Old Earth & Young Earth Creationism

Old Earth & Young Earth Creationism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Jan 16

Originally posted by whodey
Kelly Jay, do you believe time is relative?
To what? 🙂

w

Moves
05 Jan 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
To what? 🙂
Do you agree with this statement.

Time is not a constant For example, experiments have been done with atomic clocks. One atomic clock is stationary and timed exactly with another atomic clock sent on a plane ride around the world. When the plane travels around the world going hundreds of miles an hour, the two atomic clocks no longer have the same exact time. The one traveling hundreds of miles per hour is seconds faster.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Jan 16

Originally posted by RJHinds
Each day in Genesis is one full rotation of the earth as it is today. No Sun was needed for God to tell time. 😏
How many times does the Earth rotate in a year Mr Hinds?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Jan 16

Unless you can show it means something different I'd say the time required to have one
was the same. Since God was the one sharing about how it happen, His perspective would
not be hindered by how we look and measure things, it would mean the same thing.
The same thing as what?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
05 Jan 16

I do not call Genesis a theory, it is a written text that was passed down through the ages,
that either is correct or not, a theory is different.

My point has been we do not know how the universe started, this is foundational to
everyone's thoughts on what we should be looking at with respect to what we can look at
to glean how old the universe is. If ...[text shortened]... ive through time.

Faith is the word your looking for with respect to scripture not "knowing".
I didn't use the word "theory" with regard to the Genesis story. I tend to agree with you about theories, where we seem to differ is on the word "know". I'm not certain you can't use the word "know". Knowledge is justified belief which is true, however we run into a problem with the word "true". There's a straightforward epistemological problem with describing any statement which is contingent, in other words not a logical tautology, or the fact of one's own existence as true. So although I'm sitting here with a coffee, I cannot be epistemologically certain the coffee exists. I can give you some justifications which most of the human race will accept, but I cannot absolutely logically rule out that it doesn't exist. I have direct experience of my own existence, but everything else is mediated by my senses. So to claim that something is true I need some sort of truth test. Which in practical terms means that whether something counts as knowledge depends on the justification. If you take the Bible as the inviolate Word of God then you basically have epistemological justification for claiming to know these things. The statement rests on God existing and the Bible being literally true, the only doubt lies in your interpretation of the words and the correctness of the translation. The problem you have is that not everyone is going to agree that God exists and fewer still will agree on the literal truth of the histories in the Bible. But that is to do with the type of justification you are using, not that you have none.

By the same token, although resting on a different type of justification, I'd claim to know that the Higgs Boson exists because the probability of the result coming about by chance is so low as to be safely dismissed (1 chance in half a billion), probably better now they've turned LHC back on.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Jan 16

Originally posted by DeepThought
How far away do you think the Andromeda galaxy is and how long do you think the light from it takes to get here? Entirely for my entertainment I'd like to read your explanation as to why we can see something which is so far away that had the universe been created 6,000 years ago the light from it wouldn't arrive here for another 250 million years.
It does not matter how far away the Andromeda galaxy is from earth. The Holy Bible says God spread out the heavens, so what matters is that we see the light. In spreading out the heavens, God must have also spread out the light.

Speed of light not so constant after all

Science News Magazine issue: Vol. 187, No. 4, February 21, 2015, p. 7

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/speed-light-not-so-constant-after-all

It is a false assumption that we can determine the age of the earth and all the stars by calculating distances or assuming the speed of light is always a constant speed and has never changed.

The Near Genius 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Jan 16

Time is not a constant RJ. For example, experiments have been done with atomic clocks. One atomic clock is stationary and timed exactly with another atomic clock sent on a plane ride around the world. When the plane travels around the world going hundreds of miles an hour, the two atomic clocks no longer have the same exact time. The one traveling hundreds of miles per hour is seconds faster.

Do you take issue with this RJ or do you believe it?
I never said time is always a constant. That does not prove the earth is 4.5 Billion years old does it?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
05 Jan 16
1 edit

It does not matter how far away the Andromeda galaxy is from earth. The Holy Bible says God spread out the heavens, so what matters is that we see the light. In spreading out the heavens, God must have also spread out the light.

[b]Speed of light not so constant after all

Science News Magazine issue: Vol. 187, No. 4, February 21, 2015, p. 7

ht ...[text shortened]... ming the speed of light is always a constant speed and has never changed.

The Near Genius 😏[/b]
You've misunderstood the report. The limiting speed in relativity, called the speed of light, is not expected to change because of this. The speed at which these structured photons travel is. We would not expect star light to have this property. The bigger problem for you is that the effect is in the wrong direction. You need light to be going faster rather than slower to reconcile the astronomical evidence with a 6,000 year old time-scale in the way you are trying to.

The link to the actual paper is here:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1411.3987v1.pdf

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Jan 16
2 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
Which you, of course, being the diligent reporter you are, already did the calculus and thus verified his data before you put it up here, right?
No, I did not take the time to verify it, but it makes sense to me.

After all, they didn't measure much dust on the moon, did they. Someone calculated that was about enough dust for about 6,000 years. I did not verify that either, but it makes sense to me, 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Jan 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
Have you ever heard of the inverse square law? We know on Earth and anywhere in the solar system because we have been there, now have probes out 5 billion miles away from Earth.

Here is the thing. The inverse square law says, because light and radio waves, if the emission is a spherical wavefront, it's a geometrical thing. If you look at the power of a s ...[text shortened]... genda other than finding what we consider the best truth about the subject, just like evolution.
Dr Jason Lisle - Astronomy Reveals 6,000 Year Old Earth

w

Moves
05 Jan 16
1 edit

I never said time is always a constant. That does not prove the earth is 4.5 Billion years old does it?
Well hold on then.

What if earth accelerated to the speed of light away from the universe and then came back, how old would it be? Conversely, what if the universe speeded up to the speed of light and then came back to earth. How old would it be?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Jan 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
How many times does the Earth rotate in a year Mr Hinds?
In a solar year the earth rotates about 366.242 times. 😏

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Jan 16

In a solar year the earth rotates about 366.242 times. 😏
so how many days in a year?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Jan 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
so how many days in a year?
One astronomical year is a single rotation of the earth around the sun.

Experts say the true length of a year on Earth is 365.2422 days.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Jan 16

Well hold on then.

What if earth accelerated to the speed of light away from the universe and then came back, how old would it be? Conversely, what if the universe speeded up to the speed of light and then came back to earth. How old would it be?
I don't know. This doesn't make sense to me. What is your point?