1. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 06:32
    Originally posted by galveston75
    But the obvious issue would be with the mainstream churches that do not see the importance of one on one teaching out in the cities and towns and door to door exactly like Jesus did and commanded us all to do.
    Yes the Catholic church is huge but how did they get that way? What is their history of how they've become so influincial? Could a lot of it hav ...[text shortened]... ent that so many are pulled into in seeing the man made beauty and adornment of their churches?
    The largest Church in Zambia is the Catholic Church. I am not aware of them ever using fear, control or even visual amazement (via Churches). They are the largest Church because they sent the most missionaries.
    Livingstone has over 150 denominations most of which came much later.
    There are JWs, but if they are preaching more than other denominations, they are clearly doing something wrong as they are not being very successful.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 06:54
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I think the same could be said about Scientology.
    Balderdash!
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 08:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Balderdash!
    I'm afraid it isn't, you're not that special.

To combat this epidemic, the Church of Scientology sponsors the largest nongovernmental anti-drug information and prevention campaign on Earth.

http://www.scientology.org/activity/anti-drug/anti-drug.html

Scientologies drug rehabilitation program, Narconon, has run since 1966.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 11:101 edit
    I'm afraid it isn't, you're not that special.

To combat this epidemic, the Church of Scientology sponsors the largest nongovernmental anti-drug information and prevention campaign on Earth.

http://www.scientology.org/activity/anti-drug/anti-drug.html

Scientologies drug rehabilitation program, Narconon, has run since 1966.
    sooo when was the last time a Scientologist came to your home personally to help you, I'd say never! They pall into insignificance when compared to the greatest work ever of preaching and teaching people earth-wide about Gods Kingdom. As for being the largest, i dispute that claim, for we ourselves have before the nineteen sixties produced a plethora of articles on drug abuse and with a circulation of some 25 million or so per month in more than 200 languages, well, we are the special ones, you just cant bring yourself to say it.

The most widely read magazine in the world

Frank takes six copies of the English-language Watchtower, while others select from of piles of Romanian, Italian and Polish editions. Every month, nearly 40 million copies of The Watchtower are printed in more than 180 languages and sent to 236 countries. There are no subscriptions and you won’t find it on newsstands, but it’s still hard to miss. Thanks to the efforts of Witnesses like the Tavolaccis, The Watchtower is the most widely distributed magazine in the world, with a circulation of more than 25 million. Last year, the world’s 7.3 million-strong Jehovah’s Witnesses spent 1.5 billion hours knocking on doors and “street Witnessing” — stopping folks in parks and on streets — to preach the “good news” with a copy of The Watchtower. Its closest competitors are AARP The Magazine (circulation 24.3 million) and Better Homes and Gardens (7.6 million). It doesn’t hurt that The Watchtower has been free since 1990, with the option of a small donation.

http://nyrm.org/2010/05/13/the-most-widely-read-magazine-in-the-world/
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 14:04
    sooo when was the last time a Scientologist came to your home personally to help you, I'd say never! They pall into insignificance when compared to the greatest work ever of preaching and teaching people earth-wide about Gods Kingdom. As for being the largest, i dispute that claim, for we ourselves have before the nineteen sixties produced a pletho ...[text shortened]... of a small donation.

http://nyrm.org/2010/05/13/the-most-widely-read-magazine-in-the-world/
    sooo when was the last time a Scientologist came to your home personally to help you, I'd say never!

No JW has ever come to my home to 'help me'. They used to pop round my Mums from time to time but only to post the literature through the door. Where i live at the moment, it's a 10 min walk to the Kingdom Hall, only once have i seen them on my street in the year i've lived here. A piece of paper was slipped under my door notifying me of the Easter celebration you have, didn't stop to say hello even though i was about.

As for Scientologists, i have been stopped by them a couple of times in the street. That's Scient'wallies' 2 - 0 JW's.

for we ourselves have before the nineteen sixties produced a plethora of articles on drug abuse

But the Scient'wallies have around 20 drug rehab clinics where people can go and detox and then rehabilitate. For an alcoholic it doesn't matter how many JW articles they read, what they need is medical expertise. You don't offer that. 3 - 0.

The most widely read magazine in the world

Mmmmmm, don't you mean, 'the most widely circulated magazine in the world'?! I know of three people who receive your literature, my mum, my girlfriends mum and my gran. None of them read and it ends up in the recycling bin. Im pretty sure that's the norm for other people also.

The question is, what would happen to your circulation if you started charging for your literature? It would plummet like a stone.

1.5 billion wasted hours and a colossal amount of money spent on something of which it could do so much more.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 16:29
    [b]sooo when was the last time a Scientologist came to your home personally to help you, I'd say never!

No JW has ever come to my home to 'help me'. They used to pop round my Mums from time to time but only to post the literature through the door. Where i live at the moment, it's a 10 min walk to the Kingdom Hall, only once have i seen them on my ...[text shortened]... colossal amount of money spent on something of which it could do so much more.[/b]
    Probably why no one has never knocked on your door is because of your heart condition. It appears from an outward view it may not be good and one that is not looking for the truth. One work of the angels is directing ones who are doing this work to the homes of ones who want to hear this message from Jesus.
    I can't read your heart but I think it's a good guess from wha tyou post here.

And well keep doing what Jesus said to do and you keep doing whatever it is you do. Deal?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 16:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    [b]Yes he did. But it's the big picture that we should all look at.

Do you see the word 'but' there? You agree that Jesus said one thing but you think we should do another. ie you disagree with Jesus.[/b]
    No disagreement with Jesus at all. You just don't understand the bigger picture.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 16:42
    Probably why no one has never knocked on your door is because of your heart condition. It appears from an outward view it may not be good and one that is not looking for the truth. One work of the angels is directing ones who are doing this work to the homes of ones who want to hear this message from Jesus.
    I can't read your heart but I think it's a g ...[text shortened]...

And well keep doing what Jesus said to do and you keep doing whatever it is you do. Deal?
    Tell me more about my 'heart condition'.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 18:342 edits
    [b]sooo when was the last time a Scientologist came to your home personally to help you, I'd say never!

No JW has ever come to my home to 'help me'. They used to pop round my Mums from time to time but only to post the literature through the door. Where i live at the moment, it's a 10 min walk to the Kingdom Hall, only once have i seen them on my colossal amount of money spent on something of which it could do so much more.[/b]
    that's disappointing, are you in central Manchester? if so ive been to that Kingdom hall to give a discourse in Urdu several times, id certainly pop round, id even bring my 1980s Japanese SG 3000, (champagne with golden machine heads) single piece electric guitar and we could make some groove 🙂 as for us and Scientology and their drug rehabs, I used to do social work in drug rehab, it was simply a place to manage the addiction, not to solve its root problems.
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 19:441 edit
    LOL man I don't know if anyone has noticed but I've been trying very hard not to go on a JW bashing tirade LOL Have you notice G-75 ? The kinder gentler Manny? LOL 😉 & 🙂

Anyway I think any group/sect/denomination/religion/whatever title you like that's spreading the good good news by having the bible translated into various languages is not so bad in that specially if no strings attached. Granted some translations are superior to others but it's noble to do such.

Manny
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 23:59
    that's disappointing, are you in central Manchester? if so ive been to that Kingdom hall to give a discourse in Urdu several times, id certainly pop round, id even bring my 1980s Japanese SG 3000, (champagne with golden machine heads) single piece electric guitar and we could make some groove 🙂 as for us and Scientology and their drug rehabs, I us ...[text shortened]... k in drug rehab, it was simply a place to manage the addiction, not to solve its root problems.
    The only drug rehab program in the world with a winning track record is the 12-step program. All others have a higher rate of relapse than not. If indeed you did social work in drug rehab, you would know this. 12-step does more than simply "manage the addiction", and its purpose is indeed to solve the root problems. I don't know anything about Scientology's drug rehab programs, but if they are not 12-step programs, then what you say is true, their drug rehab then is "simply a place to manage the addiction".
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 00:082 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The only drug rehab program in the world with a winning track record is the 12-step program. All others have a higher rate of relapse than not. If indeed you did social work in drug rehab, you would know this. 12-step does more than simply "manage the addiction", and its purpose is indeed to solve the root problems. I don't know anything about Scientolo n what you say is true, their drug rehab then is "simply a place to manage the addiction".
    i provided music therapy to drug rehab, that is through a through a local social work unit we visited drug rehabs and helped persons through music therapy. Four of my close friends are dead, all before they reached thirty either through the abuse of drugs or related crime. I am thankful to be alive, thanks to Jehovahs Witnesses!
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 00:20
    i provided music therapy to drug rehab, that is through a through a local social work unit we visited drug rehabs and helped persons through music therapy. Four of my close friends are dead, all before they reached thirty either through the abuse of drugs or related crime, dont tell me what works and doesn't work. I am thankful to be alive, thanks to Jehovahs Witnesses!
    So you have no personal experience with it, besides losing friends to drug addictions, or watching music therapy in action? So even though I have personal experience with drug rehab and you don't, my opinion of what works means nothing to you. That's fine. I guess.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 00:341 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So you have no personal experience with it, besides losing friends to drug addictions, or watching music therapy in action? So even though I have personal experience with drug rehab and you don't, my opinion of what works means nothing to you. That's fine. I guess.
    no personal experience with what? watching people die? visiting drug rehabs and offering music therapy through the social work department to those suffering addictions? Perhaps you would like the name and address of the senior social worker and project leader? yes that is fine and here you are like most namby pamby social workers deviod of reality offering a twelve point plan? strangely enough it never saved any of my friends who were in and out of rehab.
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 04:08
    At this point anything that is helping get people off drugs more power to it 😉 Both my sisters and my uncle and brother have been hooked on drugs at one point or another so I can relate on that level. I was a young teen and I would watch my uncle nod off then back on then off it was crazy. He was hooked on heroin. Dude is shot his liver is done I guess he almost died recently.

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree