1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 10:38
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/7078455.stm

Can anybody out there tell me what is the Biblical rationale for allowing two babies to lose their mother in this way?
  2. England
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 10:42
    They take the view not to take anothers blood. Very literaly. others think it means not to kill you decide!
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 10:521 edit
    Originally posted by snowinscotland

Can anybody out there tell me what is the Biblical rationale for allowing two babies to lose their mother in this way?
    Quite simple. If God tells you what you can or cannot do then you follow it whether or not it results in your death (and your children loosing a parent) or even somebody else's death.
    In this particular case, I do not know the exact verses etc but I am sure that the person in question believed that the God had commanded her via the Bible not to accept blood transfusions.
    Some religious people try to follow their religions religiously, others create their religions to suit their own beliefs about morality etc, most do a combination of the two.

You would probably find however that many of the people in a similar situation are acting not because of what they believe God has told them to do but because it is socially unacceptable to do otherwise. ie if she accepted the blood transfusion she would get ex-communicated or some such thing.

The Jehovah's Witness's that I have asked about Blood Transfusions said it had something to do with the belief that the soul is in the blood.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 11:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Quite simple. If God tells you what you can or cannot do then you follow it whether or not it results in your death (and your children loosing a parent) or even somebody else's death.
    In this particular case, I do not know the exact verses etc but I am sure that the person in question believed that the God had commanded her via the Bible not to accept bl ...[text shortened]... Blood Transfusions said it had something to do with the belief that the soul is in the blood.
    Evolution will take care of them.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 11:23
    Originally posted by serigado
    Evolution will take care of them.
    Death due to refusal to take a blood transfusion is not common enough to have that effect.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 12:19
    It just seems such an unnecessary waste of human life!

If she had been unconscious and the medics did what they would probably do normally in order to save her, would it have made any difference to her? Would she have been ex-communicated or whatever?

Specifically, I was looking for anyone who can tell me what the specific verses are that this rationale is based on?
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 12:42
    Death due to refusal to take a blood transfusion is not common enough to have that effect.
    Well, maybe we can induce some world pandemic harmless to those who make a blood transfusion, deadly otherwise?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:05
    Originally posted by snowinscotland

Acts 15:29: 29 that ye abstain from things sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication; from which if ye keep yourselves, it shall be well with you. Fare ye well.

It's her life; if she wants to refuse medical treatment that's her right.
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:09
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Acts 15:29: 29 that ye abstain from things sacrificed to idols, [b]and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication; from which if ye keep yourselves, it shall be well with you. Fare ye well.

It's her life; if she wants to refuse medical treatment that's her right.[/b]
    Is there a right to commit suicide?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:26
    Well, maybe we can induce some world pandemic harmless to those who make a blood transfusion, deadly otherwise?
    What do you have against people not wanting blood transfusions?

I have had a couple of Jehovah's Witness friends and certainly would not wish them dead. Their beliefs are no more irrational than those of members of any other religion and far less harmful than some I could mention.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:36
    Is there a right to commit suicide?
    IMO, yes.
  12. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:45
    What do you have against people not wanting blood transfusions?

I have had a couple of Jehovah's Witness friends and certainly would not wish them dead. Their beliefs are no more irrational than those of members of any other religion and far less harmful than some I could mention.
    I think they should just be talked out of it. It doesn't make sense and if a pandemic like that would happen, what would they do? Die with their belief or adapt? People who can live so fundamentalistically as to put their lives in danger just because they want their own dubious interpretation of the Bible to be right simply freak me out.
    Dying for a dubious interpretation??? Someone should slap them in the face and say "WAKE UP".
    I have nothing against them, by the contrary, I want to help them.
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:46
    IMO, yes.
    Now that's a great debate.
    How about euthanasia?
    Do you have any religious faith?, I'm curious
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:491 edit
    Now that's a great debate.
    How about euthanasia?
    Do you have any religious faith?, I'm curious
    Define "euthanasia".

I'm a non-dualist; whether they rates as a "religious faith" is a matter of opinion (I'd say no).
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:54
    Define "euthanasia".

I'm a non-dualist; whether they rates as a "religious faith" is a matter of opinion.
    euthanasia... hm... medically assisted suicide in special conditions (extreme suffering or illness). I guess... it's my just made up definition of euthanasia.

Well, if you think suicide is a right to everyone, so is euthanasia.

I'm clearly pro-euthanasia. About the right to suicide, it's a little tougher, but I haven't given much thought about it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree