1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 May '14 11:487 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    All the evidence points to death being the end. Grampy Bobby's wishful thinking ~ regardless of how sincere or well-intentioned ~ is not evidence.
    All the evidence points to death being the end. Grampy Bobby's wishful thinking ~ regardless of how sincere or well-intentioned ~ is not evidence.

What about the golden elephant in the middle of the living room of history - Jesus of Nazareth ?

Had He not come, and spoken, and taught, and acted we might all just shrug off any speculation of exception to dying as fantasy.

Since the coming of Christ - A.D. "the year of our Lord" things will never be the same again concerning our expectations of death.

Are you sure you'll close your eyes and oblivion will swallow up all personal identity and existence ? I mean that would be good news for a lot of unbelieving sinners.

In Paul's chapter on resurrection - (1 Cor. 15) he speaks of death as like the planting of a seed. It is far from an end in his mind but a beginning, a doorway to resurrection.

"But if Christ is proclaimed that He has been raised from the dead, how is it that some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, neither has Christ been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then our proclamation is vain; your faith is vain also. And also we are found to be false witnesses of God because we have testified concerning God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if indeed the dead are not raised." (v.12-14) ...

But someone will say, How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come ? (v.35)

You see, even in the church in Corinth there were skeptics with tough questions. Or perhaps Paul was voicing questions that the Corinthian Christians were confronted with by friends and relatives.

"But someone wll say, How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come? Foolish man, what you SOW is not made alive unless it dies." (v.36)

Physical death, Paul says is a sow[ing] like the planting of a seed. And resurrection, for the saved man, is not simply a "coming back" to life. It is intended by God as the sprouting into a whole new sphere of that which has been sown in the earth.

"And what you sow, you do not sow the body that will be, but a bare grain, perhaps of wheat or of some other of the rest. but God gives it a body even as He willed, and to each of the seeds its own body." (vs 36-38)

Millions upon millions of people are now in an intermediate state. But resurrection is coming via the word of Christ. And for the saved this resurrection will be like the sprouting into a new sphere of life from something sown into the ground.

(My point here is [not] how God will deal with each and every case of a dead person.)

Jesus told us not to "marvel" at the fact that as He rose from the dead, by His command all those dead will be raised.

"But do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming in which all in the tombs will hear His voice and will come forth: those who have done good, to the resurrection of life; and those who have practiced evil, to the resurrection of judgment." (John 5:29)

You and I are going to hear His voice and come OUT of the grave or tomb or heap of scattered ashes or whatever we left behind when we died.

Jesus said in effect " Don't marvel at this in astonishment. " So if we think it will not happen, we are setting ourselves up for a bitter disappointment.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 12:02
    Originally posted by sonship

What about the golden elephant in the middle of the living room of history - [b]Jesus of Nazareth
    ? [/b]
    Well I am an ex-Christian so I do not subscribe to Hebrew and Christian mythology and theology. And regardless of how sincere or well-intentioned you are, your certainty about your beliefs is not evidence of death not being the end.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 May '14 12:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I am an ex-Christian so I do not subscribe to Hebrew and Christian mythology and theology. And regardless of how sincere or well-intentioned you are, your certainty about your beliefs is not evidence of death not being the end.
    You assure me that you are an ex-Christian.
    I don't know that.

And regardless how well-intentioned your certainty is about you being an ex-Christian, I don't know that.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 12:22
    You assure me that you are an ex-Christian.
    I don't know that.

And regardless how well-intentioned your certainty is about you being an ex-Christian, I don't know that.
    The fact that you claim you don't "know" whether I'm an ex-Christian does not enhance your credibility as you peddle the things you claim you do "know".
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 May '14 12:362 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    The fact that you claim you [b]don't "know" whether I'm an ex-Christian does not enhance your credibility as you peddle the things you claim you do "know".[/b]
    That's ok. I still don't know that you have a skeptical thinker's "head start" by already once being a Christian.

It just some vague and general disgruntlement with the past. So I guess we're both simply mutually unimpressed.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 12:43
    It just some vague and general disgruntlement with the past.
    Who is it you think is being "vague"? You or me?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 May '14 13:522 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Who is it you think is being "vague"? You or me?
    And now come the question marks.

The answer to this and the next 100 questions you have for me is the same.

No, you will not be forced against your will to receive Christ.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 14:09
    And now come the question marks.

The answer to this and the next 100 questions you have for me is the same.

No, you will not be forced against your will to receive Christ.
    The answer to my questions in the future: I "will not be forced against [my] will to receive Christ". Mmmm. I really don't know what you're on about.

If you're saying you think I am a Christian despite years and years of testimony and evidence to the contrary on this forum, then it is the most peculiar attempted zinger I have seen here in a long time. 😀
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 19:401 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Still no genuine response from you ~ just four repeated posts simply copy pasted from this first page of the thread. All four posts were about my insights or conclusions. Do you yourself have any insights or conclusions relating to what I have posted?
    Originally posted by FMF Still no genuine response from you ~ just four repeated posts simply copy pasted from this first page of the thread. All four posts were about my insights or conclusions. Do you yourself have any insights or conclusions relating to what I have posted?

I replied: "Yes." Your reply to sonship on page two ["Well I am an ex-Christian so I do not subscribe to Hebrew and Christian mythology and theology. And regardless of how sincere or well-intentioned you are, your certainty about your beliefs is not evidence of death not being the end."] confirms my previous "insights or conclusions relating" to what you've posted.

Your own statement confirms that you did wonder about the "unknown we refer to as eternity" and made an earlier decision to believe in the Person of Jesus Christ. At that moment of time the Sealing Ministry of the Holy Spirit authenticated FMF as a Member of Christ's Royal Family. You may choose to disobey scriptural commands to grow in knowledge and to acquire the Mind of Christ by exposing yourself to the systematic teaching of the promises and doctrinal rationales contained in God's Word but are unable to reverse the Holy Spirit's work on your behalf. You and I will continue our conversation in heaven.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 19:47
    Update: Within 24 hours these two pages have received a total of Forty [40] Thumbs Down. Anybody know the reason why?
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    05 May '14 20:551 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Update: Within 24 hours these two pages have received a total of Forty [40] Thumbs Down. Anybody know the reason why?
    You are told daily what is wrong with your posting style.

If you haven't worked it our by now then there is no hope for you.

EDIT: And absolutely what GKR said as well.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    05 May '14 21:25
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    You make a thread title that says "I'm dying...". Even though many here disagree with each other on many subjects, I would think that at the end of the day we all wish the best for everyone. Therefore, when somebody (esp. somebody "of a respectable age" ) writes he's dying, that might come as a bit of a shock.

Then it turns out that the person making the claim was actually just looking for attention, in the absolute lowest possible way. Pretty much by faking his own death.

You are a shameless, attention seeking individual and if I thought for even one second that it might work, I'd propose that everyone put you on a permanent "banned" list and never engage in conversation with you ever again.

Unfortunately, as can be seen in the science forum, for some reason people can't stop responding to trolls, even when it is pointed out that the person is in fact a troll.

Shameless, classless, amoral fvck.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 21:42
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You make a thread title that says "I'm dying...". Even though many here disagree with each other on many subjects, I would think that at the end of the day we all wish the best for everyone. Therefore, when somebody (esp. somebody "of a respectable age" ) writes he's dying, that might come as a bit of a shock.

Then it turns out that the person mak ...[text shortened]... when it is pointed out that the person is in fact a troll.

Shameless, classless, amoral fvck.
    My Friends, I'm Dying... (OP)

And, yes, so are each you... as are our friends and family members. We're all dying gradually and imperceptibly at the rate of one second every minute of every hour of each day. During our waking hours there are only three spheres to think about and reflect on: 1) The past with its memories, fragrant and otherwise; 2) The present with its plans, priorities, expectations and concerns; and 3) The future which will conclude with the event of our physical deaths when our brains cease to function. Only one question: do you give much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?

"Shameless, classless, amoral fvck" mother's son from Boston happens to care about Great King Rat's eternal destination.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 21:43
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You are told daily what is wrong with your posting style.

If you haven't worked it our by now then there is no hope for you.

EDIT: And absolutely what GKR said as well.
    "... one question: do you give much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?"
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 21:47
    Originally posted by CalJust
    As far as I can tell, we are all busy dying at the rate of sixty seconds every minute.

If you are dying at the rate of only one second per minute, that would mean that you will live about sixty times as long as the average lifespan. Congratulations!

But on a more serious note - my more important question to you would be: How much serious thought do YOU ...[text shortened]... e have really clear instructions, i.e. compassion, acceptance of others, caring for the weak....
    Originally posted by CalJust
    "... But on a more serious note - my more important question to you would be: How much serious thought do YOU give to the here-and-now, for which we have really clear instructions, i.e. compassion, acceptance of others, caring for the weak...."

A lot, tangibly expressed each month for the right reason, even thought our primary responsibility as believers is to grow up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree