New Iowa Abortion Law

New Iowa Abortion Law

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
03 May 18

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43978510

Abortions are still legal in Iowa but some conservative objections to abortions have been incorporated into stricter criteria and regulations. [Please correct me if that summary is off-target.]

Does this represent a reasonable compromise in a country where, broadly speaking - among women - 37% think it should be generally available, 37% think it should be available but with stricter limits than now, and 24% think it should not be permitted? [I got these stats from wiki; again correct me if you think they are wide of the mark.]

Moves
03 May 18

Originally posted by @fmf

Abortions are still legal in Iowa but some conservative objections to abortions have been incorporated into stricter criteria and regulations. [Please correct me if that summary is off-target.]

Does this represent a reasonable compromise in a country where, broadly speaking - among women - 37% think it shou ...[text shortened]... rmitted? [I got these stats from wiki; again correct me if you think they are wide of the mark.]
Not sure I can deal with the topics of capital punishment and abortion in the same day.

F

Moves
03 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Not sure I can deal with the topics of capital punishment and abortion in the same day.
And there was me, about to bump the threads about child sex abuse, and fear of death to the top of the page. 😕

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 May 18

Does this represent a reasonable compromise in a country where, broadly speaking - among women - 37% think it shou ...[text shortened]... rmitted? [I got these stats from wiki; again correct me if you think they are wide of the mark.]
A reasonable compromise?

This bill would restrict lawful abortions to approx. the first six weeks, which is before many women even know they're pregnant.

This is almost an outright ban on abortion in Iowa. So much for women's rights. No, this is not reasonable. My guess is that it will be found unconstitutional and a clear violation of Roe v. Wade.

F

Moves
04 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @suzianne
This bill would restrict lawful abortions to approx. the first six weeks, which is before many women even know they're pregnant.
But surely it's possible to test for pregnancy within six weeks of having had sex at a time when the woman was likely to get pregnant? As far as I know, a pregnancy is generally detectable 25 days after ovulation by ultrasound. That's about three weeks. A pregnancy test can detect hCG hormone in urine or blood after implantation. This occurs on average within the range of 6-12 days after fertilization. That's two weeks at most. What exactly is your objection to six weeks?

F

Moves
04 May 18

A reasonable compromise?
How many weeks would be a reasonable compromise?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 May 18

A reasonable compromise?

This is almost an outright ban on abortion in Iowa. So much for women's rights. No, this is not reasonable. My guess is that it will be found unconstitutional and a clear violation of Roe v. Wade.
Even left-wing abortion supporters think the Roe vs. Wade decision was terrible Constitutional law. It’ll never be repealed, though.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 May 18

But surely it's possible to test for pregnancy within six weeks of having had sex at a time when the woman was likely to get pregnant? As far as I know, a pregnancy is generally detectable 25 days after ovulation by ultrasound. That's about three weeks. A pregnancy test can detect hCG hormone in urine or blood after implantation. This occurs on average within t ...[text shortened]... days after fertilization. That's two weeks at most. What exactly is your objection to six weeks?
However, the fact is that the Iowa law demands that they attempt to detect a fetal heartbeat and deny the procedure if one is detected. This is why I said approx. 6 weeks. This is too early for most of the women who would be in the position of the decision to make a fully informed decision.

The purpose of this bill is simply to deny women the right to an abortion under Roe v. Wade. This is why I feel it will be decided unconstitutional, but not before they've gotten their 15 minutes of fame from the law.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 May 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
Even left-wing abortion supporters think the Roe vs. Wade decision was terrible Constitutional law. It’ll never be repealed, though.
I'm a "liberal" and I disagree. That decision was a watershed moment in women's rights in America.

F

Moves
04 May 18

However, the fact is that the Iowa law demands that they attempt to detect a fetal heartbeat and deny the procedure if one is detected. This is why I said approx. 6 weeks. This is too early for most of the women who would be in the position of the decision to make a fully informed decision.
So what would you propose as the number of weeks of pregnancy ~ after which abortion should be illegal ~ that you think would be a reasonable compromise in the circumstances?

F

Moves
04 May 18

I'm a "liberal" and I disagree. That decision [Roe vs. Wade] was a watershed moment in women's rights in America.
What is the Biblical basis for your opinion about abortions rights as they are laid out in Roe vs Wade?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 May 18

I'm a "liberal" and I disagree. That decision was a watershed moment in women's rights in America.
What do you think of a couple who aborts female babies in the first trimester because they want a son? Do you think that’s Ok?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 May 18

I suppose a woman taking birth control or getting her boyfriend to buy condoms is too much of an inconvenience.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 May 18
1 edit

What is the Biblical basis for your opinion about abortions rights as they are laid out in Roe vs Wade?
You know as well as I do, that abortion is not mentioned in the Bible.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 May 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
I suppose a woman taking birth control or getting her boyfriend to buy condoms is too much of an inconvenience.
Excuse me?

Tell that to the Roman Catholic Church.