1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 11:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The truth in the Holy Bible and that most doctors believe in God.
    Most doctors in 'U.S' believe in 'a' God, but correct me if I am wrong, is the figure not well below that of the general population. Therefor there may be something about the experience of becoming a doctor that does not sit comfortably with a belief in a God.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 11:23
    And just to emphasis the nation specific nature of those results here is an article that
    mentions the religiosity in UK doctors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11083891
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 11:37
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Most doctors in 'U.S' believe in 'a' God, but correct me if I am wrong, is the figure not well below that of the general population. Therefor there may be something about the experience of becoming a doctor that does not sit comfortably with a belief in a God.
    75% compared to 83% of general population.

But while medicine is science-based, doctors differ from scientists who work primarily in a laboratory setting, and their direct contact with patients in life-and-death situations may explain the differing views, Curlin said.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 11:37
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    yes according to bbc, gallup and aris between 91% and 85% of north americans believe in a god.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 11:38
    Originally posted by CalJust
    YES, and emphatically so, to both your examples.

[b]Most
    by any definition means more than the other alternative, and 51/100 would certainly fulfil that requirement.

I must say I was really surprised when you stated that even 75% was NOT most of anything. [/b]
    Clearly English is different for different people.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think would qualify as most, in your examples of brain surgery or university degrees? 85%? 95%??
    Closer to the 95%, but it is not well defined.
  6. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 11:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead

[b]Just out of curiosity, how much do you think would qualify as most, in your examples of brain surgery or university degrees? 85%? 95%??

Closer to the 95%, but it is not well defined.[/b]
    I agree, this is a curious example on the interpretation of the English language!

Not to labour the point, but I would, just for the sake of personal curiosity, like to know if there is anybody else on RHP that would agree with your interpretation of "most".

95% of anything, on the other hand, would IMO qualify as "almost all of", or "the near-total concensus of .. is .."
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 11:47
    Originally posted by CalJust
    I agree, this is a curious example on the interpretation of the English language!

Not to labour the point, but I would, just for the sake of personal curiosity, like to know if there is anybody else on RHP that would agree with your interpretation of "most".

95% of anything, on the other hand, would IMO qualify as "almost all of", or "the near-total concensus of .. is .."
    I would probably go with >80% = most.

depending on the setting.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 11:54
    Maybe doctors in the U.S. develop a kind of instinct to claim to be religious/theistic so as not damage their prospects of making a living in communities where there are lots of Christians denouncing people for allegedly being influenced or inspired by "Satan".
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 11:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Maybe doctors in the U.S. develop a kind of instinct to claim to be religious/theistic so as not damage their prospects of making a living in communities where there are lots of Christians denouncing people for allegedly being influenced or inspired by "Satan".
    Possibly.

But then you get stuff like this.

http://skepchick.org/2012/04/where-will-you-spend-eternity-my-experience-with-religion-at-the-doctors-office/
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 12:371 edit
    'Most' has subtle variation in meaning depending on context.
    Believe it or not, I once had to go into court on the question of whether 'mainly' meant anything more than 50%, or something higher. It was agreed that more than 50% could be construed as being 'mainly'. Nice to see taxpayers money being well spent.

Although it is not the same word, I think had the word 'most' been used, the same answer would have been given. In fact, the definition I have in my dictionary says that mainly means 'in the most part'.

However, if you asked me to visit 101 houses to collect for charity and asked me "Did you visit most of them?", and I said yes because I had visited 52, then I think I would have told a lie.

Context is all. In this case, I think I would expect around at least 70%.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 20:121 edit

[b]Just out of curiosity, how much do you think would qualify as most, in your examples of brain surgery or university degrees? 85%? 95%??

Closer to the 95%, but it is not well defined.[/b]
    It is clearly defined. Most means greater in number. So out of 3 pencils, with
    2 red and 1 blue, most of the pencils are red because 2 is greater than 1.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree