1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 21:06
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    MATTHEW 7:1-5
    There is no rejection of THE WORD OF GOD, just a difference of undrestanding. JESUS clearly gave understanding about judgeing. The understanding of one may not be on the same level of understanding as the other.
    Jesus clearly said in Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, lest ye be judged".
    I'd say He "gave understanding about judging" DON'T DO IT! For you clowns to take these words and those in Luke 6:37 as permission to insult and criticize non-Christians shows your "level of understanding" is zilch.
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 22:39
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'd say He "gave understanding about judging" DON'T DO IT! For you clowns to take these words and those in Luke 6:37 as permission to insult and criticize non-Christians shows your "level of understanding" is zilch.
    1 John 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth
    righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have
    need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleththe love of God in him? 3:18 My little children, let us not love inword, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth

4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every
    one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

note "...everyone that loveth ..." in 4:7
  3. Standard memberUna
    Solacriptura
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 13:00
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Does the term 'righteous' in the above imperative modify the term 'judge' or the term 'judgment'? Are we to judge as righteous those judgments we come across, or are we to judge those judgments that are themselves righteous?
    First of all we must not take a passage out of context. Let us read the scriptures

22 because of this, Moses hath given you the circumcision -- not that it is of Moses, but of the fathers -- and on a sabbath ye circumcise a man;

23 if a man doth receive circumcision on a sabbath that the law of Moses may not be broken, are ye wroth with me that I made a man all whole on a sabbath?

24 judge not according to appearance, but the righteous judgment judge.`

Jesus was being persecuted for healing on the sabbath. He called attention to the law according to the "fathers" not Moses where circumcision was done on the Sabbath. The Jews in this case were not judging correctly, they were judging by the words of the law rather than the spirit.

Jesus said, "judge not, least ye be judged",

Romans 2:1 Therefore, thou art inexcusable, O man -- every one who is judging -- for in that in which thou dost judge the other, thyself thou dost condemn, for the same things thou dost practise who art judging,

Remember these words were spoken to a generation of men whom did not know God nor accept the coming of His Son. Since Jesus had not been crucified yet , He was speaking as an Old Testament Prophet to them.
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 17:28
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You may feel that you are right,but you are not.
    CHRIST clearly said that in the same way that you judge, you will be judged. There knowing this, that I will be judged in the way that I judge others. I need not judge,THE WORD OF GOD is the judge.(period) What THE WORD OF GOD say is the judge.Therefore anyone that is a believer or an unbeliever will be judged by THE WORD OF GOD.(period) Taking a scripture here and a scripture there, and trying to sound like a believer with understanding may not be right. All of mankind will be judged by every word that THE WORD OF GOD has said. Exactly by what it says.(period)
    The question is are you living according to what THE WORD OF GOD says? Have you applied all the teachings that THE WORD OF GOD, teaches? Are you Saved and lIving Saved? Is JESUS CHRIST your Savior? Are you following His example of Love? Or are you following the teachings as you say? It matter not your answer(s) are. For you will be Judged by THE HOLY SPIRIT. Which will between you and THE MOST HIGH GOD.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 17:52
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    You may feel that you are right,but you are not.
    CHRIST clearly said that in the same way that you judge, you will be judged. There knowing this, that I will be judged in the way that I judge others. I need not judge,THE WORD OF GOD is the judge.(period) What THE WORD OF GOD say is the judge.Therefore anyone that is a believer or an unbeliever will be ...[text shortened]... ) are. For you will be Judged by THE HOLY SPIRIT. Which will between you and THE MOST HIGH GOD.
    Good post.🙄
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 23:541 edit
    Originally posted by Una
    First of all we must not take a passage out of context. Let us read the scriptures

22 because of this, Moses hath given you the circumcision -- not that it is of Moses, but of the fathers -- and on a sabbath ye circumcise a man;

23 if ...[text shortened]... ucified yet , He was speaking as an Old Testament Prophet to them.
    Thank you for the clarification, but vistesd has kindly clarified the passage in question back on page three of this thread. According to the information he provided, it appears we should take the imperative to be "judge righteously", and that the translation Darfius originally provided was just poor. Your translation, "righteous judgement judge", is clearly better, and conforms with vistesd's interpretation.

Like No.1 and others in this thread, I'm a bit confused on how we should reconcile the imperative to judge righteously with the Jesus' general prohibition against judging. After all, Jesus himself claimed to judge no man.

Perhaps the Christian could say something like the following:

1. Under no circumstances is it permissible to judge a person qua person. For instance, we ought never judge a person as being damned, or vicious, or...

2. Under some circumstances it is permissible to judge the judgments or actions of a person. For instance, we may judge that this person's judgement that P is itself unjustified, or that this person's action ought not to have been done.

3. As a proviso to (2), it is only permissible for one to judge the judgments or actions of a person if one is himself righteous. In general, one ought tend to one's own faults rather than go about judging the judgments and actions of others, for it is often the case that the faults we see in others will be reflections of faults we ourselves possess.

Is something like this accurate, as far as the scriptural evidence suggests?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree