No need to be like Christ ?

No need to be like Christ ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Sep 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
dude i used to smoke weed, copious amounts of weed, skunk weed, been to the coffee shops of Amsterdam and eaten space cake, everything and I don't believe there was any health benefits. I used to be a labourer, digging holes in the ground with a pick axe and a shovel, for builders, farmers etc very physical work, one spliff and that shovel weighed ten tons! How is it that you are saying it has health benefits?
My ultra-conservative state of Queensland has green lighted trials for cancer patients and some others to try medical marijuana. Clearly there must be some benefits or there is no way they would do that.

"one spliff and that shovel weighed ten tons! " Lol!...what about the Rasta's Robbie? They work all day and smoke all day... well some of 'em do.

Your post is hopelessly inadequate and only serves to show that one size does not fit all

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Sep 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Yes, the choice is for the individual to make, though hopefully with professional advice. (And for some managing pain will understandably be the higher priority).

As for the risk to mental health, it is my working experience (20 + years in this field) that marijuana is a major problem, greatly underestimated. When you work with something day in an ...[text shortened]... after is much more likely to aggravate a mental health condition then be of any calming benefit.
Alcohol and tobacco are major problems as well.

Either legalize it or prohibit that other stuff. It doesnt' make sense to have weed illegal and not tobacco and alcohol.

F

Moves
02 Sep 16

As for the risk to mental health, it is my working experience (20 + years in this field) that marijuana is a major problem, greatly underestimated. When you work with something day in and day out patterns become apparent and i've lost count of clients who's psychosis started (or can be traced back to) experimentation with cannabis or similar drugs.
How many hundreds of thousands of people who use cannabis ~ and yet don't have mental problems ~ pass through your office day in and day out? None, I take it, as you only deal with people who have mental health issues and, as you appear to concede, even with those cannabis users you meet who suffer mental illness, you can't necessarily establish a causative link between the two.

One could just as easily contend that, in the eyes of someone who spends his working days with people suffering mental health problems, that the extent to which it can be used successfully for pain management (for instance) might well be greatly underestimated (or even downplayed) especially in weighing the relative risks and benefits in a holistic way.

If a person came to you to ask your advice about using cannabis to manage pain caused by chemotherapy (as well as guarding against heart damage, and combatting nausea, vomiting, and heart arrhythmia), what would you say to them was the percentage chance that they were going to end up suffering psychosis? One in ten? Three in ten? Eight in ten? Or is it - in fact - far, far less than one in ten?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
02 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
How many hundreds of thousands of people who use cannabis ~ and yet don't have mental problems ~ pass through your office day in and day out? None, I take it, as you only deal with people who have mental health issues and, as you appear to concede, even with those cannabis users you meet who suffer mental illness, you can't necessarily establish a causative link ...[text shortened]... sis? One in ten? Three in ten? Eight in ten? Or is it - in fact - far, far less than one in ten?
No idea what the odds are of cannabis having an adverse and long term effect (affect?) on a person's mental health. It's a lottery.

Personally, i'd rather not buy a ticket.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
02 Sep 16

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Alcohol and tobacco are major problems as well.

Either legalize it or prohibit that other stuff. It doesnt' make sense to have weed illegal and not tobacco and alcohol.
Abuse of alcohol can certainly be detrimental as well to a person's mental health. (Korsakoff syndrome to name just one).

The problem with weed is that you don't really know what you are smoking, or if you are one of those unfortunate people that will be severely affected by smoking it. (You will only know that retrospectively after the damage has been done).

F

Moves
02 Sep 16

No idea what the odds are of cannabis having an adverse and long term effect (affect?) on a person's mental health. It's a lottery.

Well if you have no idea what the odds are, then I'm not sure what the substance of your risk assessment is, nor how you designate it a "major" problem. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
02 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
Well if you have no idea what the odds are, then I'm not sure what the substance of your risk assessment is, nor how you designate it a "major" problem. ๐Ÿ˜‰
I work with people who struggle with mental health problems. I see first hand the effects drug use can have on their mental health. Why wouldn't that be sufficient for me to risk assess or designate it a major problem?

Am I saying 'all' people who smoke cannabis (or more worryingly skunk) will develop schizophrenia? Clearly not.- Am I (professionally) certain that 'some' people are predisposed to be severely affected? Absolutely.

Why do the odds matter? - I have no idea what the odds are of a loaded gun going off if you put it in your mouth, but still risk assess it as a major problem, due to the significant damage that can be done.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
02 Sep 16
2 edits

The arguement that not enough research , especially on long term users, is limited is bunk. There is an enourmous amount of research , one notable one done in India about 100 years ago on about 100 000 cases. Suffice to say that no notable problems were found, and this and other reports were ignored. Scientists went on pumping thc into rats to see how much it would take to kill them .After some huge dose apparently the rat drowned, Thc seems not to have played a part.

