1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 23:15
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, as the other atheists on this site do. I'm trying to separate the baby from the bathwater by throwing out just the mythological aspects. If you insist on clinging to them both, you're just ensuring that both eventually will be thrown out. By keeping Christianity locked in the Middle Ages by insisting that no ...[text shortened]... irgin births and resurrections are literally true, you're dooming all of it to obsolescence.
    NOT believing they are true is what will doom all of it to obsolescence.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 00:07
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]You don't know much about manuscript evidence do you?

Manuscript evidence?! Someone wrote something down on a piece of paper a long time ago so now it has to be true.

Do you believe all the stories contained in Greek mythology? If not, why not?[/b]
    Is God a myth?

According to scientific evolutionary philosophy God is a myth, and so is anything that doesn't stand the test of science. It is said that early man invented a god or gods to explain natural phenomenon. Is that so? I think it's presumptuous to draw that conclusion.

While it may be true that gods have been invented by someone somewhere, it doesn't follow logically that that is true in every case.

Science doesn't have the tools to test to see whether there be a God or not. It is closed minded to assume that there isn't a God simply because one can't see God. If there is a God He is invisible. Obviously. But to flat out say there is no God simply because God is undetectable, if God exists, is nothing short of narrow minded.

There are many myths and fables and folklore and fictions in this world. They have been generated by civilisations as far back as human history. We are aware of their origins and authors. We can trace much of it, but not all.

For one to make the assertion that the Bible is full of myths one would have to know quite a bit. But we know that many who claim to know quite a bit really know very little because what they really know is false.

The bottom line is we believe who and what we choose to believe. Some of us know the difference between what is true and what is false. We know who is lying and who is telling the truth. The real question is, how?
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 11:10
    Originally posted by josephw
    One and the same essentially.

The book we call the Bible is a collection of 66 books which contain the Word of God. 66 books written by 40 men each inspired by God to pen the words which have been preserved through time.
    An assertion so ridiculous as to be unworthy of debate.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 11:16
    Is God a myth?

According to scientific evolutionary philosophy God is a myth, and so is anything that doesn't stand the test of science. It is said that early man invented a god or gods to explain natural phenomenon. Is that so? I think it's presumptuous to draw that conclusion.

While it may be true that gods have been invented by someone somewhere, it ...[text shortened]... at is false. We know who is lying and who is telling the truth. The real question is, how?
    I'm not sure what your point is.

Can we try again? Do you believe all the stories contained in Greek mythology? If not, why not?
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 11:24
    Is God a myth?

While it may be true that gods have been invented by someone somewhere, it ...[text shortened]... at is false. We know who is lying and who is telling the truth. The real question is, how?
    You conflate (albeit with capitalisation) a god and "God"
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 12:04
    Originally posted by Agerg
    You conflate (albeit with capitalisation) a god and "God"
    Its a common mistake of nominal Christians unversed in the intricacies of Greek
    grammatical construct.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 15:341 edit
    Originally posted by 667joe
    According to Penn (of Penn and Teller), if you are not 100% sure god exists, you are an atheist. If you are 100% sure god exists, (something that has not been proven), you are very arrogant. To further the situation, if you are arrogant, you are not being humble as Jesus commands.
    Penn, I believe he is the "big loud mouth" who does all the talking, is
    definitely an atheist and wants everyone else to believe as he does.
    I don't know about the little guy, he keeps his mouth shut but seems
    to go along with the big guy.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 15:44
    I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, as the other atheists on this site do. I'm trying to separate the baby from the bathwater by throwing out just the mythological aspects. If you insist on clinging to them both, you're just ensuring that both eventually will be thrown out. By keeping Christianity locked in the Middle Ages by insisting that no ...[text shortened]... irgin births and resurrections are literally true, you're dooming all of it to obsolescence.
    When Jesus used those parable stories to present a truth, do you consider
    them in the category of mythology? If you do, then to you must remove
    many things that makes understanding possible.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Oct '11 02:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    When Jesus used those parable stories to present a truth, do you consider
    them in the category of mythology? If you do, then to you must remove
    many things that makes understanding possible.
    They are stories that are meant to convey a larger point. Where Christians go awry is that they fixate upon the form of the stories, and insist that details must be literally true, while forgetting the overall point the story was meant to convey. All of Jesus' parables were meant to be allegories. But Christians have missed the point entirely by mistaking the means for conveying the point of the story with the point of the story itself.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Oct '11 04:47
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    An assertion so ridiculous as to be unworthy of debate.
    An assertion so true as to be impossible to debate.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Oct '11 04:49
    I'm not sure what your point is.

Can we try again? Do you believe all the stories contained in Greek mythology? If not, why not?
    This is not the proper forum to discuss Greek mythology. We should be discussing spiritual truth.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Oct '11 04:54
    They are stories that are meant to convey a larger point. Where Christians go awry is that they fixate upon the form of the stories, and insist that details must be literally true, while forgetting the overall point the story was meant to convey. All of Jesus' parables were meant to be allegories. But Christians have missed the point entirely by mistaking the means for conveying the point of the story with the point of the story itself.
    Are these words spoken by a true Christian? I somehow doubt it since he
    provides no authoritative reference, like from the Holy Bible.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Oct '11 08:27
    This is not the proper forum to discuss Greek mythology. We should be discussing spiritual truth.
    Don't you mean Spiritual Truth©?

This is the spirituality forum Ron, let me remind of the description of this forum -

Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after.

There are many religions, not just your version of Christianity®. Ancient Greek is another religion, now if you don't like it i suggest you throw your toys out the pram again and disappear in a strop like last time.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Oct '11 12:30
    Don't you mean Spiritual Truth©?

This is the spirituality forum Ron, let me remind of the description of this forum -

Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after.

There are many religions, not just your version of Christianity®. Ancient Greek is another religion, now if you don't like it i suggest you throw your toys out the pram again and disappear in a strop like last time.
    It has already been determined that mythology is untrue stories. There
    is no need to waste our time on that. It would be more profitable to
    discuss those that are believed to be true so we may determine what is
    true and what is untrue.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Oct '11 13:22
    It has already been determined that mythology is untrue stories. There
    is no need to waste our time on that. It would be more profitable to
    discuss those that are believed to be true so we may determine what is
    true and what is untrue.
    Sorry to dent your ego Ron, but you don't get to decide what is discussed in the forum. You certainly don't get to decide what i wish to discuss here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree