Myths

Myths

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Oct 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
and you a donkey!
There you go! 😏

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
There you go! 😏
Thanks for the compliment. Since we are just cross posting all over the place here, I thought I might just throw in my two cents... I love it when you guys seem to have no clue 😀

T

Moves
11 Oct 12

Originally posted by divegeester
Do you accept any of the non-evident beliefs and ideologies that exist within Bhuddism?
No, not if they don't appear reasonable, not at all.

I have rational questions and doubts about "merit" ideas, reincarnation, vegetarianism ( as a sole diet). I don't feel a need to label myself as Buddhist, but I find Buddhist philosophy very rational and helpful in understanding what life is about. I think Buddhism in parts of it (not always at all) can be too passive and divorced from life, originating as some of it does from a monk-based culture.

It may appear strange but when they talk about "gods" and "demons" in some forms of Buddhism (Tantric) I don't have any problems with that, because they openly state they are not literally "real" but a visual means of for some people to understand the deeper aspect of Buddhism and to help themselves to develop. Its a sort of use of myth. Myth is not a lie, but more a poetic and imaginal way of approaching the greater mysteries of existence.

Where I think it is more expansive than Christianity is that it sees all of life connected and part of a whole, rather than "us" against "them". And I like its non-violence. It has generally a much more peaceful (and longer) history than Christianity. I believe there is even a way of approaching Christianity in a Buddhist type manner, if one accepts the use of myth. In that way, the mythic Christ is seen as means to realize the Buddha-Christ within us all.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Oct 12

Originally posted by Taoman
No, not if they don't appear reasonable, not at all.

I have rational questions and doubts about "merit" ideas, reincarnation, vegetarianism ( as a sole diet). I don't feel a need to label myself as Buddhist, but I find Buddhist philosophy very rational and helpful in understanding what life is about. I think Buddhism in parts of it (not always at all) can ...[text shortened]... y, the mythic Christ is seen as means to realize the Buddha-Christ within us all.
Pretty much.

You cant help but think that the theories about Jesus being taught from eastern sources seems to have some weight from 2 aspects (off the top of my head ).

1. non violence, befriending enemies. This seems to be a revolutionary concept to this day with a lot of Christians, whereas it was a firmly entrenched tenet of eastern mysticism (Buddhism) , for centuries.

2. There is a large gap in Jesus' life (20 years? ) , where (from my thinking), he had learnt somethings from someone (I gather), which seems to have empowered him to do all those very sympathetic and compassionate teaching that he emerged with in the last 3 years of his life.

(I know I've brought this up before, but the Christians on here really didn't have any real good answers as to where JC had gone for those missing years. Heck , maybe he just ran into a travelling monk who saw JC's potential and decided to fine-tune his method. Not a complete success, but not a dismal failure either. )

Maryland

Moves
12 Oct 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
and you a donkey!
A donkey is more in tune with reality than a theist.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Oct 12

Originally posted by divegeester
Do you accept any of the non-evident beliefs and ideologies that exist within Bhuddism?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

Let's wrestle that 'h' into its correct place. 🙂

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
12 Oct 12
2 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

Let's wrestle that 'h' into its correct place. 🙂
NEIN!!! you veel spell ze verds properly! uzzervise...
*pointing Luger*
...you veel be shot!!!

T

Moves
12 Oct 12

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Pretty much.

You cant help but think that the theories about Jesus being taught from eastern sources seems to have some weight from 2 aspects (off the top of my head ).

1. non violence, befriending enemies. This seems to be a revolutionary concept to this day with a lot of Christians, whereas it was a firmly entrenched tenet of eastern mysticism ( ...[text shortened]... decided to fine-tune his method. Not a complete success, but not a dismal failure either. )
On the basis of what we have, none of us really know with certainty this Jeshua, who has been legendised. Even the missing years - I don't know now (once thought I did) whether that happened or not, or whether it was just a gap in a story. Its like connect the dots and the dots can be connected ten different ways.

All of us who have been brought up in a Christian society have deep cultural attachment to these stories and almost automatically accept them as true basically, even if we are not believers. Non-believers even talk as from New Testament "facts" (not objective and not clear and unsupported elsewhere) to argue their case. None really know what the facts were, just a vague set of blurry stories, sometimes saying one thing and other times saying something different and then during the next century it blows up into gnostic type god-man "Saviour" myth in the end.

My sketch of who and what I think he was is probably the Jesus I also want to see and put together, just as much as your version.

Choose your Jesus. Which is what Buddhists do with their Tantric imaginal deities.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Oct 12

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Pretty much.

1. non violence, befriending enemies. This seems to be a revolutionary concept to this day with a lot of Christians, whereas it was a firmly entrenched tenet of eastern mysticism ( ...[text shortened]... decided to fine-tune his method. Not a complete success, but not a dismal failure either. )
Jesus never learned anything from Buddhism. 😏

T

Moves
13 Oct 12

Pity.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Oct 12

Originally posted by Taoman
Pity.
What do you mean? Don't you realize Buddhism is a false religion?

Maryland

Moves
13 Oct 12

What do you mean? Don't you realize Buddhism is a false religion?
All religions are false! If you are a Christian, your religion is also absurd!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Oct 12

Jesus had no use for a valueless "religion of the self".

T

Moves
13 Oct 12
4 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
Jesus had no use for a valueless "religion of the self".
"And after school they stuck their tongue out as far as they could stick them, then yelled, "Nah, nah, na, nanah" at every passer-by."

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Oct 12

The Buddha would have been pleased