This insistence that we don't know enough about weed in propaganda.
As for the mental side of it, there is some traction that some people get psychosis , but you don't here of the flip side which is people like me who who get helped with mental stuff by thc. i think there is a huge difference if you have no weed in your system and then you have a smoke. "After 6 months of no weed I tried some. It 'rocked' my world." (quote from friend)
Regurlar uses have a build up of thc in their system so the effects are much different with 'relaxing', or a relaxed state being the dominant effect for regular users.

F

Moves
03 Sep 16

Why do the odds matter? - I have no idea what the odds are of a loaded gun going off if you put it in your mouth, but still risk assess it as a major problem, due to the significant damage that can be done.
I get that you work with people with mental health problems and therefore see the effects that drug use can have on their mental health. The operative word, though, is "can".

Why do the odds matter? Well, because "the odds" are what risk assessments boil down to.

There were people saying that avian influenza here in Indonesia was a "major" problem, causing a "significant" threat. The people saying this were, of course, the 'experts in avian influenza' and parts of the media.

There was talk of banning small scale poultry farming, banning imports, exterminating poultry stocks etc. etc. And yet less than 200 people died over a period of several years in a country of 250,000,000, countless numbers of whom raise chickens and eat untold millions of chickens every day.

Would you say that coming to Indonesia ~ with its "major problem, due to the significant damage" chickens could do to your health (or even kill you) ~ is "like buying a lottery ticket" or 'putting a loaded gun in your mouth'? ๐Ÿ˜‰

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
03 Sep 16

Abuse of alcohol can certainly be detrimental as well to a person's mental health. (Korsakoff syndrome to name just one).

The problem with weed is that you don't really know what you are smoking, or if you are one of those unfortunate people that will be severely affected by smoking it. (You will only know that retrospectively after the damage has been done).
"don't know what you're smoking" ... c'mon.

Specially if you grown your own and are aware of the seed and fertilizer needed.

It's hard to cut weed with sugar๐Ÿ˜€

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
03 Sep 16
1 edit

I work with people who struggle with mental health problems. I see first hand the effects drug use can have on their mental health. Why wouldn't that be sufficient for me to risk assess or designate it a major problem?

Am I saying 'all' people who smoke cannabis (or more worryingly skunk) will develop schizophrenia? Clearly not.- Am I (professiona ...[text shortened]... th, but still risk assess it as a major problem, due to the significant damage that can be done.
"Signifacant damage"...

What about the damage done by alcohol, is it not as or more significant, why single out weed? And what about making decisions for yourself base on your own self-knowledge, rather than others narrow-minded views. I don;t find you narrow minded generally but on this issue you really only SEEM to have one line of attack only

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
03 Sep 16

"Signifacant damage"...

What about the damage done by alcohol, is it not as or more significant, why single out weed? And what about making decisions for yourself base on your own self-knowledge, rather than others narrow-minded views. I don;t find you narrow minded generally but on this issue you really only SEEM to have one line of attack only
With respect, the conversation had moved from alcohol to drug use. (And you were the one who moved it). I've already said alcohol, if abused, can also impact negatively on a person's mental health. I've also said people make their own decisions on this issue, though hopefully with professional advice. I don't view professional advice as 'narrow minded.'

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Sep 16

"don't know what you're smoking" ... c'mon.

Specially if you grown your own and are aware of the seed and fertilizer needed.

It's hard to cut weed with sugar๐Ÿ˜€
It isn't too hard to dust it with PCP, either.

When I was in school, there was a guy in one of my classes that I learned had jumped out of his dorm room window to his death. I later found out that he had smoked some weed that night and ended up waking up his roommate saying "I can fly! I can fly! Watch!" Later it was found that the weed contained traces of PCP.

A little more than he bargained for, to be sure.

rc

Moves
03 Sep 16
2 edits

The arguement that not enough research , especially on long term users, is limited is bunk. There is an enourmous amount of research , one notable one done in India about 100 years ago on about 100 000 cases. Suffice to say that no notable problems were found, and this and other reports were ignored. Scientists went on pumping thc into rats to see how ...[text shortened]... much different with 'relaxing', or a relaxed state being the dominant effect for regular users.
there are far more healthier ways to relax. ASMR is pretty good if you find someone that can trigger the right response. Gym and sauna is pretty good too for releasing natural endorphins? in the brain which results in a feel good factor and sauna is way relaxing. Getting high on clean fresh air is the greatest thing evah!

F

Moves
03 Sep 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
How is it that you are saying [cannabis] has health benefits?
Did you read any of the material found at those links I provided you with?