1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 11:10
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You want to stay in high school forever, be my guest.
    That's what I'll be doing with my life...
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 11:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Is that nirvana? Or samadhi? Are they the same?
    It's awareness😵
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 19:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg

Sorry about that.

Anyway, assuming death is simply the ceasing to exist, a popular atheist view...

both are eternal oneness with the universe...loss of ego...loss of desire...loss of suffering...

Is death the Nirvana so many seek in life through meditation?

EDIT - Is it possible that whatever ...[text shortened]... one not designed - another one, like this one, that evolved? A sort of alien reincarnation?
    Nirvana is nothing. It doesn't exist. It's just a word used to describe something no one knows anything about, but like to give the impression they do.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 23:15
    Originally posted by josephw
    Nirvana is nothing. It doesn't exist. It's just a word used to describe something no one knows anything about, but like to give the impression they do.
    Sounds like God.
  5. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 23:20
    Sounds like God.
    maybe it sounds like you
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 06:46
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You're not doing it right.
    Death is the sessation of suffering-Bring it on, we live in a black hole and I'm on the team that wants to turn this hole into a white one.😵

My pc is in the shop and the "comic book guy"-(Simpsons), is fixing it so I hope he goes easy on the doghnuts and fixes it pronto. Alas ,I know you will miss me during my hiatus.

Rest assured ,I will be back, hopefully better ans stronger and more beautiful. I hope you all are too. Peace to all🙂
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 06:50
    Lots of people know about Nirvana.
    Complete Enlightenmant is called satori. A glimpse is called a satori experience. Those who have had a satori experience would have some idea of what Nirvana would be like, although , I will admit , most attempts at trying to communicate this experience is very difficult.
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 11:57
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Lots of people know about Nirvana.
    Complete Enlightenmant is called satori. A glimpse is called a satori experience. Those who have had a satori experience would have some idea of what Nirvana would be like, although , I will admit , most attempts at trying to communicate this experience is very difficult.
    Why is it “very difficult”? It’s crystal clear: Nirvana is “the cessation of desire/ cessation of wish/ cessation of hatred/ cessation of delusion”. The existence of whatever is not manifested/ born/ grown is given, because if we could not refer to it we would remain unable to “escape” from whatever is manifested/ born/ grown. In fact we are able to “escape” from an agent that is manifested/ born/ grown because the existence of another condition (in which this agent does not exist) is validated.

Nirvana is explained by means of terms of “cessation”, and this is the reason why many people think that it is related with “negativity” and/ or “self-destruction”. Methinks it’s false to describe Nirvana by means of dualism, for this kind of “escape” stands beyond that relativity. “Braking free” (achieving Nirvana, that is), means that we have escape from a manifested/ born/ grown/ given agent that was blocking us. Therefore Nirvana is the Ultimate Freedom, the “breaking free” from every agent that keeps us hooked on miscellaneous negativities, hooked on desire, hooked on hatred and ignorance, hooked on dualism
    😵
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 13:57
    Sounds like God.
    Nirvana is an idea. God is a person.
  10. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 18:32
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Methinks it’s false to describe Nirvana by means of dualism
    It's also fairly hard to describe out of such dualistic outlining. Polarities are simply habits of the mind that we associate things with (good, bad, suffering, pleasure) when it's all a grey blur between them. I think that's why there such an emphasis on conditioned genesis and cause and effect in schools emphasizing nirvana. You realize that all things in existence are simply out of rise from each other (the qualities we denote things to have are so because of their relative position to another thing; suffering is simply the lack of pleasure and vice versa and give rise to each other) and it provides a somewhat more clear context of nirvana - holding nothing will allow nothing else to rise
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 19:37
    Nirvana is an idea. God is a person.
    Nirvana is an idea about a state of being. God is an idea of a person.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 07:57
    Why is it “very difficult”? It’s crystal clear: Nirvana is “the cessation of desire/ cessation of wish/ cessation of hatred/ cessation of delusion”. The existence of whatever is not manifested/ born/ grown is given, because if we could not refer to it we would remain unable to “escape” from whatever is manifested/ born/ grown. In fact we are able to “es ...[text shortened]... cellaneous negativities, hooked on desire, hooked on hatred and ignorance, hooked on dualism
    😵
    How about "very difficult to describe accurately"?

After all there is much we disagree on and even common words like "dog" or "rain" the agreement is minor.

How would you communicate to someone the eternal bliss of Nirvana? Like this-😵 ?
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 08:12
    Originally posted by ua41
    It's also fairly hard to describe out of such dualistic outlining. Polarities are simply habits of the mind that we associate things with (good, bad, suffering, pleasure) when it's all a grey blur between them. I think that's why there such an emphasis on conditioned genesis and cause and effect in schools emphasizing nirvana. You realize that all things in exi ...[text shortened]... es a somewhat more clear context of nirvana - holding nothing will allow nothing else to rise
    The schools emphasising in nirvana have a simple target: the meditator wants to elevate to the arahant level and there to remain. But the next level of the way is beyond the ability of the arahant. You cannot find the way outside of your self. So the attitude "holding nothing will allow nothing to rise" still creates karma, and as such is a product of a specific modification of the mind. Methinks this is the reason why dualism fails when one tries to describe nirvana. So you have to bring it on, on your own.

You know that all return to One; can you tell me where the One returns?
    😵
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 08:20
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    How about "very difficult to describe accurately"?

After all there is much we disagree on and even common words like "dog" or "rain" the agreement is minor.

How would you communicate to someone the eternal bliss of Nirvana? Like this-😵 ?
    I do not feel the need to communicate such a thing. I am sure every person can bring it on, on her/ his own. And you can see it too, for its lower level is satori.

However I already communicated it to you. I told you:
    -- "Nirvana is the Ultimate Freedom, the “breaking free” from every agent that keeps us hooked on miscellaneous negativities, hooked on desire, hooked on hatred and ignorance, hooked on dualism"

So, what exactly you cannot understand regarding the ...eternal bliss of nirvana?
    😵
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 09:19
    I do not feel the need to communicate such a thing. I am sure every person can bring it on, on her/ his own. And you can see it too, for its lower level is satori.

However I already communicated it to you. I told you:
    -- "Nirvana is the Ultimate Freedom, the “breaking free” from every agent that keeps us hooked on miscellaneous negativities, hooked ...[text shortened]... lism"

So, what exactly you cannot understand regarding the ...eternal bliss of nirvana?
    😵
    Oh I understand you fine. And if we were one on one I would bow and about face but, as I have mentioned before, this is a public forum.

As regards to "communicating such a thing" is there not a thing called "transmission of samadhi"? Or some such thing? Like when an enlightened person "transmits" or "communicates" the understanding they have attained to an unelnightened one?
    I think the vast majority of Zen literature is made up of such stories,no?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree