1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 09:38
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Oh I understand you fine. And if we were one on one I would bow and about face but, as I have mentioned before, this is a public forum.

As regards to "communicating such a thing" is there not a thing called "transmission of samadhi"? Or some such thing? Like when an enlightened person "transmits" or "communicates" the understanding they have attained ...[text shortened]... ghtened one?
    I think the vast majority of Zen literature is made up of such stories,no?
    Yes; in our Zennist tradition we are using mainly objects😵
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 13:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Nirvana is an idea about a state of being. God is an idea of a person.
    Nirvana is an idea of a state of being based on self delusion.

God IS.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 15:27
    Originally posted by josephw
    Nirvana is an idea of a state of being based on self delusion.

God IS.
    Or perhaps...

God is a being based on a state of self-delusion. Nirvana IS.

Many posts in this forum deliver opinion in the guise of fact, don't they?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 16:05
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Or perhaps...

God is a being based on a state of self-delusion. Nirvana IS.

Many posts in this forum deliver opinion in the guise of fact, don't they?
    yes they do
  5. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 17:161 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    The schools emphasising in nirvana have a simple target: the meditator wants to elevate to the arahant level and there to remain. But the next level of the way is beyond the ability of the arahant. You cannot find the way outside of your self. So the attitude "holding nothing will allow nothing to rise" still creates karma, and as such is a product of a ...[text shortened]... n, on your own.

You know that all return to One; can you tell me where the One returns?
    😵
    And with Zen there's definitely a focus on not worrying about holding that attitude- how can wanting to achieve nirvana actually get you there if you're holding onto expectations and desires to reach it? It's kind of a catch 22 and when Buddhism adapts the more naturalistic and animistic ideals of Shintoism and Confucianism it almost tries to alleviate this stress.
    Basically we trap ourselves in our pursuit for our goal (in this example, nirvana) and that's just an inherent nature and that in itself is part of nirvana because we are doing things unforced (wu-wei?). It's you working the way you are.
    I think the directive in these schools is a constant progression- become more aware and aligned with your found morality and continue to grow. And I also think that you're paradise and hell is all in front of you and it's how you manipulate the things around you (perspectives and actions) to highlight it.

Edit: Referring to your last question- And i don't hold that as a preoccupation of mine to wonder where one will return to. I can't know and so there's no point in going on anything beyond skeptical speculation. After all, this is an issue people will hold distaste in their hearts amongst each other and wage war
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 18:53
    Originally posted by ua41
    And with Zen there's definitely a focus on not worrying about holding that attitude- how can wanting to achieve nirvana actually get you there if you're holding onto expectations and desires to reach it? It's kind of a catch 22 and when Buddhism adapts the more naturalistic and animistic ideals of Shintoism and Confucianism it almost tries to alleviate this str ...[text shortened]... is an issue people will hold distaste in their hearts amongst each other and wage war
    Yeah what he said..anyway there is no "One", there is only" Zero"-and thats just not found on any radar.
    But in the Zen tradition of answering pointless,absurd questions , one may well think the ol' Beastie was trying to clear our minds,no?
  7. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 18:56
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yeah what he said..anyway there is no "One", there is only" Zero"-and thats just not found on any radar.
    But in the Zen tradition of answering pointless,absurd questions , one may well think the ol' Beastie was trying to clear our minds,no?
    True. Reminds me of koans 🙂
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 22:32
    Gong an😵

That child of a noble family karoly azcel
    and
    That child of a noble family ua41
    Two full, perfect cups!😵
  9. Joined
    23 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 19:37
    If Nirvana was death, it could be attained much easier than a life of meditation, devotion, spirituality, and discipline. No way.
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 19:52
    Originally posted by Mguy81
    If Nirvana was death, it could be attained much easier than a life of meditation, devotion, spirituality, and discipline. No way.
    Not while you're still alive. Unless you're a vampire or summat.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 May '10 00:50
    Originally posted by Mguy81
    Its refferred to as a "white death"-ie. death of the ego- not the death of the body.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree