1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 00:01
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Why would you accept a religion that allows the slaughter of Gods creatures and therefore love for God will not develop?
    You believe that vegetarianism is an important element of the spiritual dimension of your life. I respect this.
  2. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 02:111 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Interesting, I usually hear it put the reverse, we have free will in the sense we are responsible for the actions we take.
    We have the autonomy to make decisions and face the consequences.
    That doesn't negate what I said. Most people I talk to from across the table (debate with, i.e. non-Christians, skeptics, etc.) think of freewill as the ability to do anything you choose (that you are capable of) without coercion or boundary other than the laws we impose on ourselves. That's autonomy, i.e. mankind is a law unto itself. Autonomy doesn't mean no consequences. It means no boundaries have been set by a higher power and no coercion takes place by a higher power. Christians do not believe in this. To the Christian, God coerces us in a major way, by the use of grace and the "Holy Spirit." We may be free to make choices, but we are coerced through His grace into making certain key decisions.

If we had no free will in that sense we would not be responsible for any crimes we committed, as we wouldn't have the ability to not commit the crime. In the same way a computer program does what it was instructed to do and doesn't have any choice as to the outcome.
    Right. From the Christian perspective, God doesn't give us complete and total free will, but He also doesn't restrict it to the degree that we are forced to love Him or abide by His mandates.

In that instance if a computer program does something harmful, you blame the person who wrote the program, not the program itself.
    True. Keeping the Christian perspective going and not being sure whether you are making reference to programs as people and the programmer as God, it's different because we are sentient beings capable of gathering data and making our own decisions. We aren't robots.

However, I can't resist the temptation to continue with the concept of God as Master Programmer because that is exactly what I think He is. He "spoke" everything into existence. Computer language? He "fashioned all the planets..." really? Did He really get a hammer and chisel out and make them all by hand, or, are they part of a programmed holographic universe? A facade?

Just thinking outloud... not preaching or pretending to know any secret truths.

I hope you don't mind. It's my fault but I just blew this conversation up into a huge thing and now I'm running low on time. I'm working from home between posts. So I'm going to skip down if you don't take too much offense.

I would have to disagree with this position.
    The fact that we have boundaries on our freedoms does not remove the fact we have freedoms or free will.

AMEN! Wow, that is a very, VERY refreshing thought to come from a non-Christian (I don't know what to call you and I don't mean that in a demeaning way)! When Christians delve deeply into the very meaning of all this and study God's word, they/we must conclude that God has indeed established certain controls and does practice coercion on a certain level. We can either fight it and deny it, or be ok with it and enjoy the fact that other than a few certain things, we do have complete free will.

In reading the bible, particularly but not exclusively the New Covenant, we cannot help but understand that this is all about God and it's all up to God. God graces those whom He graces and doesn't grace others. Ultimately it's all on Him, and everything good and bad goes to His credit. These conclusions lead us away from a "I have total free will" conclusion to a "I have the will to choose most things but God will do the choosing when it comes to grace" conclusion. Again, we can either be comfortable with that (and I wouldn't expect a single non-Christian to be comfortable with it) or we can deny it. But it's in the book.
  3. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 02:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    You believe that vegetarianism is an important element of the spiritual dimension of your life. I respect this.
    Thankyou.

But it is not me that request persons on the spiritual path to refrain from animal slaughter.

It is the Vedas - the authority.

For to continue with animal slaughter - the consciousness will not be raised to the transcendental platform for love of God to develop.

There is not one person on the face of the earth that eats meat and truly loves God.

And the sole purpose of true religion is to understand God and develop love for God.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 03:36
    Thankyou.

But it is not me that request persons on the spiritual path to refrain from animal slaughter.

It is the Vedas - the authority.

For to continue with animal slaughter - the consciousness will not be raised to the transcendental platform for love of God to develop.

There is not one person on the face of the earth that eats meat and truly loves God.

And the sole purpose of true religion is to understand God and develop love for God.
    While personally not accepting the validity of almost anything you say about consciousness, I do respect your right to believe what you choose to believe. I do not see vegetarianism as a spiritual issue but understand fully that you do.
  5. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 03:382 edits
    Well, I enjoy meat on a regular basis, and MY God gave mankind dominion over the creatures of the Earth and encourages meat eating. That's not to say vegetarianism is frowned upon but eating meat is perfectly ok to the one, true God.

For you to say that if someone so much as puts a dollup of mayonnaise on their sandwich doesn't love God -- is quite a bold statement.
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 04:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    While personally not accepting the validity of almost anything you say about consciousness, I do respect your right to believe what you choose to believe. I do not see vegetarianism as a spiritual issue but understand fully that you do.
    Your atheistic comments are clear.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 04:01
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Well, I enjoy meat on a regular basis, and MY God gave mankind dominion over the creatures of the Earth and encourages meat eating. That's not to say vegetarianism is frowned upon but eating meat is perfectly ok to the one, true God.

For you to say that if someone so much as puts a dollup of mayonnaise on their sandwich doesn't love God -- is quite a bold statement.
    If you embrace false teachings then you may find pleasure in doing anything you like.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 04:08
    Your atheistic comments are clear.
    'Not accepting what Dasa says' is not, by any means, a valid definition of "atheism". Your tendency to re-define words to make them mean what you want them to mean, is one of the causes of your communication and presentation problem. You are aware that I am a theist. Using words unconventionally will not alter this fact.
  9. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 04:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    'Not accepting what Dasa says' is not, by any means, a valid definition of "atheism". Your tendency to re-define words to make them mean what you want them to mean, is one of the causes of your communication and presentation problem. You are aware that I am a theist. Using words unconventionally will not alter this fact.
    Stop tearing theism apart and start defending it then.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 04:18
    Stop tearing theism apart and start defending it then.
    Well, in a small way, I suppose that's what I am doing when I reject your religionist hectoring. I think dogmatism and spirituality are in many ways incompatible. To point this out - or at least demonstrate it with my consistency in the face of browbeating, like that which you attempt - is to defend the broader embrace of theism that you seem unable to tolerate.
  11. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 09:34
    Originally posted by sumydid
    LOL I was kinda thinking the same thing.

And free will is a deeper subject than many people give it credit.

Are we talking about full autonomy, for example.
    Free will is defined as the partial freedom of the agent, in the acts of conscious choice, from the determining compulsion of heredity, environment,and circumstances.( refer page 532 of the Story Of Philosophy by Will Durant, pocket books edition.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 22:13
    Originally posted by josephw
    I try not to have illusions.

Isn't it self evident that we have a free will?
    So you struggle with illusions?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 22:43
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So you struggle with illusions?
    We all do.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 10:45
    Originally posted by josephw
    We all do.
    What kind of illusions? The illusion of a "happy family and a good wife"? 🙂
    Even if they are happy it doesn't mean they're not going to be sad the next day ...

Maybe "we all do", but there are huge discrepencies between different folk.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree