1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 09:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think science has it right, the earth is billions of years old.
    How do you know? If God created the universe as is what would man be able to do to tell
    the difference between an old one and a new one?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 13:24
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    How do you know? If God created the universe as is what would man be able to do to tell
    The age of the universe has been measured using a variety of independent technological systems, including radio-active dating, Doppler shifts in starlight, and isotropic "3 degree above zero" radiation background. The methods of these studies are totally unrelated. Therefore, an error that might have occurred in one would not appear in the others. Yet the data taken from these diverse studies present a strong and scientifically consistent argument for a very old Earth and an even older universe.

As for what the Bible has to say on the subject, watch the video I presented. People assume too much.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 17:22
    "How do you know? If God created the universe as is what would man be able to do to tell the difference between an old one and a new one?"

There is a debate between Lastthursdayists and Justnowists that is equally sensible.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 19:13
    How do you know? If God created the universe as is what would man be able to do to tell the difference between an old one and a new one?
    If God intentionally made it look like the universe was old, then you could not tell the difference. However, I believe you have in the past stated that you do not believe God created a fake history of the universe. If I recall correctly your cognitive dissonance on that issue is what caused you to stop talking to me.
    If we see a star that is one million years old, and God actually created the universe 10 thousand years ago, then the star is fake. You danced around this issue refusing to say whether or not you thought the stars are fake and eventually accused me of lying about what your position was, but refused to say what I lied about or what your position actually was but instead announced that you would never talk to me again.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 19:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If God intentionally made it look like the universe was old, then you could not tell the difference. However, I believe you have in the past stated that you do not believe God created a fake history of the universe. If I recall correctly your cognitive dissonance on that issue is what caused you to stop talking to me.
    If we see a star that is one million ...[text shortened]... or what your position actually was but instead announced that you would never talk to me again.
    Given your hatred for anyone that claims a religion, his reaction to you probably covers more than just one conversation.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 20:09
    Originally posted by JS357
    "How do you know? If God created the universe as is what would man be able to do to tell the difference between an old one and a new one?"

There is a debate between Lastthursdayists and Justnowists that is equally sensible.
    The prankster God returns, desperate to have us believe he's not real.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 20:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Given your hatred for anyone that claims a religion, his reaction to you probably covers more than just one conversation.
    Just to be clear, I do not have hatred for anyone on this forum.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jan '16 02:06
    So you are assuming we humans have the only intelligent (allegedly) civilization? Suppose there are many worlds like ours with intelligent folks on it. would your god be trying to fool them also?

Seems to me just another argument from the 'importance of humans' idea. Where humans are SO important to a god it would have made it LOOK like the universe was billions of years old just to fool us. Of course that would only have been effective in the 20th and 21st century, so all of time before that, it would not have been necessary since nobody questioned the age of Earth back a few thousand years ago.

Sp the joke would only be meant not only for humans but for humans of ONLY the 20th and 21st century.

Kind of a delayed joke, don't you think?
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Jan '16 02:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you are assuming we humans have the only intelligent (allegedly) civilization? Suppose there are many worlds like ours with intelligent folks on it. would your god be trying to fool them also?

Seems to me just another argument from the 'importance of humans' idea. Where humans are SO important to a god it would have made it LOOK like the universe was ...[text shortened]... ns but for humans of ONLY the 20th and 21st century.

Well yes, but if God is omniscient then he knew we'd work it out if the world was supported by some elephants on the back of a turtle.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jan '16 05:33
    There are other theories RJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhrdtTG0nTw
    I believe that the six days of Genesis are ordinary days. So the earth can't be billions of years old.

The Six Days of Creation in Genesis

YouTube
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jan '16 06:12
    The age of the universe has been measured using a variety of independent technological systems, including radio-active dating, Doppler shifts in starlight, and isotropic "3 degree above zero" radiation background. The methods of these studies are totally unrelated. Therefore, an error that might have occurred in one would not appear in the others. Yet the ...[text shortened]... what the Bible has to say on the subject, watch the video I presented. People assume too much.
    I know people use methods to get results and all proclaim these results mean age. So if
    the universe is in fact young and those results all still say the same thing, would that than
    mean the results were giving those results for different reasons? Being consistent does not
    mean the results mean what we claim they do, it is still faith.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jan '16 06:141 edit

Seems to me just another argument from the 'importance of humans' idea. Where humans are SO important to a god it would have made it LOOK like the universe was ...[text shortened]... ns but for humans of ONLY the 20th and 21st century.

I'm not sure why you'd think God is trying to fool you, if we were coming up with our own
    reasons to make the claims we make, than it is us not God who is moving us down a path of
    error.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jan '16 06:16
    Originally posted by JS357

I don't claim what I believe is a fact, I say I believe this to be true due too....
    With those that claim they know how old it is do not believe they are possibly wrong, I have
    to leave room for it.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jan '16 06:181 edit

"Where humans are SO important to a god it would have made it LOOK like the universe was billions of years old just to fool us."

The universe just looks like the universe, your the one applying age to it for your own reasons.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jan '16 07:252 edits
    The age of the universe has been measured using a variety of independent technological systems, including radio-active dating, Doppler shifts in starlight, and isotropic "3 degree above zero" radiation background. The methods of these studies are totally unrelated. Therefore, an error that might have occurred in one would not appear in the others. Yet the ...[text shortened]... what the Bible has to say on the subject, watch the video I presented. People assume too much.
    Your video does not present any convincing evidence for an old earth and universe. Here is a better video for you:

Answers

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree