My Friends, I'm Dying...

My Friends, I'm Dying...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 May 14

My Friends, I'm Dying...

And, yes, so are each you... as are our friends and family members. We're all dying gradually and imperceptibly at the rate of one second every minute of every hour of each day. During our waking hours there are only three spheres to think about and reflect on: 1) The past with its memories, fragrant and otherwise; 2) The present with its plans, priorities, expectations and concerns; and 3) The future which will conclude with the event of our physical deaths when our brains cease to function. Only one question: do you give much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 May 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]My Friends, I'm Dying...

And, yes, so are each you... as are our friends and family members. We're all dying gradually and imperceptibly at the rate of one second every minute of every hour of each day. During our waking hours there are only three spheres to think about and reflect on: 1) The past with its memories, fragrant and otherwise; 2 ...[text shortened]... ive much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?[/b]
Dammit, you had to go and get my hopes up. 😞

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 May 14

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Dammit, you had to go and get my hopes up. 😞
Big DG, thank you for christening an innocent thread focused on the inevitability of death. [0] [4] Any idea why?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 May 14

Big DG, thank you for christening an innocent thread focused on the inevitability of death. [0] [4] Any idea why?
Dem God-haters got nuttin' betta to do den thumb they noses at all things pure.

F

Moves
04 May 14

Only one question: do you give much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?
I have no issue with the fact that I will die one day. It is part and parcel of the human condition and the inevitable conclusion to life. To spend your life telling yourself that you will go on living for eternity in some form or other is your prerogative, but wishing that such a thing is going to happen ~ in the complete absence of any evidence or testimony ~ packaged in some sort of religionist dogma ~ is very much part and parcel of the human condition too.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
05 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
I have no issue with the fact that I will die one day. It is part and parcel of the human condition and the inevitable conclusion to life. To spend your life telling yourself that you will go on living for eternity in some form or other is your prerogative, but wishing that such a thing is going to happen ~ in the complete absence of any evidence or testimony ~ ...[text shortened]... ged in some sort of religionist dogma ~ is very much part and parcel of the human condition too.
Which of the two is true, one wonders.

F

Moves
05 May 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Which of the two is true, one wonders.
All the evidence points to death being the end. Grampy Bobby's wishful thinking ~ regardless of how sincere or well-intentioned ~ is not evidence.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
All the evidence points to death being the end. Grampy Bobby's wishful thinking ~ regardless of how sincere or well-intentioned ~ is not evidence.
"... do you give much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?" (OP)

F

Moves
05 May 14

"... do you give much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?" (OP)
Of course I have given it thought. And I have come to the conclusion that people who tell themselves that they are immortal, like you do, are simply wishing this notion into "existence". You should bear in mind that I have liberated myself ~ after a long drawn out process ~ from the religionist mind set that you personify and the assertions of "eternal life" that you propagate. As soon as you make a convincing case that death is not the end, I will be one of the first to let you know. As soon as you say anything that makes me think God has revealed Himself to you, I will let you know. As soon as you demonstrate how the existence of God should necessarily mean that there is an afterlife, then I will let you know. Your wishful thinking ~ regardless of how sincere or well-intentioned it may be ~ is not evidence of anything other than the human condition.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Of course I have given it thought. And I have come to the conclusion that people who tell themselves that they are immortal, like you do, are simply wishing this notion into "existence". You should bear in mind that I have liberated myself ~ after a long drawn out process ~ from the religionist mind set that you personify and the assertions of "eternal life" tha ...[text shortened]... cere or well-intentioned it may be ~ is not evidence of anything other than the human condition.
Thanks for your reply. The OP, however, is as bare bones as the title of Paul Gauguin's Painting in the Boston Museum: "Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?" No mention of premises or predispositions. It's inquiry.
"... do you give much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?"

F

Moves
05 May 14
1 edit

Thanks for your reply. The OP, however, is as bare bones as the title of Paul Gauguin's Painting in the Boston Museum: "Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?" No mention of premises or predispositions. It's inquiry.
"... do you give much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?"
You are simply sidestepping the content of both my responses to this question so far on this thread. Typing the question once and then copy pasting it twice is not "discussing" something. Both of my responses indicate that I have given the matter "serious thought". 🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
You are simply sidestepping the content of both my responses to this question so far on this thread. Typing the question once and then copy pasting it twice is not "discussing" something. Both of my responses indicate that I have given the matter "serious thought". 🙂
Originally posted by FMF
I have no issue with the fact that I will die one day. It is part and parcel of the human condition and the inevitable conclusion to life. To spend your life telling yourself that you will go on living for eternity in some form or other is your prerogative, but wishing that such a thing is going to happen ~ in the complete absence of any evidence or testimony ~ packaged in some sort of religionist dogma ~ is very much part and parcel of the human condition too.

Originally posted by FMF

Originally posted by FMF
Of course I have given it thought. And I have come to the conclusion that people who tell themselves that they are immortal, like you do, are simply wishing this notion into "existence". You should bear in mind that I have liberated myself ~ after a long drawn out process ~ from the religionist mind set that you personify and the assertions of "eternal life" that you propagate. As soon as you make a convincing case that death is not the end, I will be one of the first to let you know. As soon as you say anything that makes me think God has revealed Himself to you, I will let you know. As soon as you demonstrate how the existence of God should necessarily mean that there is an afterlife, then I will let you know. Your wishful thinking ~ regardless of how sincere or well-intentioned it may be ~ is not evidence of anything other than the human condition.

Originally posted by FMF

"... I have given the matter "serious thought". Any insights or conclusions relating to yourself?

F

Moves
05 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
I have no issue with the fact that I will die one day. It is part and parcel of the human condition and the inevitable conclusion to life. To spend your life telling yourself that you will go on living for eternity in some form or other is your prerogative, but wishing that such a thing is going to happen ~ in the compl ...[text shortened]... ... I have given the matter "serious thought". Any insights or conclusions relating to yourself?
Still no genuine response from you ~ just four repeated posts simply copy pasted from this first page of the thread. All four posts were about my insights or conclusions. Do you yourself have any insights or conclusions relating to what I have posted?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
Still no genuine response from you ~ just four repeated posts simply copy pasted from this first page of the thread. All four posts were about my insights or conclusions. Do you yourself have any insights or conclusions relating to what I have posted?
Yes.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
05 May 14
1 edit

We're all dying gradually and imperceptibly at the rate of one second every minute of every hour of each day.

Only one question: do you give much serious thought to the unknown referred to as "eternity" or do you try to wish it away?
As far as I can tell, we are all busy dying at the rate of sixty seconds every minute.

If you are dying at the rate of only one second per minute, that would mean that you will live about sixty times as long as the average lifespan. Congratulations!

But on a more serious note - my more important question to you would be: How much serious thought do YOU give to the here-and-now, for which we have really clear instructions, i.e. compassion, acceptance of others, caring for the weak....