - turning the men towards the idols the wives worshiped.
    Taking wives would be adultery. Unmarried girls are another story.

Where does the bible say to take them and rape them?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 17:20
    Well you have a perverted mind.
    Not perverted enough to think that sticking a sword into an infant is hunkydory, Coletti.
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 18:09
    You're right, it doesn't. It does not imply it nor condone it. Some people have naturally perverted minds and assume it.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 18:38
    You're right, it doesn't. It does not imply it nor condone it. Some people have naturally perverted minds and assume it.
    You're unusually simple minded to believe that a bunch of killers who just slaughtered all the men, non-virgin woman and male children would have moral qualms about raping girls who were "given" to them. And why were only the virgins spared if they were just going to do housework, Coletti? It's take a complete fool to believe that these girls, like others who were enslaved by conquerors weren't raped. The Israelites acted no better than other ancient conquerors; in fact, they were among the most savage.
  12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 19:02
    You're unusually simple minded to believe that a bunch of killers who just slaughtered all the men, non-virgin woman and male children would have moral qualms about raping girls who were "given" to them. And why were only the virgins spared if they were just going to do housework, Coletti? It's take a complete fool to believe that these girl ...[text shortened]... aelites acted no better than other ancient conquerors; in fact, they were among the most savage.
    And by your logic, people who slaughter animals have no qualms about having sex with animals.
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 19:08
    Taking wives would be adultery. Unmarried girls are another story.

Taking women by force is rape , period! even if you call them your wife and release em later.

Maybe the Israelites of Moses time only acted according to customs of the times, but God was said to sanction or even order their atrocities.

If there is anything I am certain of it's Christ could not have been the son of that war-god.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 19:092 edits
    And by your logic, people who slaughter animals have no qualms about having sex with animals.
    Your stupidity knows no bounds. I don't see the meat packers only saving the virgin cattle for later use!
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 19:10
    People that call captured animals their wives might tho.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree