1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    "My notion" is the standard one in the English language.
    Attention all forum members...

Who else here calls a belief held without proof or positive knowledge an opinion?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:421 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Now you're just equivocating, compounding the confusion introduced by the already confused notion. (The quotes and "simply" are a big clue, the same sort of confusion exhibited by phrases like "true Christian".)

Do you think no1's definition is a good one?
    Don't just hint that I'm wrong. Argue why. All you ever say is "You're equivocating", "You're confused", etc, etc. Tell me why I'm equivocated and why I'm confused. Else it's just ad homini and derogatory comments.

I've already listed how you jumped the gun by equating the two propositions that I've highlighted above. You argue that they are equivalent, I argue that they are not. I provided a counter-example. Show me how it's wrong.

And no, I don't think it's the best possible one, but I also disagree with yours (i.e. "a position whose propositional content is subjective" ). I'd rephrase it to "a position whose propositional content is, at least, partially subjective". All I need to add is that incomplete information inserts a degree of subjectivity because different people assign different weights to different parcels of information.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:45
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Don't just hint that I'm wrong. Argue why. All you ever say is "You're equivocating", "You're confused", etc, etc. Tell me why I'm equivocated and why I'm confused. Else it's just ad homini and derogatory comments.

I've already listed how you jumped the gun by equating the two propositions that I've highlighted above. You argue that they are equivalent, I ...[text shortened]... ferent people assign different weights to different parcels of information.
    You're equivocating on your use of the term 'matter of opinion'.

I don't know what you mean by that, or how it is different from the terms '"matter of opinion"', 'simply a matter of opinion', and 'simply a "matter of opinion"'.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:46

Who else here calls a belief held without proof or positive knowledge an opinion?
    At least use the definition provided without disingenously changing it.

Opinion - A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof

Let's imagine a trial where the issue is how fast a car was going before an accident. Plaintiff's expert testifies that based on the skid marks left by the car's tires in his opinion the car was going 60 MPH. Defendant's expert testifies that in his expert opinion the car was going 40 MPH.

According to you, neither is giving an opinion. Yet that is what they are called in thousands of cases every day. Are you right and everybody else is wrong?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:49
    You're equivocating on your use of the term 'matter of opinion'.

I don't know what you mean by that, or how it is different from the terms '"matter of opinion"', 'simply a matter of opinion', and 'simply a "matter of opinion"'.
    Again, a complete lack of substance. Tell me why I'm wrong. Tell me why I'm confused.

Else it's worthless.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:50

According to you, neither is giving an opinion. Yet that is what they are called in thousands of cases every day. Are you right and everybody else is wrong?
    Yes, that's correct. I have a better framework for epistemic analysis, which is one of the reasons I am more intelligent that most people.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:531 edit
    Again, a complete lack of substance. Tell me why I'm wrong. Tell me why I'm confused.

Else it's worthless.
    I just did. You can't throw together a bunch of undefined terms that look like other vaguely defined terms and that resemble the terms of proposition A, perform deduction on those terms (even if it's valid) to reach Not-A, and then claim that you have constructed a counterexample. Your construction is what lacks substance because of its linguistic wiggling.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:54
    Yes, that's correct. I have a better framework for epistemic analysis, which is one of the reasons I am more intelligent that most people.
    Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to remember that next time a case requires an expert's opinion that according to Scribblian analysis there is really no such thing.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:551 edit
    Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to remember that next time a case requires an expert's opinion that according to Scribblian analysis there is really no such thing.
    Thanks, and believe me, you'll be the very first person I run to if I ever forget what an indirect proof is.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:56
    I just did. You can't throw together a bunch of undefined terms that look like other vaguely defined terms and the resemble the terms of proposition A, perform deduction on those terms (even if it's valid) to reach Not-A, and then claim that you have constructed a counterexample. Your construction is what lacks substance because of its linguistic wiggling.
    Again, no substance.

Where do my terms not apply? Why do they not apply? Just stating that they don't doesn't make it so. Unless you tell me with what you don't agree, we can't really have an argument.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:58
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/7078455.stm

Can anybody out there tell me what is the Biblical rationale for allowing two babies to lose their mother in this way?
    Hey. Anyone who wants to take their own lives is perfectly okay with me. Especially if they're religious.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:581 edit
    Again, no substance.

Where do my terms not apply? Why do they not apply? Just stating that they don't doesn't make it so. Unless you tell me with what you don't agree, we can't really have an argument.
    And unless you tell me what the various forms of the terms mean, I don't know what your argument says, but I do know that it resembles other fallacious arguments exhibiting the same symptoms.

Define 'matter of opinion':

Define 'simply a matter of opinion':

Define '"matter of opinion"':

Define 'simply a "matter of opinion"':
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:583 edits

I could.
    For me opinion -> something I think it's true, although I don't have or can't have confirmation, or that simply depends on my judgment and so can't be absolute.
    The difference from opinion to belief is: An opinion no one cares if it's refuted, because by definition I know it depends on my judgment. In a belief, I truly believe something to be true.
    This is only my opinion.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 19:59
    Thanks, and believe me, you'll be the very first person I run to if I ever forget what an indirect proof is.
    I'll come looking for you if I ever forget that "logically equivalent" doesn't mean the "same thing".
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 20:011 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    I could.
    For me opinion -> something I think it's true, although I don't have or can't have confirmation, or that simply depends on my judgment and so can't be absolute.
    I see. So, would you consider "Chocolate ice cream tastes better than vanilla ice cream" an opinion? If so, it it because you haven't confirmed that it is so? Or maybe because you're not absolutely sure about it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree