1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 08:05
    Originally posted by David C
    You seem to be full of "just one questions".

Willingness to die for a belief is in no way a confirmation that the belief is a universal truth. If it was, all the Islamic martyrs would lead to the conclusion that Allah is the truth and the way and the light, and praise be to him. At best, it's a ad populum fallacy.
    I hope you realise the difference between a genuine martyr who is burned at the stake because he will not renounce his faith, and a suicide bomber who blows himself and others up because of he is wants his 70 virgins in Heaven.

For everything genuine there is a counterfeit.
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 08:181 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    I hope you realise the difference between a genuine martyr who is burned at the stake because he will not renounce his faith, and a suicide bomber who blows himself and others up because of he is wants his 70 virgins in Heaven.

For everything genuine there is a counterfeit.
    I hope you realise the difference between a valid argument and a logical fallacy, though I won't hold my breath. I also hope you realise the difference between your ignorance of the motivations of modern day terrorists and the propaganda you've been spoonfed.

Let me try to simplify it using your own context: Your Crispy Christian believed everything he was told about the Christian god. He was willing to die for this belief. OK. The Exploded Arab believed everything he was told about Allah, and was also willing to die (in a different manner) safe in the knowledge that he would be eternally in the company of Allah.

Neither of these is anywhere close to a sufficient argument for the claim that either God or Allah exists, sorry.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 08:25
    I hope you realise the difference between a valid argument and a logical fallacy, though I won't hold my breath. I also hope you realise the difference between your ignorance of the motivations of modern day terrorists and the propaganda you've been spoonfed.

Let me try to simplify it using your own context: Your Crispy Christian believed everything he wa ...[text shortened]... anywhere close to a sufficient argument for the claim that either God or Allah exists, sorry.
    I hope you realise that I wasn't trying to prove that God or Allah exists. 🙂

I was actually simply asking Scotty what he would do if he were given the choice of being burnt at the stake or renouncing the Spaghetti man.

He answered my question by evading it.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 08:59

I was actually simply asking Scotty what he would do if he were given the choice of being burnt at the stake or renouncing the Spaghetti man.

Yeah, you were. In your own, special way.

The inference being: if a man is willing to die for his belief in God or the FSM, then....what? Please see above.

The unmitigated gall! I wonder where he learned that kind of thing.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 09:041 edit
    Are you going to answer the question? Probably not.
    Look, I've pointed this out before - no true believer of the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER has ever died. It's really not a sensible question. True believers in the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER are clearly incapable of death. It's kinda like asking 'would you sdfjklbiubejndflihnvuil for your god?' We both know that sdfjklbiubejndflihnvuil is impossible, and even if you were asked, you wouldn't be able to.

[edit; why is it that you Christians are so fixated with death anyway? What's wrong with a good, healthy fixation on life anyway?]
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 09:07

I didn't evade it. I just haven't been online to post my rebuttal. My answer still stands though.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 09:11
    [b]I hope you realise that I wasn't trying to prove that God or Allah exists. 🙂

The inference being: if a man is willing to die for his belief in God or th ...[text shortened]... stion by evading it.[/b]

The unmitigated gall! I wonder where he learned that kind of thing.[/b]

Gee. I'm happy you can read thoughts. 😏

Yet somehow you still doubt the supernatural. 😞

The unmitigated gall! I wonder where he learned that kind of thing.

My guess is as good as yours.😛
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 09:191 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Look, I've pointed this out before - no true believer of the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER has ever died. It's really not a sensible question. True believers in the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER are clearly incapable of death. It's kinda like asking 'would you sdfjklbiubejndflihnvuil for your god?' We both know that sdfjklbiubejndflihnvuil is impossible, and o fixated with death anyway? What's wrong with a good, healthy fixation on life anyway?]
    Look, I've pointed this out before - no true believer of the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER has ever died.

So basically as I have pointed out to you before you have just been able to prove that no true believers in the spaghetti man exist, due to the fact that no human being has reached immortality.

[edit; why is it that you Christians are so fixated with death anyway?

Philippians 1:21- "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. "

What's wrong with a good, healthy fixation on life anyway?]

Nothing. Christians believe it can only be achieved in Christ.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 10:03
    [b]Look, I've pointed this out before - no true believer of the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER has ever died.

So basically as I have pointed out to you before you have just been able to prove that no true believers in the spaghetti man exist, due to the fact that no human being has reached immortality.

[edit; why is it that you Christians are so fi ...[text shortened]... ation on life anyway?]

Nothing. Christians believe it can only be achieved in Christ.[/b]
    "So basically as I have pointed out to you before you have just been able to prove that no true believers in the spaghetti man exist, due to the fact that no human being has reached immortality."

Aren't you the one who's always telling me you cannot prove a negative?
  10. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 10:05
    Yet somehow you still doubt the supernatural. 😞
    Only your version of it, I'm afraid. 😴
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 11:221 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    "So basically as I have pointed out to you before you have just been able to prove that no true believers in the spaghetti man exist, due to the fact that no human being has reached immortality."

Are you going to bring on the proof that humans are immortal?

Until you do I will remain skeptical of the your statement. 😀

Your statement that "real believers in the macaroni man never die" only holds water once you have proved there is an immortal human being. Once you have done this you conclusively have to prove that the reason he never died was because he believed in the macaroni man.

But I'm afaid even if you've done this, no one will buy your story. 😞
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 11:23
    Only your version of it, I'm afraid. 😴
    Let's hear your version.😏
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 03:39
    [b]Aren't you the one who's always telling me you cannot prove a negative?

Are you going to bring on the proof that humans are immortal?

Until you do I will remain skeptical of the your statement. 😀

Your statement that "real believers in the macaroni man never die" only holds water once you have proved there is an immortal human being. Once ...[text shortened]... e macaroni man.

But I'm afaid even if you've done this, no one will buy your story. 😞[/b]
    well, i guess we're at an impasse. I feel no need to prove that any given human is immortal, and that doesn't matter to me - i know the truth. You can stick with your wimpy, pansy, winey, 13-year old with braces, in need of a hug/kick, god (see, I find it insulting when you refer to the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER as the 'macaroni man' or 'spaghetti man', you ignorant little bible-basher). I would say that you are just as unable to prove your god, but, in fact, you're less able to prove it. I could (theoretically) commit genocide in order to try and prove my claim, although it still may not come to fruition; it is possible that there exists no-one strong in belief enough to achieve immortality. That STILL doesn't prove me wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree