1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 17:08
    Originally posted by nonamesleftatall
    Most assume a divine intervention and divine principals that stand above all nature. These unfortunately have been tarnished by organised religions and man’s interpretation of messiah’s over time. Thus when one finds a flaw in one religions, they assume immediately that all other divine doctrines are measured within the same disciplines which is not ...[text shortened]... s further but not on this thread s I hardly visit it email me if you like aduggalios@yahoo.co.uk
    My take is this: I cannot out of hand deny the possible existence of a god, since I am after all only human and limited to what I can see, feel, touch and imagine.

But it seems clear to me there are too many organized religions to ever have been formulated by a god, too much religious fighting that a concerned god would allow.

With that in mind my working assumption is, granting the existence of a god, it is strictly hands off and we are fully in charge of our fate, whether leading to a new god hood or our extinction, it is in our hands.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 20:333 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No, I said capitalism, and I meant capitalism, the religion of Greed.

The closest thing we in the US have to a state-sponsored religion.
    http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/conservative-vs-liberal-beliefs/

Capitalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

Liberalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism

Social liberalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_liberalism
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 23:021 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/conservative-vs-liberal-beliefs/

Capitalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

Liberalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism

Social liberalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_liberalism
    I don't need a poli-sci primer.

And I definitely don't need a washed-out version of the righteousness of capitalist greed, or a hateful condemnation of liberalism. And I really, really don't need a "wikipedia-walk-thru".

I think the question here is a version of WWJD?

He certainly would NOT be a capitalist. Period.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 23:071 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Well you know "G"od doesn't exist and so do I; however to tear theists away from the honey-coated nipple of delusion they've been suckling on so contentedly their whole lives will take, I fear, a little bit more effort than just a series of assertions.
    Thank God. 😉
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 23:09
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Any god who's validity is contingent on the existence of souls and/or the afterlife is in
    direct contradiction with the pretty conclusive evidence that no such things as souls or
    an afterlife exists.
    How can you possibly have "conclusive evidence" when the conclusion this evidence points you to is wrong?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 01:511 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    There is no God. There is only the common wisdom and intelligence of humanity.
    We must forget all forms of religion and work together as one human family using common sense and logic for a better more peaceful prosperous world. Religion only breeds hatred, war and division.

Religion is only a con to raise money for certain elite groups of co ...[text shortened]... use our skills together as one to make a better peaceful world. And no I am not a communist.
    God help us, not another one. 😲

Edit: I'll give you 1 point out of 10 for not being a communist. 😵
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 02:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    God help us, not another one. 😲

Edit: I'll give you 1 point out of 10 for not being a communist. 😵
    When he is telling the real truth?
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 03:352 edits
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    There is no God. There is only the common wisdom and intelligence of humanity.
    We must forget all forms of religion and work together as one human family using common sense and logic for a better more peaceful prosperous world. Religion only breeds hatred, war and division.

Religion is only a con to raise money for certain elite groups of co ...[text shortened]... use our skills together as one to make a better peaceful world. And no I am not a communist.
    There are easier ways to con people out of their money. No need to spend over 3,000 years putting together a near 800,000-word book.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 03:39
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What if you had a religion without a god?
    Like yours?
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 05:28
    I don't need a poli-sci primer.

And I definitely don't need a washed-out version of the righteousness of capitalist greed, or a hateful condemnation of liberalism. And I really, really don't need a "wikipedia-walk-thru".

I think the question here is a version of WWJD?

He certainly would NOT be a capitalist. Period.
    Opinions are not facts. 😏
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 07:401 edit
    How can you possibly have "conclusive evidence" when the conclusion this evidence points you to is wrong?
    Good point!

I know that the world is flat.

So called "conclusive evidence" to the contrary is therefore false.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 09:081 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Good point!

I [b]know
    that the world is flat.

So called "conclusive evidence" to the contrary is therefore false.[/b]
    I agree that by any reasonable definition of "know", one should expect you know the world is flat. However, it could well be the case that all your memories are false, the physics said to describe the earth and universe is in error, and no one is talking about this (at least to you), because they are all involved in some big conspiracy to deceive you into thinking the earth is not flat. As such it is not impossible that conclusive evidence to the contrary could be brought forth.

Incidentally the above case, as outlandish as it seems, is way more likely than the proposition "G"od exists is true.
    We know many things for which we lack a definite proof; in my case, in full control of my senses and quite rational in this instance at least, the absurd abrahamic god of the Bible not being a thing that exists happens to be one of them.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 10:31
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Like yours?
    Kelly
    Well, I've given the example of pantheism. While the universe (or the earth) may be thought of as "god", there is no transcendent god that stands apart from the universe, or who is the creator of the universe. They would be one and the same.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 11:00
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Well, I've given the example of pantheism. While the universe (or the earth) may be thought of as "god", there is no transcendent god that stands apart from the universe, or who is the creator of the universe. They would be one and the same.
    Spoken like a true believer.
    Kelly
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 11:47
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Spoken like a true believer.
    Kelly
    As everything that comprises "god" would be accessible to the senses, there would be no need for "faith", and thus the term "true believer" would be largely unnecessary. In a pantheistic worldview, there would be no supernatural element.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree