1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 16:171 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    There is no God. There is only the common wisdom and intelligence of humanity.
    We must forget all forms of religion and work together as one human family using common sense and logic for a better more peaceful prosperous world. Religion only breeds hatred, war and division.

Religion is only a con to raise money for certain elite groups of co ...[text shortened]... use our skills together as one to make a better peaceful world. And no I am not a communist.
    Well you know "G"od doesn't exist and so do I; however to tear theists away from the honey-coated nipple of delusion they've been suckling on so contentedly their whole lives will take, I fear, a little bit more effort than just a series of assertions.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 16:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    empirical evidence for no god nil, the misuse of science and technology has brought the planet to
    the brink of destruction and here you are foaming about logic and common sense,
    when will you realise that our problems are spiritual in nature. Khmer rouge were
    atheists and killed more than a million people in their attempt to establish an atheistic
    state, are you denying the fact?
    "empirical evidence for no god nil,"

That depends on how the god is defined. But yes, there is no empirical evidence of the nonexistence of the god envisioned by the major rationalistic religions (Nonrationalistic religions have no problem coexisting with disproof).

That this is so, is due to the fact that as soon as some bit of undeniable empirical evidence comes up that calls into question the existence or the biography of a god, that god is redefined accordingly as needed to keep it from going poof. There is historical evidence of this much. So surviving gods are shape shifters.

Of course none of the above disproves that there is a real god behind the imagination's current god. Our approximations may in fact be coming closer and closer to the truth. For this, the skeptics can be thanked.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 16:22
    Originally posted by JS357
    "empirical evidence for no god nil,"

That depends on how the god is defined. But yes, there is no empirical evidence of the nonexistence of the god envisioned by the major rationalistic religions (Nonrationalistic religions have no problem coexisting with disproof).

That this is so, is due to the fact that as soon as some bit of undeniable empirical evid ...[text shortened]... may in fact be coming closer and closer to the truth. For this, the skeptics can be thanked.
    Any god who's validity is contingent on the existence of souls and/or the afterlife is in
    direct contradiction with the pretty conclusive evidence that no such things as souls or
    an afterlife exists.
  4. e4
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 16:24
    "Religion only breeds hatred, war and division. "

Replace 'only' with 'can' and I agree.

All religious organisations do a lot a good and mean well.
    Yes there are those that take it too far and use it as means of
    gaining power and corruption.
    It's usually why other religions start, the old one got too corrupt.

But they do bring comfort, food, medicine and hope to a lot of
    people who need it.

No religion? I'm not sure it would make much difference.
    We are homo sapians, we are we are.
    The most violent and greedy breed of creature this planet has ever seen.

We also kill for land, for money....for anything.
    We hunt and kill animals for sport.

We are total freaks of nature. There is nothing like us anywhere in the Universe.
    That is why these aliens types keeping popping up every now then.

It's spaceships full of intergalatic toursists who have paid good money
    just to watch us killing each other.

This also explains why they are so elusive.
    They know very well will what will happen to them if we ever our hands on one.

Alien joke:

Q: How many humans does it take to change a light bulb.

A: Two. One to change the bulb and one to kill him because now he can see him.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 17:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its such a thoroughly spiritually myopic vision, how are you going to eradicate greed
    and corruption in this Godless utopia, you have not said. How many people have
    religions killed in comparison to the non religious, again, you have not said and for the
    record, i have not advocated my religion, nor my political stance.
    I thought your political stance was to not have any and to avoid it at all costs.

Ronald (Jesus) Hinds
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 17:10
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You mean like capitalism?
    Liberalism is more like it.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 17:25
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You claiming something does not make it true.

The reason I mentioned belief in an afterlife is that is one of the hallmarks and
    requirements of a religion.

Science isn't a religion because it includes no gods and no belief in an afterlife.
    (apart from all the other reasons it's not a religion)

Science includes no 'acts of faith' and claiming ...[text shortened]... e to continue to make yourself look stupid by claiming otherwise, it only helps my argument.
    I think he means the false religion of the atheists, who appeal to science to support their evolution doctrine of life and creation without the need for God. 😏

Ronald (Jesus) Hinds
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 17:411 edit
    Any god who's validity is contingent on the existence of souls and/or the afterlife is in
    direct contradiction with the pretty conclusive evidence that no such things as souls or
    an afterlife exists.
    I think there is evidence that such things as souls and an afterlife exists. The near death experience of many, during our times, have testimonies of the persons being above and out of their body and seeing what was being done to them while they were in the hospital and then being swept off toward a brillant light and to a peaceful heavenly place before returning to the body. Sometimes the place is not a paradise or heaven, but a hell instead.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 18:24
    Well what about pantheism?

Is it any more true?

Any more evidentially justified?

Does it help promote rational evidence based thinking or faith based belief?

Does it help with moral judgments in any way shape or form?

Does it have any scientific or explanatory value?

Is it in any way shape or form useful?

No, then it's a pointless waste of time, and encourages dangerous sloppy thinking.
    It's neither more true, nor less. It's a different way of relating to things. Instead of viewing the earth in a reductionist fashion as a mere collection of resources to be exploited, it highlights the interconnectedness and interdependence of all things and views the earth, as the source of all life, as an object of reverence. Science informs us of the mechanistic workings of the universe, but it is neutral on how we should relate to it. None of the raw data is changed, but our relationship with that data, and the uses we make of it, would be profoundly altered. In that sense, it would be extremely useful in helping us in avoiding an ecological cataclysm and building a sustainable future.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 19:58
    We must forget all forms of religion and work together as one human family using common sense and logic for a better more peaceful prosperous world. Religion only breeds hatred, war and division.

Religion is only a con to raise money for certain elite groups of co ...[text shortened]... use our skills together as one to make a better peaceful world. And no I am not a communist.
    Yeah, I can go with that!!

Like I say, "God" is often just the best word to explain something better. Of course there is no actual "overlord being" whose whims carry our fates. Thats just silly.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 20:03
    Well what about pantheism?

Is it any more true?

Any more evidentially justified?

Does it help promote rational evidence based thinking or faith based belief?

Does it help with moral judgments in any way shape or form?

Does it have any scientific or explanatory value?

Is it in any way shape or form useful?

No, then it's a pointless waste of time, and encourages dangerous sloppy thinking.
    "Sloppy thinking" comes from all over, religious and non religious backgrounds alike.
    I dont see how pantheism or Buddhism for that matter should encourage sloppy thinking. Let 'em have their gods if they want 'em. That should be a non issue with atheists .
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 22:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I thought your political stance was to not have any and to avoid it at all costs.

Ronald (Jesus) Hinds
    Ronald Jesus Hinds, lol, that made me laugh! we know you as Jonah Hinds 🙂
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 15:28
    You claiming something does not make it true.
    I wish you would remember this when you claim there is no God.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 15:30
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Liberalism is more like it.
    No, I said capitalism, and I meant capitalism, the religion of Greed.

The closest thing we in the US have to a state-sponsored religion.
  15. Joined
    18 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 15:323 edits

Most assume a divine intervention and divine principals that stand above all nature. These unfortunately have been tarnished by organised religions and man’s interpretation of messiah’s over time. Thus when one finds a flaw in one religions, they assume immediately that all other divine doctrines are measured within the same disciplines which is not the case. Dualism became a character of western civilisation in order to determine what can be experimentally observed (by 5 sense) and this inevitably included the spirit . By separating the spirit from matter the model of western philosophy was born. A chap called Bertrand Russell put it like this:

“The combination of mathematics and theology, which began with Pythagoras, characterized religion philosophy in Greece, in the middle ages and in modern times down to Kant.....In Plato, St Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Descartes, Spinoza and Leibniz there is an intimate blending of religion and reasoning, of moral aspiration with logical admiration of what is timeless, which comes from Pythagoras and distinguishes the intellectualized theology of Europe from the straight forward mysticism of Asia”

I quote Newton (from his work titled Opticks) “ It seems probable to me that God in the beginning formed matter in solid, massy, hard, impenetrable, movable particles, of such sizes and figures, and with such other properties, and in such proportion to space, as most conduced to the end for which he formed them; and that these primitive particles being solids, are incomparably harder than any porous bodies compounded of them; even so very hard, as never to wear or break in pieces; no ordinary power being able to divide what God himself made one in the first creation”

Now this is not a wishy washy religious view whatsoever. You can conjecture as much as you like and debate what we perceive to determined as fact but nothing really changes. ALMOST EVERY REPUTABLE SCIENTISTS you can refer to, whose was at the top of their ‘class’ and discipline in the end submitted to a divine [power but not all of them submitted or converted into organised religions! Most scientist work on hidden realities of the World and universe. They are moving from one point to another in diversity; they satisfy their own curiosity. It is no way near any authorization to pronounce the unknown in command. God is infinite power and everything else is its enclosure, so whether someone tries to prove makes no difference to HIS overall Authenticity. One exception Professor idiotic and extremist Dawkins! “In the beginning (if there was such a thing), God created Newton’s laws of motion together with the necessary masses and forces. This is all; everything beyond this follows from the development of appropriate mathematical methods by means of deduction. — Albert Einstein”

There are so many quotes. Of course this doesn’t make them right or wrong but I find it very amusing when people who don’t believe in God try to oppose it with Science. Which, when they get their teeth into usually makes them blush or simply admit to the fact that there is a divine power at work that some just choose to call God!

Me, well I cannot define my belief of God on a thread. However, Think of the smallest thing, well the atom may come to mind, the word atom come from the Greek word atomos (which means indivisible or un-cuttable). No we managed to cut that, so we found particles and a nucleus etc.....we then cut than and found the particle zoo as well as up/down quarks. Well my point being, we have kept on cutting to a point where our technologies just couldn’t cut further but through conjecture and mathematics the likes of Peter Higgs added to the standard model of physics which enabled us to in theory, write a language which explained everything in nature (but gravity) but even then it was not the ‘theory for everything’ or the grand design (as Hawkins puts it). So we, in mathematical terms discovered string theory, we then found 5 complete string theories which didn’t violate any laws of thermodynamics or motion (albeit classical or modern physics). So eventually got M-Theory (combination of the five) [aka matrix theory]. When looking into the theories (and without going into the math) we found that a Planck length (the time it takes light to cross a plank length which is 1.616199(97)×10−35 m) was made up of strings. This gave us string theory. Now these strings oscillate and vibrate according the 2nd law of motion and they also force negative and positive balance. When People ‘empty’ their minds they in fact become one with nature without thoughts of manmade interference ( to think without words). Through meditation some will find that if they can unify and work in harmony with the strings that vibrate – fact is some do this through prayer too.

As for multiverse theory, I don’t believe there is a God that is only ever present in our universe because of our laws - as our laws break down rapidly beyond 6 dimensions. I don’t believe in a man in a white beard whatsoever. I believe God to be a source of light that is in everything and is not subject to the laws of physics as the laws of physics are only a matter of a language created in order to explain nature absolutely that can relate to our composure of mind in the 3rd dimension. Anyway, this is only my humble opinion and am happy to discuss further but not on this thread s I hardly visit it email me if you like aduggalios@yahoo.co.uk

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree