1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 07:57
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Omnipotent is unlimited infinite power, and what is power, its the energy, potency, intelligence, creativeness to act or do, and for God, (without limit or boundries.)

vishva
    Omnipotent is unlimited infinite power

Similar question to what I asked josephw: would "unlimited infinite power" include the power to bring about logically impossible states of affairs?
  2. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:051 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    How should we formulate the notion of 'omnipotence'. And, for those theists who hold that God is omnipotent, what exactly is meant by this?

I have been thinking about it, and I have many concerns for the prospects of formulating the notion in terms of either the power to bring about certain states of affairs or the power to do certain things.

For e
    -----------
    **http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox
    It is logically possible that an actual, brand new dollar bill will be created tomorrow. But if God attempts to create a dollar bill, it will be a counterfeit. It is logically possible that I remember my recent visual experience. But God cannot remember my recent visual experience. These are two examples that were given to me, way back in an introductory philosophy course, in an attempt to make waves for notions of omnipotence like O1. I take it the idea is that some performances can only be successful when the performer bears a certain type of relationship to something else. The creator of the dollar bill has to be sanctioned by the treasury. To remember an experience (rather than merely seeming to remember, or having a state phenomenologically indistinguishable from an actual memory) requires that one be the person that actually had that experience.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:061 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It is no different than saying I can draw a square circle....it cannot be done so it
    isn't anything anyone can do no matter how much power or knowledge they have.
    If it can be done, if it can be known, than you have omnipotent, if it cannot be
    done than why bring it up? 🙂
    Kelly
    What is it that you are claiming cannot be done? Creating something that has the property that its creator cannot lift it? That's easy enough – I can do it. I'm sure you could, too. Wouldn't that mean an omnipotent being could not do everything that we can do? But I guess one of my points here is that this is neither a slight to the omnipotent being, nor is it a credit to us. Our "power" to do this actually means that our lifting powers are limited (it's a negative disguised as a positive).
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:07
    My forays into logic, for what they're worth, have yielded the insight that the solace of logic is often deflationary in kind. (The logical demolition of the Argument to Design is quite something).

Here, I'd say something like it is always true that G is in possession of every power, including the power to resolve logical contradictions like unliftable rocks.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:09
    Originally posted by bbarr
    It is logically possible that an actual, brand new dollar bill will be created tomorrow. But if God attempts to create a dollar bill, it will be a counterfeit. It is logically possible that I remember my recent visual experience. But God cannot remember my recent visual experience. These are two examples that were given to me, way back in an introductory philosophy course, in an attempt to make waves for notions of omnipotence like O1.
    I think there are a lot of interesting examples to consider. In the Stanford encyclopedia link I posted, the article has some interesting examples that it claims makes problems for, say, the idea that an omnipotent being should be able to bring about any contingent states of affairs.
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:11
    [b]Omnipotent is unlimited infinite power

Similar question to what I asked josephw: would "unlimited infinite power" include the power to bring about logically impossible states of affairs?[/b]
    Yes, but you will probably never be the witness of such an event on this planet....remember existence is infinite and there are inumerable universes out there, and who can go to everyone looking for that particular occurance.

vishva
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:22
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Yes, but you will probably never be the witness of such an event on this planet....remember existence is infinite and there are inumerable universes out there, and who can go to everyone looking for that particular occurance.

vishva
    But, to be clear, you are saying that there are possible worlds wherein logically impossible state(s) of affairs obtain? Seems self-contradictory to me.
  8. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:43
    I think there are a lot of interesting examples to consider. In the Stanford encyclopedia link I posted, the article has some interesting examples that it claims makes problems for, say, the idea that an omnipotent being should be able to bring about any contingent states of affairs.
    What of the notion of "bring about"? Are we talking about bringing some state of affairs about directly, via an act of will? Are we talking about bringing some state of affairs about indirectly, through typical causal channels?
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:491 edit
    The problem I have is in the formulation of 'omnipotence'. I have no real problems with the so-called paradox of the stone itself because I think there simply is no paradox. I think arguments centered on the paradox of the stone are unsound. For instance, the argument could be delivered in the following way:

(1) Either it is the case that X can crea blem. I suppose the answer to (A) would be yes, and the answer to (B) would be no.
    Why would the answer to B be no?

Why can't an omnipotent being bring about that it becomes an amoeba? (Yes, I know it sounds silly, but I don't see it as being logically impossible).
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:53
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Would an infinite rock be logically impossible? If so, can an omnipotent being create any finite sized rock? Surely mathematically we end up with the age old problem of "any finite rock as size tends to infinity" being remarkably similar to "an infinite sized rock".
    But I'm not sure why an infinite rock would be logically impossible. What contradiction would follow from an infinite rock?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:53
    But I'm not sure why an infinite rock would be logically impossible. What contradiction would follow from an infinite rock?
    Where does it fit?
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:54
    Originally posted by ua41
    If one were omnipotent, does one have to be constrained by logic?
    Surely you don’t believe you can have both p and not p?
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 08:56
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Where does it fit?
    In an infinite universe.
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 09:00
    Originally posted by ua41
    If one were omnipotent, does one have to be constrained by logic?
    Logic applies at all levels, by definition.

Some things *appear* illogical (e.g. certain events in quantum mechanics). We just do not understand it yet.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 09:00
    Originally posted by Palynka
    In an infinite universe.
    So the infinite rock fills up the infinite universe?
    Hmm...
    I guess I could see that. Any room for observers?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree