1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:221 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Why am I not surprised? Nice job knocking your own strawman down.
    Nice job being completely unhelpful regarding the imperative you yourself cited. How are you going to convert me when you can't answer a simple question regarding the syntax of a biblical imperative? RHP needs better proselytizers, I'm afraid. :'(
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You've never actually read the Gospels have you, Darfius? All you've read are cribnotes from a Fundamentalist cult. NOTHING in that passage can be construed the way you stated and Luke 6:37 SPECIFICALLY rejects your assertion that Christians are free to judge and condemn non-Christians. You again seek to deliberately ignore Jesus' direct teachings in order to act in a way He would find shameful. You are no Christian, Darfius.
    As usual, we can no longer speak, no1, because your method of arguing is to scream louder, rather than address facts.

The fact is that Jesus never ONCE says that good works get you into Heaven, but rather you will be JUDGED by your works.

And you misunderstand judgement. It does not give license for the Christian to hold himself in higher regard, but it DOES give him license to offer advice and point out what is wrong.
  3. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:25
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Nice job being completely unhelpful regarding the imperative you yourself cited. How are you going to convert me when you can't answer a simple question regarding the syntax of a biblical imperative? RHP needs better proselytizers, I'm afraid. :'(
    RHP needs less arrogant and spiteful listeners, I'm afraid.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    O.K. I guess we can just make stuff up then about ambiguous imperatives in the bible:

I think the imperative you cite above expresses the proposition 'only judge those judgements that are themselves righteous'. Since judging in this man ...[text shortened]... ess. Hence, this imperative is impossible to follow.

Cheers!
    Ah, but impossible only under your interpretation which you clearly prefaced as being but one of multiple arbitrary interpretations.

I think the imperative cited by Darfius expresses the proposition 'judge all judgments to be righteous,' which is trivial to implement. All judgments, yea an infinitude of them, can be dealt with in one fell swoop - simply declare them all to be righteous and you're done.

Since my interpretation is tractible while yours isn't, I find that all interpretations of the ambiguous imperative are not created equal. Mine must be the correct one, for God would not give an impossible command, would He?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:26
    As usual, we can no longer speak, no1, because your method of arguing is to scream louder, rather than address facts.

The fact is that Jesus never ONCE says that good works get you into Heaven, but rather you will be JUDGED by your works.

And you misunderstand judgement. It does not give license for the Christian to hold himself in higher regard, but it DOES give him license to offer advice and point out what is wrong.
    Matthew 25 in its entirety.
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:27
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Right. So only those 'annointed' by the Holy Ghost may interpret the bible correctly? Well then, what's the point of me reading it if I'm only going to be receiving an unsolvable code of strange alphabetic characters? 🙄
    The point of you reading is that God's Word does not return to Him void. If you read it sincerely searching for answers, He would reveal them to you.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:281 edit
    I tend to think that you're the one covering their ears more often than others.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:30
    The point of you reading is that God's Word does not return to Him void. If you read it sincerely searching for answers, He would reveal them to you.
    Now I have to read the Bible with the specific intention of answering some question to understand it? Can't I just use the brain God gave me to put the words together and deduce their meaning? It works for everything else I read.
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:32
    "Judge not, lest ye be judged"

Poor kid, you have been blinded as to the core of your own faith. I don't hear in your posts any love or kindness or humility. I hear nothing but uneducated zeal. My advice to you: start up a game of chess with Huntingbear. He is the real deal.

Take care,

Bennett
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:34
    It means that only a Christian who is right in her or his walk with God has the right to judge. And this is only done through the discernment given from the Holy Spirit. Of course, we should not make judging a habit, since we all have to appear before the Judgement Seat of God, but at times it is necessary, so people know when they are doing wrong and can correct it.
    Hey, here's a Bible Study Lesson for RBHILL: compare and contrast the arrogant, self-righteousness of this post with John 8:15 where Jesus says:

I judge no man.
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:38
    He was on the road to Damascus.
    Lmao ya got me that time hahahaha
  12. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:41
    Precisely. It's not a matter of looking down one's nose, I don't think I'm better than any of you. It's about giving advice on what the teachings of Christ have to say on the matter.
    We are convicted sinners that have recieved forgiveness. That forgiveness is through the sacrifice that JESUS CHRIST, made on the cross.Before the death of CHRIST, HE taught how and how not to handle judgeing.
    I may be wrong, but I cannot remember any situation where CHRIST pronounced judgement on anythng other then the fig tree. The fig tree that had no fruit when it's creater wanted one.
  13. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:45
    Right. So only those 'annointed' by the Holy Ghost may interpret the bible correctly? Well then, what's the point of me reading it if I'm only going to be receiving an unsolvable code of strange alphabetic characters? 🙄
    THE WORD OF GOD is for all to interrpet. Satan knows full well what it says, in fact he believes it. And he is a condemmed being.
  14. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:48
    Now I have to read the Bible with the specific intention of answering some question to understand it? Can't I just use the brain God gave me to put the words together and deduce their meaning? It works for everything else I read.
    Try letting THE WORD OF GOD, speak for itself. Try letting the HOLY SPIRIT speak.
  15. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:51
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Matthew 25 in its entirety.
    Entirety, eh? OK. Since you are finally willing to look at context, here we go:

25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 25:2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 25:3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 25:4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 25:6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 25:7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 25:8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 25:9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 25:11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. 25:12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Hmm, odd parable if Heaven is an all-inclusive kind of place.

25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents. 25:17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two. 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money. 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine. 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents. 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Uh oh, who's getting cast out? What works were they let in or out with? It appears that one had no faith that he wanted to share, so he was cast out. All-inclusive? Hardly.

25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Wait, everlasting punishment? But according to no1, we all go to Heaven, yay! It appears no1 and Jesus differ here...I'm going to go crazy and take Jesus' word above no1.

Did we all catch that word brethren? Oh no! This is confusing! How do we know who Jesus' brethren are so we can help them! And how do we know who the righteous are!

12:48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? 12:49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

But what exactly is the will of the Father? If only brethren get in, doesn't that mean we have to do the will of the Father??

*Quick aside* 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Uh oh, no1!

3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Any questions?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree