1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:571 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    euthanasia... hm... medically assisted suicide in special conditions (extreme suffering or illness). I guess... it's my just made up definition of euthanasia.

Well, if you think suicide is a right to everyone, so is euthanasia.

I'm clearly pro-euthanasia. About the right to suicide, it's a little tougher, but I haven't given much thought about it.
    I believe someone has a right to decide whether they should continue their own life or not. I believe their wishes shouldn't be thwarted by others though I don't think that someone is obligated to assist them in carrying out these wishes if it interferes with the second person's moral/religious/philosophical beliefs.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 14:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I believe someone has a right to decide whether they should continue their own life or not. I believe their wishes shouldn't be thwarted by others though I don't think that someone is obligated to assist them in carrying out these wishes if it interferes with the second person's moral/religious/philosophical beliefs.
    I agree, it's consistent.
    But there should be a strong social pressure against that act. Or we would having suicides each time a girl breaks up with a guy.
    In the end, life is the most precious thing we have, and is what defines us. I believe there's no reason to terminate life whatsoever, (unless the terminal cases without hope). It's an act there's no return from. Life is just too beautiful.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 15:13
    Originally posted by serigado
    Is there a right to commit suicide?
    You call refusing treatment suicide?
    Kelly
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 15:22
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    If you know that lack of treatment will get you killed, yes, it's suicide. You may call it passive suicide.
    You consider lack of eating until you die suicide?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 15:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Death due to refusal to take a blood transfusion is not common enough to have that effect.
    Yet. One of these days there will be a nasty disease or something that requires transfusions to live.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:45
    Acts 15:29: 29 that ye abstain from things sacrificed to idols, [b]and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication; from which if ye keep yourselves, it shall be well with you. Fare ye well.

It's her life; if she wants to refuse medical treatment that's her right.[/b]
    It's a close run thing to suicide in my view; would refusing to stem the blood from a wound be 'refusing medical treatment'?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:46
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    It's a close run thing to suicide in my view; would refusing to stem the blood from a wound be 'refusing medical treatment'?
    I suppose; what's your point?
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:48
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    Not simply, no.

E.g., a person who has late-stage cancer with a small % chance of survival who refuses what promises
    to be a long course of painful treatment is not 'suicidal.'

However, a person who refuses benign treatments (e.g., blood transfusions) that will prevent them
    from dying and without which they will die is indeed suicidal.

Nemesio
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:51
    I suppose; what's your point?
    It makes no sense whatsoever - the same person would take aspirin to cure a headache but die from something readily preventable? And the basis is that line of scripture?

We do have a law against suicide, however that is the active taking of life. I suppose someone could pine away to nothing, simply refuse to have the will to live.... But we would tend to think of that person has having something missing (apart from the will to live); It is not sustaining, which we are asked to do repeatedly in the bible.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:53
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Not simply, no.

E.g., a person who has late-stage cancer with a small % chance of survival who refuses what promises
    to be a long course of painful treatment is not 'suicidal.'

However, a person who refuses benign treatments (e.g., blood transfusions) that will prevent them
    from dying and without which they will die is indeed suicidal.

Nemesio
    Surely the intent of person A is to hasten their death while the intent of person B is to comply with their religious tenets even if death results. Person A sounds more "suicidal" to me.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:56
    It makes no sense whatsoever - the same person would take aspirin to cure a headache but die from something readily preventable? And the basis is that line of scripture?

We do have a law against suicide, however that is the active taking of life. I suppose someone could pine away to nothing, simply refuse to have the will to live.... But we would t ...[text shortened]... from the will to live); It is not sustaining, which we are asked to do repeatedly in the bible.
    It makes a lot of sense if you believe that Scripture is the Word of God and that it forbids taking blood.

No one has ever been convicted of committing suicide.
  12. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 18:21
    It makes a lot of sense if you believe that Scripture is the Word of God and that it forbids taking blood.

No one has ever been convicted of committing suicide.
    I suppose it does; but there are a lot of saying in the bible that if you took literally you would a) be very confused and b) be in trouble from the local law;

Also if the passage is read in it's entirety it looks like it is talking about food with blood eg black puddings
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 18:26
    I suppose it does; but there are a lot of saying in the bible that if you took literally you would a) be very confused and b) be in trouble from the local law;

Also if the passage is read in it's entirety it looks like it is talking about food with blood eg black puddings
    You asked for the Biblical passage that is used by the Jehovah's Witnesses (a small group of Christians, not all of whom agree with the prohibition) to support the ban on receiving blood transfusions. Whether they are confused is a matter of opinion and b) seems like an overstatement. However, if one believes that something is required by God it is unlikely that the presence of Man-made law will make them refrain from doing it.

I might very well agree with your interpretation, but I'm not a JW.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 18:27
    Whether they are confused is a matter of opinion
    Surely you don't mean this.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 18:391 edit
    Of course I mean it. And don't call me Shirley.

EDIT: Opinion - A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree