1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 10:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I can't say I represent any particular denomination since I have
    attended the church services of many. My wife is United Methodist
    and I just took communion (bread and wine) with her a week ago.
    However, I was raised in a Baptist church and was baptized at 12
    and I am still on the membership list even though I have not
    attended that church since I left for military service. But I would
    classify myself as Protestant.
    Thank you, RJHinds.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 11:05
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Sorry but many prophicies in the Bible have not come to their finish yet... A prohecy can still continue or not even come to pass yet and just because the prophet is no longer alive means nothing.
    This is true, but I was speaking of new prophecies, not prophecies from true prophets yet to be fulfilled. The time has passed for people alive now to be making any new true sent-from-God prophecies.

And yes, this includes "prophecies" from those who would call themselves prophets, like the leader of the LDS church, or even the pope. There are no more true prophets among men today.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 11:11
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I'm not a mormon but every single mormon I have met "bears good fruit" so to say... The ones in positions in the church are all people who really would turn their cheek and they are also the ones who don't post on this slag filled "spirituality" forum.

In other words, of all denominations, If I was forced to make a sweeping generalisation I would have ...[text shortened]... chrisitians and if any religion is correct then it is theirs.... based on "their fruit."
    I beg to differ on this.

The typical rank-and-file Mormon, as you say, is indeed driven by their faith. Much, much more so than the church leaders. The higher up in the church you go, the more it is about appearances, rather than substance. And I daresay that their leader, the one they call Prophet, is not exactly on speaking terms with God. Oh, he may speak to God, but my bet is that God is not speaking to him.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 12:14
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    If someone can appear to bear good fruit then how are you supposed to judge whether a person is a false teacher or not?
    In a word, doctrine.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 12:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh no you misunderstand. Mormon religion is of no interest to me. But all the Mormons I have known personally, without exception, have been really engaging - and seemingly energized in a very positive way. I don't really know why exactly. By their faith perhaps. But it's not very big sample so perhaps I have just been unrepresentatively lucky.
    You misunderstand. I don't misunderstand. I was being facetious in a sarcastic kind of way. It's just my personal humor. I make myself laugh. Laughter is powerful stuff. I know you know that. I'm just saying.

I've learned to not look at the outside. The exterior is superficial and can be a facade covering the true interior. And what is even more insidious is that we fool ourselves with our own superficiality. We can believe our own lies.

People can be very courteous and polite and engaging, but underneath they are looking for ways to control you, to make you believe something that's not true.

The problem is we can't tell what a person is really like from the outside. We have to go inside to find the truth. While you may have met some nice people, you will be just as miffed by what the Mormons believe as you are about the rest of the "religionists".

People are what they believe, not always what they appear to be by a polished outside performance.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 12:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    One of your more quintessentially religionist posts, josephw. It seems you cannot process spirituality unless it comes in a prepackaged religion.
    You really don't know me John. Please stop putting me in your prepackaged religionist box.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 12:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    You really don't know me John. Please stop putting me in your prepackaged religionist box.
    The "box" as you put it is for my purposes, and so that you can know how I perceive you. For what it's worth, to my way of thinking, you are just about as religionist as they come.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 12:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I beg to differ on this.

The typical rank-and-file Mormon, as you say, is indeed driven by their faith. Much, much more so than the church leaders. The higher up in the church you go, the more it is about appearances, rather than substance. And I daresay that their leader, the one they call Prophet, is not exactly on speaking terms with God. Oh, he may speak to God, but my bet is that God is not speaking to him.
    That pretty much sums it up for ALL organized religions. Their goal is to get as many people possible into the faith of the month. Christianity is no different, nor Islam.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 12:451 edit
    I've learned to not look at the outside. The exterior is superficial and can be a facade covering the true interior. And what is even more insidious is that we fool ourselves with our own superficiality. We can believe our own lies.
    I support your right to believe what you want about yourself, up to and including your "own superficiality" and your "own lies", as you put it. It really is up to you.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 15:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's interesting that you should seek to tell me about what I might and might not get from participating on this site, what with me having been here for years and years, and all.
    It seems that my point has been made. 😏
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 16:03
    The problem is we can't tell what a person is really like from the outside. We have to go inside to find the truth. While you may have met some nice people, you will be just as miffed by what the Mormons believe as you are about the rest of the "religionists".
    Your analysis could hardly be more superficial, josephw. I am not "miffed" by what the Mormons believe. I am not "miffed" by what the likes of Dasa believe. I am not "miffed" by what my neighbours here in Indonesia believe. And I am not "miffed" by what you believe. You seem to live in a world populated with cardboard cutouts. As I said, all the Mormons I have known personally have been really engaging and energized in a very positive and spiritual way. For you to try to counter this personal testimony of mine by suggesting that I have somehow been 'taken in' by some of my dearest friends is pitifully partisan on your part.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 16:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That pretty much sums it up for ALL organized religions. Their goal is to get as many people possible into the faith of the month. Christianity is no different, nor Islam.
    Don't you think "MOST' would be more appropriate than "ALL"?
    To say "ALL" seems to me to be very arrogant on your part for
    how could you as a non-Christian possible know such a thing?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 16:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your analysis could hardly be more superficial, josephw. I am not "miffed" by what the Mormons believe. I am not "miffed" by what the likes of Dasa believe. I am not "miffed" by what my neighbours here in Indonesia believe. And I am not "miffed" by what you believe. You seem to live in a world populated with cardboard cutouts. As I said, all the Mormons I have k ...[text shortened]... ehow been 'taken in' by some of my dearest friends is pitifully partisan on your part.
    Sure. they are nice people. That is not the point. It is their
    belief in Joseph Smith as a prophet and the disappearing
    gold plates that supposedly contained the Book of Morman is
    their problem.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 16:191 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is their belief in Joseph Smith as a prophet and the disappearing
    gold plates that supposedly contained the Book of Morman is
    their problem.
    It is no more or less of a 'problem' than any other religionist 'folklore' package.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 16:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    It is no more or less of a 'problem' than any other religionist 'folklore' package.
    Well, at least, now you have finally said something that I can
    totally agree with you. Yes, they are all a problem because
    they distract from the truth and helps Satan with his fight
    for man's soul.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree