No need to be like Christ ?

No need to be like Christ ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
31 Aug 16

Originally posted by chaney3
in my opinion, you cannot discuss drinking alcohol without also discussing the ensuing actions that may take place.
But we have discussed the ensuing immoral actions that may take place. We have agreed (I think) that those immoral actions [that may take place] are immoral actions [if they do in fact take place. In my opinion, you cannot characterize drinking alcohol - or indeed being drunk - as being an immoral act simply because in some people it sometimes may lead to immoral acts.

That would be like asserting that marriage is, in and of itself, morally unsound because it leads to adultery, domestic violence, marital rape, mental cruelty, neglect of children, and so on, and that the morality of a person getting married cannot be separated from those immoral acts.

Your attitude towards the morality of alcohol consumption is a recipe for the proscription of something of which you disapprove and with which you have a personal substance abuse with problem with. This is not a sound way to formulate and propose moral standards

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
31 Aug 16

We have also agreed that Jesus drank alcohol in moderation and here is no evidence that he subscribe to nor promoted alcohol abuse.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
31 Aug 16

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Alcohol was prohibited for a while and marijuana became illegal because it threatened the cotton industry. That's why all those reefer madness films were made, nothing to do with the actual effects.

Like I mentioned before, not one death recorded resulting directly from marijuana use
There is strong evidence between the use of marijuana and mental health problems. (In some people). There are also links between mental health problems and suicide, so you could argue that marijuana has caused indirect deaths.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
31 Aug 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
There is strong evidence between the use of marijuana and mental health problems. (In some people). There are also links between mental health problems and suicide, so you could argue that marijuana has caused indirect deaths.
I had a very close friend who, several years ago, lost his good mental health through smoking strong marijuana.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
31 Aug 16

Originally posted by divegeester
I had a very close friend who, several years ago, lost his good mental health through smoking strong marijuana.
Sadly many people have suffered the same fate. (Sorry to hear about your friend).

Of course, some people can smoke marijuana and not suffer any long term damage, even when smoked regularly, but there does seem to be a significant percentage of the population that have adverse consequences for their mental health,in particular schizophrenia and issues around hallucinations and hearing voices (even when the smoking has stopped). Personally, I suspect these people were predisposed to mental health issues and that marijuana acted as a trigger. (Like an egg with a hairline crack given a whack).

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 Aug 16

Originally posted by chaney3
I'm really not sure how to reply to your post, except to say that smoking weed may not be equal to alcohol with regards to the effect on the brain, but certainly it must be bad to have the smoke inhaled into the lungs.....right? Any studies on
that?

Edit: I will add that you have clearly defended and rationalized your personal 'drug of choice'.
Yes smoke is bad.
That , of course has nothing to do with THC, which can be ingested in other ways

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 Aug 16

There is also a strong link between marijuana use and good health. Physical and mental.
As always "one size does not fit all"

Some have labelled weed "god's drug". When it takes potentially threatening people and makes them slow down a bit without becoming habit-forming, I can see why.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 Aug 16

Sadly many people have suffered the same fate. (Sorry to hear about your friend).

Of course, some people can smoke marijuana and not suffer any long term damage, even when smoked regularly, but there does seem to be a significant percentage of the population that have adverse consequences for their mental health,in particular schizophrenia and iss ...[text shortened]... issues and that marijuana acted as a trigger. (Like an egg with a hairline crack given a whack).
I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Weed has helped.
Some have had adverse effects, no doubt.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
01 Sep 16

I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Weed has helped.
Some have had adverse effects, no doubt.
Sorry to hear that. Did the weed smoking begin before or after the diagnosis?

rc

Moves
01 Sep 16
2 edits

There is also a strong link between marijuana use and good health. Physical and mental.
As always "one size does not fit all"

Some have labelled weed "god's drug". When it takes potentially threatening people and makes them slow down a bit without becoming habit-forming, I can see why.
dude i used to smoke weed, copious amounts of weed, skunk weed, been to the coffee shops of Amsterdam and eaten space cake, everything and I don't believe there was any health benefits. I used to be a labourer, digging holes in the ground with a pick axe and a shovel, for builders, farmers etc very physical work, one spliff and that shovel weighed ten tons! How is it that you are saying it has health benefits?

F

Moves
01 Sep 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
dude i used to smoke weed [ ...] How is it that you are saying it has health benefits?
23 Medical Uses Of Marijuana
http://www.businessinsider.co.id/health-benefits-of-medical-marijuana-2014-4/?r=US&IR=T#uULZ18jyzLxJT0dY.97

25 HEALTH BENEFITS OF MARIJUANA
https://www.greenrushdaily.com/2016/05/20/health-benefits-of-marijuana/

7 really surprising health benefits from smoking cannabis
http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/07/7-really-surprising-health-benefits-from-smoking-cannabis-5738619/

Health Benefits of Cannabis Essential Oil
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/cannabis-essential-oil.html

20 Medical Benefits of Marijuana You Probably Never Knew
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/20-medical-benefits-marijuana-you-probably-never-knew.html

Medical Marijuana 101
https://www.medicaljane.com/category/cannabis-classroom/#medical-marijuana-101

It's an interesting topic.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
01 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
23 Medical Uses Of Marijuana
http://www.businessinsider.co.id/health-benefits-of-medical-marijuana-2014-4/?r=US&IR=T#uULZ18jyzLxJT0dY.97

25 HEALTH BENEFITS OF MARIJUANA
https://www.greenrushdaily.com/2016/05/20/health-benefits-of-marijuana/

7 really surprising health benefits from smoking cannabis
http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/07/7-really-surprising-health ...[text shortened]... medicaljane.com/category/cannabis-classroom/#medical-marijuana-101

It's an interesting topic.
Yes, there are many claims of health benefits for marijuana, especially around pain management etc. (Can even be prescribed I believe in certain cases).

That said, the risk to mental health would seem to outweigh any possible health benefit.

F

Moves
01 Sep 16

That said, the risk to mental health would seem to outweigh any possible health benefit.
I would leave the choice to the person undergoing chemotherapy or suffering from glaucoma or other illnesses. The risk to mental health is not as convincingly documented as its efficacy in pain management is.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
01 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
I would leave the choice to the person undergoing chemotherapy or suffering from glaucoma or other illnesses. The risk to mental health is not as convincingly documented as its efficacy in pain management is.
Yes, the choice is for the individual to make, though hopefully with professional advice. (And for some managing pain will understandably be the higher priority).

As for the risk to mental health, it is my working experience (20 + years in this field) that marijuana is a major problem, greatly underestimated. When you work with something day in and day out patterns become apparent and i've lost count of clients who's psychosis started (or can be traced back to) experimentation with cannabis or similar drugs. There are of course other causes for mental health issues (some unknown) but I am in no doubt that mind altering drugs, for some people, have long term consequences, and that symptoms which are temporary for some (racing thoughts, paranoia, hallucinations) do not abate in others, even when the drug is out of their system.

And even where marijuana isn't the cause of psychosis, it's use thereafter is much more likely to aggravate a mental health condition then be of any calming benefit.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Sep 16

Sorry to hear that. Did the weed smoking begin before or after the diagnosis?
Yes.
There are so many varying conditions that get the blanket of "schizophrenia" thrown on them. Some others I can relate to, others not.